Book Suggestions?

You can talk about anything here
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Book Suggestions?

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

My job has a stupid amount of downtime, which I have been filling by reading. I'm averaging about a book a week, so will run through my backlog fairly quickly. Anyone have any suggestions? I usually stick to fantasy, but will take anything that sounds interesting.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Re: Book Suggestions?

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Finished The Savior's Champion a couple days ago by Jenna Moreci. It's written pretty good even though I was a bit iffy on what the plot might have been going in. It's kinda like The Bachelorette...meets Gladiator...which would be a hell of a lot better way to get me to watch The Bachelorette if those fuckers were killing each other :P

Not sure if that's really up your alley, but I thought it was good, and I read it in less than a week, which is really fast for me considering it's over 500 pages long. I have an issue with the ending though...only because it's basically cliffhangered for its sequel book coming out soon.

I follow the author's youtube channel for writing advice and tips, so I thought I'd actually read the new book she had out.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Finished The Savior's Champion a couple days ago by Jenna Moreci. It's written pretty good even though I was a bit iffy on what the plot might have been going in. It's kinda like The Bachelorette...meets Gladiator...which would be a hell of a lot better way to get me to watch The Bachelorette if those fuckers were killing each other :P

Not sure if that's really up your alley, but I thought it was good, and I read it in less than a week, which is really fast for me considering it's over 500 pages long. I have an issue with the ending though...only because it's basically cliffhangered for its sequel book coming out soon.

I follow the author's youtube channel for writing advice and tips, so I thought I'd actually read the new book she had out.
I have a strict policy of not reading a book that's part of a series unless the series is complete. It's why I haven't read Song of Ice and Fire yet. Ya never know if the author might die(Wheel of Time, though Sanderson finished it and did a hell of a job), or just keep it going endlessly(fucking Dresden Files).
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Ah, that makes sense.

I couldn't even finish the first Dresden book. Ugh. I have issues with 1st person narrative, and the main character was dreadfully dull & generic.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Ah, that makes sense.

I couldn't even finish the first Dresden book. Ugh. I have issues with 1st person narrative, and the main character was dreadfully dull & generic.
There's a handful of decent books, but the rest are garbage.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

The first book that came to mind is Dean Koontz Dragon Tears
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Brian Keene's Dark Hollow was pretty good, aside from the forced hip-hop kid thrown, but he's such a minor character it doesn't really effect it like his ghetto zombies in The Rising.

Dark Hollow involves a Satyr that haunts a park behind a neighborhood that winds up seducing the wives to become his sex slaves and he'll gore any husbands or boyfriends that get in the way.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Not just a recommendation for you but to everyone Dean Koontz The Voice of the Night was a book I read in the 90's that is still to this day one of the best books I've ever read.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Goosebumps
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Don't know if a female lead is your thing, but Nevernight was pretty damn good, just finished reading that one last night. THere's two more in the series, the third just came out a few weeks ago. However if that's the end of the series, I don't know, so you might scratch that off :/