Search
   
Members

Calendar

Help

Home
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 


Craven or Carpenter?
 Moderated by: God  

New Topic

Reply

Print
Poll
Wes Craven or John Carpenter
   
   
View Results
 

Vote
AuthorPost
Horror_Freak
Member
 

Joined: Sat Apr 23rd, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 42
Favorite Films: 
Gender: 
Status:  Offline
 Posted: Mon Mar 26th, 2012 10:56 am

Quote

Reply
So in terms of making decent and scary film, who do you think is a better director, Wes Craven or John Carpenter?

Sebastian
Administrator


Joined: Tue May 3rd, 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 61595
Favorite Films: Hellraiser, Takashi Miike films, Beat Takeshi films, Friday the 13th, ...
Gender: Male
Status:  Offline
 Posted: Mon Mar 26th, 2012 11:00 am

Quote

Reply
Although I think he has a few clearly very weak entries, I do like Carpenter.

 



____________________
JigsawX
Charter Member


Joined: Fri Jun 12th, 2009
Location: Muncie, Indiana USA
Posts: 27063
Favorite Films: Slaughter High, My Bloody Valentine, Halloween, The Burning, etc.
Gender: Male
Status:  Online
 Posted: Mon Mar 26th, 2012 11:21 am

Quote

Reply
Craven's best
1. The Last House on the Left
2. The Hills Have Eyes
3. A Nightmare on Elm Street
4. Shocker (I enjoyed it, anyways)
5. Scream

Carpenter's best
1. Halloween
2. The Fog
3. They Live
4. Vampires

With that said, Carpenter has less but Carpenter has better movies (Halloween and The Fog are 10/10s, Vampires and They Live are 8 or 9/10s)



____________________


My horror movie review blog: http://beyondthedarkeneddoor.blogspot.com/
Horror_Freak
Member
 

Joined: Sat Apr 23rd, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 42
Favorite Films: 
Gender: 
Status:  Offline
 Posted: Mon Mar 26th, 2012 11:21 am

Quote

Reply
So Craven has The Last House on the Left, The Hills Have Eyes, A Nightmare on Elm Street and Scream while Carpenter has The Thing, The Fog and Halloween.

JigsawX
Charter Member


Joined: Fri Jun 12th, 2009
Location: Muncie, Indiana USA
Posts: 27063
Favorite Films: Slaughter High, My Bloody Valentine, Halloween, The Burning, etc.
Gender: Male
Status:  Online
 Posted: Mon Mar 26th, 2012 11:22 am

Quote

Reply
Horror_Freak wrote:
So Craven has The Last House on the Left, The Hills Have Eyes, A Nightmare on Elm Street and Scream while Carpenter has The Thing, The Fog and Halloween.


Craven also has Cursed so he loses some points.:p



____________________


My horror movie review blog: http://beyondthedarkeneddoor.blogspot.com/
Horror_Freak
Member
 

Joined: Sat Apr 23rd, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 42
Favorite Films: 
Gender: 
Status:  Offline
 Posted: Mon Mar 26th, 2012 11:26 am

Quote

Reply
JigsawX wrote: Craven's best
1. The Last House on the Left
2. The Hills Have Eyes
3. A Nightmare on Elm Street
4. Shocker (I enjoyed it, anyways)
5. Scream

Carpenter's best
1. Halloween
2. The Fog
3. They Live
4. Vampires

With that said, Carpenter has less but Carpenter has better movies (Halloween and The Fog are 10/10s, Vampires and They Live are 8 or 9/10s)

where's The Thing?!

JigsawX
Charter Member


Joined: Fri Jun 12th, 2009
Location: Muncie, Indiana USA
Posts: 27063
Favorite Films: Slaughter High, My Bloody Valentine, Halloween, The Burning, etc.
Gender: Male
Status:  Online
 Posted: Mon Mar 26th, 2012 11:28 am

Quote

Reply
Horror_Freak wrote:
JigsawX wrote: Craven's best
1. The Last House on the Left
2. The Hills Have Eyes
3. A Nightmare on Elm Street
4. Shocker (I enjoyed it, anyways)
5. Scream

Carpenter's best
1. Halloween
2. The Fog
3. They Live
4. Vampires

With that said, Carpenter has less but Carpenter has better movies (Halloween and The Fog are 10/10s, Vampires and They Live are 8 or 9/10s)

where's The Thing?!


I thought it was average with some decent special effects. I prefer (much to the disdain of others) Leviathan (1989).



____________________


My horror movie review blog: http://beyondthedarkeneddoor.blogspot.com/
Horror_Freak
Member
 

Joined: Sat Apr 23rd, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 42
Favorite Films: 
Gender: 
Status:  Offline
 Posted: Mon Mar 26th, 2012 11:32 am

Quote

Reply
JigsawX wrote: Horror_Freak wrote:
JigsawX wrote: Craven's best
1. The Last House on the Left
2. The Hills Have Eyes
3. A Nightmare on Elm Street
4. Shocker (I enjoyed it, anyways)
5. Scream

Carpenter's best
1. Halloween
2. The Fog
3. They Live
4. Vampires

With that said, Carpenter has less but Carpenter has better movies (Halloween and The Fog are 10/10s, Vampires and They Live are 8 or 9/10s)

where's The Thing?!


I thought it was average with some decent special effects. I prefer (much to the disdain of others) Leviathan (1989).

well for me Alien (1979) was better than those two..

JigsawX
Charter Member


Joined: Fri Jun 12th, 2009
Location: Muncie, Indiana USA
Posts: 27063
Favorite Films: Slaughter High, My Bloody Valentine, Halloween, The Burning, etc.
Gender: Male
Status:  Online
 Posted: Mon Mar 26th, 2012 11:33 am

Quote

Reply
Horror_Freak wrote:
JigsawX wrote: Horror_Freak wrote:
JigsawX wrote: Craven's best
1. The Last House on the Left
2. The Hills Have Eyes
3. A Nightmare on Elm Street
4. Shocker (I enjoyed it, anyways)
5. Scream

Carpenter's best
1. Halloween
2. The Fog
3. They Live
4. Vampires

With that said, Carpenter has less but Carpenter has better movies (Halloween and The Fog are 10/10s, Vampires and They Live are 8 or 9/10s)

where's The Thing?!


I thought it was average with some decent special effects. I prefer (much to the disdain of others) Leviathan (1989).

well for me Alien (1979) was better than those two..


I'd agree aside from the fact that Alien has a quite dull beginning (which I admit doesn't stop me from giving it a 7.5 or so).



____________________


My horror movie review blog: http://beyondthedarkeneddoor.blogspot.com/
Sebastian
Administrator


Joined: Tue May 3rd, 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 61595
Favorite Films: Hellraiser, Takashi Miike films, Beat Takeshi films, Friday the 13th, ...
Gender: Male
Status:  Offline
 Posted: Mon Mar 26th, 2012 11:33 am

Quote

Reply
The Thing is what swings it for me. :p



____________________
JigsawX
Charter Member


Joined: Fri Jun 12th, 2009
Location: Muncie, Indiana USA
Posts: 27063
Favorite Films: Slaughter High, My Bloody Valentine, Halloween, The Burning, etc.
Gender: Male
Status:  Online
 Posted: Mon Mar 26th, 2012 11:35 am

Quote

Reply
Sebastian wrote:
The Thing is what swings it for me. :p

Halloween's much better than The Thing, sorry.:p

Anyhow, The Thing's a remake.;)



____________________


My horror movie review blog: http://beyondthedarkeneddoor.blogspot.com/
Sebastian
Administrator


Joined: Tue May 3rd, 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 61595
Favorite Films: Hellraiser, Takashi Miike films, Beat Takeshi films, Friday the 13th, ...
Gender: Male
Status:  Offline
 Posted: Mon Mar 26th, 2012 11:36 am

Quote

Reply
Lots of things are remakes or re-imaginings. Since we're talking about who is better as a director, remakes don't enter into it. it's a valid film with him behind the camera setting up the shots and getting performances out of people.



____________________
JigsawX
Charter Member


Joined: Fri Jun 12th, 2009
Location: Muncie, Indiana USA
Posts: 27063
Favorite Films: Slaughter High, My Bloody Valentine, Halloween, The Burning, etc.
Gender: Male
Status:  Online
 Posted: Mon Mar 26th, 2012 11:37 am

Quote

Reply
Sebastian wrote:
Lots of things are remakes or re-imaginings. Since we're talking about who is better as a director, remakes don't enter into it. it's a valid film with him behind the camera setting up the shots and getting performances out of people.

Doesn't stop me from adding it into the equation.:p



____________________


My horror movie review blog: http://beyondthedarkeneddoor.blogspot.com/
Sebastian
Administrator


Joined: Tue May 3rd, 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 61595
Favorite Films: Hellraiser, Takashi Miike films, Beat Takeshi films, Friday the 13th, ...
Gender: Male
Status:  Offline
 Posted: Mon Mar 26th, 2012 11:40 am

Quote

Reply
Kind of makes your list worthless, though. :p



____________________
Horror_Freak
Member
 

Joined: Sat Apr 23rd, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 42
Favorite Films: 
Gender: 
Status:  Offline
 Posted: Mon Mar 26th, 2012 11:40 am

Quote

Reply
how about George A. Romero. anyone?

Daebo
Moderator


Joined: Wed May 17th, 2006
Location: The Fire, USA
Posts: 46917
Favorite Films: Exorcist, Fight Club, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Army of ...
Gender: Male
Status:  Offline
 Posted: Mon Mar 26th, 2012 02:27 pm

Quote

Reply
I think we left a few of Carpenter's list-
In the Mouth of Madness
Prince of Darkness
Christine
Cigarette Burns



____________________
JigsawX
Charter Member


Joined: Fri Jun 12th, 2009
Location: Muncie, Indiana USA
Posts: 27063
Favorite Films: Slaughter High, My Bloody Valentine, Halloween, The Burning, etc.
Gender: Male
Status:  Online
 Posted: Mon Mar 26th, 2012 03:50 pm

Quote

Reply
Daebo wrote:
I think we left a few of Carpenter's list-
In the Mouth of Madness
Prince of Darkness
Christine
Cigarette Burns


I understand how people can like In the Mouth of Madness but after my second viewing I still have no idea what's going on throughout the last half of the movie.



____________________


My horror movie review blog: http://beyondthedarkeneddoor.blogspot.com/
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator


Joined: Mon Nov 8th, 2004
Location: Somewhere In The Armpit Of SoCal
Posts: 62470
Favorite Films: Halloween, The Thing, Jaws, Evil Dead II, An American Werewolf ...
Gender: Male
Status:  Online
 Posted: Mon Mar 26th, 2012 04:09 pm

Quote

Reply
Carpenter.  Even his weak movies are still very watchable (I may have to give Ghosts of Mars a second chance). 




____________________
zombie
Administrator


Joined: Tue Nov 9th, 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 79514
Favorite Films: A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Evil Dead, Sleepaway Camp, ...
Gender: 
Status:  Online
 Posted: Mon Mar 26th, 2012 04:29 pm

Quote

Reply
carpenter has done some cool stuff, but i prefer wes craven as far as horror goes.

JigsawX
Charter Member


Joined: Fri Jun 12th, 2009
Location: Muncie, Indiana USA
Posts: 27063
Favorite Films: Slaughter High, My Bloody Valentine, Halloween, The Burning, etc.
Gender: Male
Status:  Online
 Posted: Mon Mar 26th, 2012 04:44 pm

Quote

Reply
Sebastian wrote:
Kind of makes your list worthless, though. :p

Well, that was nice.:p



____________________


My horror movie review blog: http://beyondthedarkeneddoor.blogspot.com/

 Current time is 02:56 am
Page:    1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  Next Page Last Page  




Powered by WowBB 1.7 - Copyright © 2003-2006 Aycan Gulez