Recently Watched Movies

You can talk about anything here
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Re: Recently Watched Movies

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

Jigsaw wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:56 pm Watched A Serbian Film earlier tonight.

Honestly, while it wasn't exactly pleasant, I was sort of expecting worse. *shrugs* Maybe I'm just jaded now. :P
I still say it has some genuinely funny moments in it, but everyone's too put off by the rape and pedophilia to notice.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

I actually liked Dial of Destiny a lot more than expected. I just hate how many movies look like this now. Raiders of the Lost Ark on a cell phone looks better than this movie on the big screen, and so much of that is practical effects and live action in the elements vs green screen and CGI. Just feels so fake and artificial.

Overall it felt, once again, like Disney & “Lucasfilm” trying to cash in one last time and playing a lot of the hits but without the unique creative genius behind it. It’s not a bad movie and it’s much better than Crystal Skull but in a big picture sense it is part of the problem. Just draining every bit of juice out of any IPs/franchises. I’m not surprised that it’s not doing well. A lot of people are getting tired of this shit.

B- is probably where I would land.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

My complete Nolan rankings:

1 - Oppenheimer (9.5/10)
2 - Dunkirk (9.5/10)
3 - The Dark Knight (9/10)
4 - Memento (8.5/10)
5 - Inception (8/10)
6 - The Prestige (8/10)
7 - The Dark Knight Rises (7.5/10)
8 - Interstellar (7.5/10)
9 - Batman Begins (7.5/10)
10 - Insomnia (6/10)
11 - Tenet (5.5/10)
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:48 am My complete Nolan rankings:

1 - Oppenheimer (9.5/10)
2 - Dunkirk (9.5/10)
4 - Memento (8.5/10)
5 - Inception (8/10)
6 - The Prestige (8/10)
10 - Insomnia (6/10)
11 - Tenet (5.5/10)
would you put following at 12? or just don't consider it for some reason?
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:36 pm
Headhunter wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:48 am My complete Nolan rankings:

1 - Oppenheimer (9.5/10)
2 - Dunkirk (9.5/10)
4 - Memento (8.5/10)
5 - Inception (8/10)
6 - The Prestige (8/10)
10 - Insomnia (6/10)
11 - Tenet (5.5/10)
would you put following at 12? or just don't consider it for some reason?
Honestly forgot about it. It’s been a long time. Would probably slot it at either 10 or 11. I can do without any of the bottom tier.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Oppenheimer ranked 4th on my Flickchart for Nolan films, behind TDK, Memento, and Inception (all 3 in my top 100). Oppenheimer and Batman Begins are *just* outside my hundred though, ranking #119 and #122.

Obviously, this is a favorites ranking though. Oppenheimer is definitely a masterwork and the one to beat for best of this year, imo, and is a culmination of Nolan's skills as a filmmaker and storyteller, so saying this is him reaching a new peak doesn't feel wrong, even if it's not my favorite. But 10 years from now, who knows?
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Next of Kin. I spent the whole movie waiting for Swayze to show up and he never did. Turns out there's another film with the same name. It's a horror film about a lady that inherits a rest home. Early 80's so it's slow as hell, but it wasn't bad.
DAEBO
Charter Member

Post by DAEBO »

Frankenstein vs The Wolfman. Picked it up to go with the 1998 (97?) Burger King kids meal toy set I bought on a whim from Ebay.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Hollywood needs to give S. Craig Zahler lots of money to make his insane movies. He’s got it.

Holy fuck, why was this guy off my radar? He’s saving Vince Vaughn’s career and turning him into a serious actor. All three of his movies are so interesting and well made and batshit crazy. And he’s naturally a horror guy too.

Bone Tomahawk
Brawl in Cell Block 99
Dragged Across Concrete

Highly enjoyed all of them
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

from what i understand, he's at work on a new film. "an elephant man style puppet movie" based on a novel he wrote. also reportedly shot in black and white and 3hrs long.

of his current films, i much preferred dragged across concrete to the other two.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

I really dig him too, but I don't know if I'm watching that bullshit zombie just talked about.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

He’s also one of the most prolific screenwriters in Hollywood but almost none of his optioned scripts have been made. His western novels are supposed to be really good too.

Sounds like he’s been focused on other stuff with comics/graphics novels but he could easily pump out 10-15 quality movies over his career.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

No Hard Feelings - throwback sex/com that at times is very funny and other times uncomfortably cringy. Jennifer Lawrence does have a very long full frontal nude scene that is memorable
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

Skyfall. Doing a Bondathon. Haven't seen the latest one yet. After seeing Luke Skywalker have his balls removed and hearing that Indiana Jones has suffered a similar fate, I'm a bit apprehensive.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

The Dead Come Home aka The House on Tombstone Hill aka Dead Dudes in the House(accurate, but awful). A group of 20 or 30-somethings get together to help a friend remodel a house he just bought, but it's home to a dead old lady with boundary issues. I'm honestly surprised this isn't a more well-known film. Had I seen it in the 80's, it would have been a classic in my eyes. Cheesy as hell, good gore, and it even has a decent ending. The acting is on par with Troll 2, but it's obvious the budget went into the makeup/gore, so it's forgivable. There's a couple really funny continuity errors(or at least, I thought they were funny). Definitely worth checking out for fans of 80's cheese.

Fun facts: one of the actors(who was piss poor at acting) has credits in The Wolf of Wall Street, Boardwalk Empire, and No Hard Feelings(just mentioned because it's new). Bit parts, but still. Not bad for a guy that can't act for shit. And one of the makeup guys went on to work on everything from Terminator 2 to marvel and dc films.
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

No Time To Die
Not sure where I'd rank it but it wasn't bad.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem

Really good, after accepting it's a new take (given how many different takes go on in the comics, I kinda stopped caring at this point), and I really appreciated the fact that the Teenagers are actually behaving and are played by Teenagers. In movie form, it ranks #2 behind the first live action movie.

Oddly enough, I was less bothered by the race-swapping and frumping up April (and NO she wasn't black in the first issue...she had a perm in that first issue. It was the 80's, EVERY woman of every color had a perm in the 80's. A perm does not make someone black.) than I was by the removal of the actual ninjutsu history of the turtles & splinter. That's probably the thing really holding me back from loving it more: they removed that history. Is it to avoid claims of appropriation? Because it seems even worse to have them solely train by watching movies. Yeah, that's the one thing that actually bugs me about the movie lol.
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

Equalizer 3

You know exactly what you're getting and you're not disappointed. Denzel is slightly more psychotic in this one, singing while people die. Good stuff.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

She Came From the Woods. In 1987, a group of counsellors at a summer camp summon a witch that kills anyone that took part in the ritual. Surprisingly good 80's style supernatural slasher. A kid gets whacked with a baseball bat, so that was fun. A bit of comedy is thrown in, but it generally takes itself seriously.

Talk to Me. Some teens use an embalmed hand to let ghosts possess them as a party game. Sounds dumb as fuck, but it's actually decent. The violence is minimal, but brutal. Lots of subtle details to let you know what's really going on, but might take a second watch to fully understand. Probably is a metaphor for drug use or some shit, but it doesn't detract from the entertainment.

Both are worth checking out.
NightOfTheLiving_Sam

Post by NightOfTheLiving_Sam »

I've seen the movie already but I recently watched The Client: 1994 with my family over the weekend. Over the weekend I watched Memento and Creepshow: Season Three. I know it's not the original Creepshow but I love Creepshow overall. I just enjoy those short stories.