Administrator

Re: Recently Watched Movies

Post by Reign in Blood »

Creepshow TV show is pretty dope.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

Puppet Master: Doktor Death. Plays out more like a tv show than a film(it even ends like it's "to be continued"). Hell, it's only an hour long and has two recap scenes. The doc is the only puppet in the film and the kills are mostly death by editing. If it was a pilot for a show, I'd say it was decent, but as a part of the film franchise, it's kinda shit. Still, better than some of the other sequels.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Spookies. I swear I've seen this before, but I only remembered the kid and cat guy at the beginning and the asshole in black. Some scenes seem out of order, but it doesn't screw up the narrative. I'm now under the assumption that his was really just made to showcase the makeup effects, as that was obviously where all the budget went. Not saying it's a bad film, I enjoyed it, but the monster makeup was the real star.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Final Summer. Camp-based slasher set in 1991. Lots of references to other slashers, but to the point where it seemed a bit forced at times. The intro seemed pointless and has nothing to do with the rest of the film. The camera seems out of focus at points, but that may have been intentional. The acting is pretty terrible, as is the writing in parts. There's one point where they reuse the same audio for a scream three or four times in a row for some reason. That said, it wasn't awful.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Cobweb. A kid starts to hear noises behind a wall in his bedroom. Didn't go the way I expected, though the red herring was pretty obvious. A bit supernatural, but again, not in the way I expected. The end is questionable, but I'd say it's a decent film.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

There's Nothing Out There. Pre-Scream meta horror, but it's a creature feature instead of a slasher. Pretty fun film that doesn't take itself seriously. They even managed to go against my expectations a couple times. Also, the ending got a good laugh out of me. Worth checking out, especially now that it's got a decent release.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Three Blind Mice. Take the setup of the Evil Dead remake, but throw in three killer blind mice-people instead of deadites and you have this film. The makeup effects look good, as does the plentiful amount of gore, but there's a few absolute dogshit cgi bits. Decent enough film.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

The Exorcist Believer. This guy needs to stop with his fanfiction sequels.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

The Boneyard. Zombie demon kids in a morgue. I swear I saw this, but I couldn't remember any of it. The makeup effects are damn good. The kids look creepy and gross. It toes the line between comedy and horror, without it being overwhelmingly one or the other. If I saw this as a kid, I'd have considered it a classic. Watch if you can find it.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

The Killer .................. A+

A meditative thriller following a hitman who missed his shot, and is on a warpath following the paper-work chain that attempted to screw his ghost-like life over. It reminds me that we really missed an opportunity for Michael Fassbender as James Bond, as he really comes off like the book version in this movie. This lands as #4 for my Fincher films, behind Zodiac, Fight Club and Seven.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Finally got some time to watch a couple movies, too bad they weren't worth a damn.

A Creature Was Stirring. A girl has a mysterious disease and is being treated by her mom when two religious nuts take shelter with them during a snow storm. It starts off decent enough, but it steadily gets worse as it goes on. And that ending. Fuck me, was it some garbage. Cool creature design and practical effects, but a shit film.

There's Something in the Barn. A family inherits a home in norway that has a barn elf in the barn(obviously). It was ok, I guess. The whole thing just didn't feel well paced and it felt like they were always trying to push for a joke. I did laugh once when an elf got the cop's gun, otherwise I was just kinda bored. Honestly, if it wasn't for the cursing and blood, I'd say it was a family film.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Killers of the Flower Moon ............. A+

If Marty passes before making another flick, I'm glad this is the one he went out on and not Irishman.
Lazerus

Post by Lazerus »

A Blade in the Dark
IT Chapter 1
Krampus (2015)
Black Christmas (original)
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:49 am Killers of the Flower Moon ............. A+

If Marty passes before making another flick, I'm glad this is the one he went out on and not Irishman.
I'm waiting for bluray on that one. I blind bought the book and had it sitting on the shelf for a long time. Still haven't read it, but I'm hoping the book does this story justice, which it seems like it will.

It'll never happen considering the weird political shift, but I've been thinking recently how awesome would it be to see a major motion picture detailing a truthful adaptation of Columbus and the Caniba tribe (caniba is where the modern term "cannibal" comes from)? The details would genuinely shock the world, methinks.

A quickie rundown: On Columbus’s first voyage he was blown away upon meeting the first American Indians he encountered. He's documented as saying they were “The best people on the Earth” and that, “no man shall cause them any harm.” But once he came back on his second voyage, all of those American Indians were killed. He dug around and found out it was the the Caniba indians that killed them. He discovered an island that had approximately fifty wickiups filled with young girls from neighboring indian tribes. The Indians there told him that the Caniba were on a genocidal rampage, killing and eating the men of the surrounding tribes. The young women were kept as sex slaves to the Caniba, who would repeatedly impregnate them, and then eat the babies. What furious Columbus then did to the Caniba is probably why he is regarded as a monster today, but I think he is a fucking hero.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Wither. A group of friends go to a cabin in the woods and the usual happens. Inspired by the Evil Dead, but with a swedish folklore twist. Lots of shaky cam, but that's my only real gripe. The gore is good, the effects are minimal, but still good. The plot is nothing new, but decent enough. Even got a few chuckles out of me, despite the serious tone. I'd say it's worth a watch if you happen to find it somewhere.

Fun note: A few critics said this is what the Evil Dead remake(2013) should have been. I wouldn't go that far, but it's definitely the better film of the two.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Jason wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:34 pm
DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:49 am Killers of the Flower Moon ............. A+

I'm waiting for bluray on that one. I blind bought the book and had it sitting on the shelf for a long time. Still haven't read it, but I'm hoping the book does this story justice, which it seems like it will.

It'll never happen considering the weird political shift, but I've been thinking recently how awesome would it be to see a major motion picture detailing a truthful adaptation of Columbus and the Caniba tribe (caniba is where the modern term "cannibal" comes from)? The details would genuinely shock the world, methinks.

A quickie rundown: On Columbus’s first voyage he was blown away upon meeting the first American Indians he encountered. He's documented as saying they were “The best people on the Earth” and that, “no man shall cause them any harm.” But once he came back on his second voyage, all of those American Indians were killed. He dug around and found out it was the the Caniba indians that killed them. He discovered an island that had approximately fifty wickiups filled with young girls from neighboring indian tribes. The Indians there told him that the Caniba were on a genocidal rampage, killing and eating the men of the surrounding tribes. The young women were kept as sex slaves to the Caniba, who would repeatedly impregnate them, and then eat the babies. What furious Columbus then did to the Caniba is probably why he is regarded as a monster today, but I think he is a fucking hero.
Why? Sounds like a typical cannibal movie, you're not getting some major motion picture. Fact that Columbus ran into some godless island tree people isn't surprising. Include the whole eating baby thing we can get it to the grindhouse, especially if they were fresh straight from the womb like hors d'oeuvres. If they grew them for a bit, enh.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

it is pretty interesting that cannibal replaced anthropophagy as the standard term, at least in america.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:53 pm

it is pretty interesting that cannibal replaced anthropophagy as the standard term, at least in america.
Easier to say. :P
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:25 pm
zombie wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:53 pm

Easier to say. :P

could have just been flesh eater or something, i think someone tried to make camnibal happen for a reason. and it worked.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Piggy. A fat girl is bullied and there's a serial killer. Weird drama thriller I thought was going to be a horror film about the girl killing her bullies, but turned out very different. It's a good drama, it just has a horror backdrop of a guy killing people. Worth checking out if you want something different.