Top 10 Anthology Horror Movies

Anything that doesn't fit into the above categories.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Top 10 Anthology Horror Movies

Post by Tiggnutz »

10. From A Whisper to a Scream
9. Tales from the Darkside the movie
8. Cats Eye
7. Tales of Halloween
6. Nightmares
5. Creepshow 2
4. Black Sabbath
3. Twighlight Zone the movie
2. Trick r Treat
1. Creepshow
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Re: Top 10 Anthology Horror Movies

Post by Tiggnutz »

Not really pleased with the participation in this thread :|
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i need to watch more anthology movies before making a list. trick r treat doesn't feel as much like an anthology as the others do, but it is segmented, i guess.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

zombie wrote:i need to watch more anthology movies before making a list. trick r treat doesn't feel as much like an anthology as the others do, but it is segmented, i guess.
Your Trick r Treat point is valid I will need to think on this more.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

An anthology is any film comprised of short tales, some with an overarching story to connect them all. So I don't see why Trick R' Treat wouldn't count.

I didn't make a list, because I suck at making lists, let alone picking anthologies which contain an average 3-4 films in one. I do love anthologies, though.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

if you include movies with an overarching story and characters shared among the segments, then trick r treat would apply as an anthology.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

zombie wrote:if you include movies with an overarching story and characters shared among the segments, then trick r treat would apply as an anthology.
A good chunk of anthologies have overarching stories, so that shouldn't even be in question. Creepshow, Cat's Eye, Tales From the Darkside, Body Bags, even new stuff like VHS and Southbound do that.

Shared characters? Not really, more like cameos. All the stories are happening in the same place, at roughly the same time, so it makes sense for some characters to be seen in multiple segments. Southbound and All Hallow's Eve do that, and I'm I'm sure there's others, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

yes, shared characters. the father who lives next to brian cox' character, for instance, plays a large role in at least two segments. but yeah, most of the others are just cameos. trick r treat feels more like pulp fiction to me. whereas i see an anthology as being mostly unrelated stories.

i have yet to see southbound though. and you are welcome to not seeing it my way. just giving my opinion.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

zombie wrote:yes, shared characters. the father who lives next to brian cox' character, for instance, plays a large role in at least two segments. but yeah, most of the others are just cameos. trick r treat feels more like pulp fiction to me. whereas i see an anthology as being mostly unrelated stories.

i have yet to see southbound though. and you are welcome to not seeing it my way. just giving my opinion.
There's no need for opinions when there's an actual definition. It's a collection of stories. Plain and simple.

Southbound is pretty good, give it a watch. I really like how the stories inter-connect, as it's not the normal way of doing things, and makes for a seemless jump from one story to the next. Plus it's just weird, which is great.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

if magnolia and pulp fiction count as anthology films, i have no problem calling trick r treat the same.

will add southbound to my watchlist. thanks for the recommendation.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

zombie wrote:if magnolia and pulp fiction count as anthology films, i have no problem calling trick r treat the same.

Never saw Magnolia or Pulp Fiction, so I can't can't say for sure. From my understanding, Pulp Fiction follows a day in the life of hitmen Jackson and Travolta as they have run-ins with a variety of characters. If that's anywhere near correct, then I don't see how you'd consider that an anthology, since it's one story. I've heard it was shown out of chronological order, but that's still one story, just mixed up for cinematic effect. As for Magnolia, I don't really know anything about it, and a quick search didn't help explain things.

One of few good new horror films imo.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Slaughterhouserock wrote:
zombie wrote:if magnolia and pulp fiction count as anthology films, i have no problem calling trick r treat the same.

Never saw Magnolia or Pulp Fiction, so I can't can't say for sure. From my understanding, Pulp Fiction follows a day in the life of hitmen Jackson and Travolta as they have run-ins with a variety of characters. If that's anywhere near correct, then I don't see how you'd consider that an anthology, since it's one story. I've heard it was shown out of chronological order, but that's still one story, just mixed up for cinematic effect. As for Magnolia, I don't really know anything about it, and a quick search didn't help explain things.

maybe i'm remembering pulp fiction wrong. but i recall it having different stories. i don't remember the bruce willis story really connecting to the travolta/jackson story except by cameo for instance. i don't like the movie, so i'm not likely revisit. but yeah. :P
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

zombie wrote:
Slaughterhouserock wrote:

maybe i'm remembering pulp fiction wrong. but i recall it having different stories. i don't remember the bruce willis story really connecting to the travolta/jackson story except by cameo for instance. i don't like the movie, so i'm not likely revisit. but yeah. :P
Yes several different stories
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

After Midnight must be seen.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Southbound was my favorite new watch during the last challenge. Good stuff. Still waiting for a blu ray to be released :P
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Southbound was my favorite new watch during the last challenge. Good stuff. Still waiting for a blu ray to be released :P
specifically blu-ray? there is a region 1 dvd. it's weird that they wouldn't do blu-ray too, though.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

After Midnight.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

zombie wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Southbound was my favorite new watch during the last challenge. Good stuff. Still waiting for a blu ray to be released :P
specifically blu-ray? there is a region 1 dvd. it's weird that they wouldn't do blu-ray too, though.
Yeah, I'd rather purchase new stuff on blu ray, and only upgrade DVD if I feel necessary. I know about the dvd, but I've been holding out. I may cave come October though.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:After Midnight.
what is the tone of that one?
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:After Midnight.
what is the tone of that one?
Coeds swap stories one night with their professor who's teaching a course called "The Psychology of Fear".

It feels like Trilogy of Terror.