Recently Watched Movies

You can talk about anything here
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Re: Recently Watched Movies

Post by Jigsaw »

Watched Nope earlier.

The movie certainly looked nice, and had a somewhat interesting plot going on, but I didn't really get any of the characters. Combine that with the fact that the movie's 2 hours and 10 minutes long, and I don't think this is one I'll be revisiting anytime soon.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Jigsaw wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:39 pm Watched Nope earlier.

The movie certainly looked nice, and had a somewhat interesting plot going on, but I didn't really get any of the characters. Combine that with the fact that the movie's 2 hours and 10 minutes long, and I don't think this is one I'll be revisiting anytime soon.
I'm saving this for a Challenge film.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Tiggnutz wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:35 pm

Hope that you enjoy it come the Challenge. :thumb:
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Jigsaw wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:36 pm
Tiggnutz wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:35 pm

Hope that you enjoy it come the Challenge. :thumb:
Thanks brother but to be honest I've been ducking this film
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

Nope was a big let down for me.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

I liked Nope, but couldn't really figure why I didn't love it, and it could be the main characters just weren't interesting (and the sis was basically annoying, and she wants to play Rogue? fuck that).
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

Relaxer. In 1999, a guy is challenged by his brother to beat level 256 of Pac-Man before he comes home. The rules state he can't leave the couch. For a film about a guy sitting on a couch playing Pac-Man, it's pretty gross. Lots of 90's nonsense is thrown in, including the y2k scare. It gets weird. Not a film I'd recommend unless you want to be confused and like gross stuff(not the good kind of gross stuff).
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Infinity Pool. This movie was not made for me. I do not understand anything I just watched. There's probably some artsy allegorical bullshit going on, but fuck that. It's a slightly interesting premise, but goes nowhere. There's an absurdly long orgy scene if you're just interested in Mia Goth, I guess. An all around blah of a movie.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Knock at the Cabin. Outside of some weird camerawork in the beginning and a detail about one of the intruders, it was pretty good. Shammy changes the ending(of course) and not for the better in my opinion. General audiences will probably be ok with it, though. That being said, it's an odd way to convince people of the end of the world.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

The Strays. A lady and her new family is confronted by the kids she left behind. I don't think this is a horror film, even though it is marketed as one. The trailer made it out like them being her kids was gonna be a big plot twist or something, but it was obvious before the reveal, and the reveal was very early in the film. I guess you could call it suspense, since you really don't know why they're there, or what they will do. It's mostly a drama about fucked up parents and the effects abandoning children can have. It's also filmed in an odd way. The first half hour is from the mother's POV, then it goes back five days and shifts to the abandoned kids' POV, before catching back up for the last half hour. Lots of commentary on race, parenting, etc., but nothing in your face, so it didn't bug me. I chuckled at the end, which says more about me than anything, since it was kinda fucked up(again, not in a horror way). I guess it's worth a watch, as it's well made and not something I've seen before, just don't go in expecting a horror film.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Unwelcome. A couple inherits a house in ireland that is next to a home of redcaps. I've always said redcaps would make for great horror fodder, so I was thrilled when I heard about this. It's not quite redcaps, more faer dearg(they say they're the same in the film, but they're a bit different), but they're still cool little buggers. While the story beats are predictable, it plays out fucking great. The redcaps look cool and are just plain fun to watch when they've got screen time. Lots of camera tricks to make them look small, not just cg nonsense, which is a huge bonus. I want more horror like this. Best horror film I've seen in a long time.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Candy Land. About a killer taking out some lot lizards in 1996. Lot lizards are truck stop hookers if you didn't know. It's front loaded with quite a bit of nudity, so if that's your thing, it should grab your attention. The last fifteen or so minutes didn't make much sense to me due to actions the characters did or didn't take. Just seemed odd, but what can ya do? William Baldwin is in it and is the worst actor in the film. Man, I dunno if he's always bad or was just phoning it in, but he was awful. Overall it was decent enough, though.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey. The setup for this doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense, but I'm sure the script was the last thing they cared about when making this. The kills were meh, though seeing Pooh drive a car to slowly run over a girl's head was a bit funny. The cg blood, was shit. In one of the dumbest bits of dialogue I've heard in awhile, after finding the car girl's body, a girl points to the words written in blood on the windows and says "whoever it was probably wrote that". Nah, couldn't be. Honestly, the most disappointing thing to me is that they don't talk. I was really hoping for an "oh, bother" when Pooh has to chase someone down or if he got splatted by some gore. That alone would've made it worth watching for me. Was it bad? Of course. It's fucking horror film about Winnie the Pooh. It's watchable, but definitely could have been better.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Soft & Quiet

I only mention this flick because it managed to stick with me, as it caught me by surprise. Most of what goes down is stupid and you’ll find the movie grating on you at times, but that’s part of the point. It’s basically Very Bad Things with soccer moms and ordinary white chicks. No black comedy here, the comedy is inadvertent, and it's got a darker underbelly (though never really crosses into horror, unless "panic attack" horror counts). But I liked that it made me feel like a fly on the wall, and that we likely all know some crazy bitches this stupid and fucked up out there, maybe one real close. And the fact it was all seemingly shot in “real time” or one continuous shot (more or less) was impressive. It’s not a movie I think anybody likes or really watches again, but you remember it.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Reign in Blood wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:27 pm Soft & Quiet

I only mention this flick because it managed to stick with me, as it caught me by surprise. Most of what goes down is stupid and you’ll find the movie grating on you at times, but that’s part of the point. It’s basically Very Bad Things with soccer moms and ordinary white chicks. No black comedy here, the comedy is inadvertent, and it's got a darker underbelly (though never really crosses into horror, unless "panic attack" horror counts). But I liked that it made me feel like a fly on the wall, and that we likely all know some crazy bitches this stupid and fucked up out there, maybe one real close. And the fact it was all seemingly shot in “real time” or one continuous shot (more or less) was impressive. It’s not a movie I think anybody likes or really watches again, but you remember it.
How I describe the film: dumb bitches looking for someone to blame for their misfortunes turning to racism and violence. Pretty sure the point is to make you uncomfortable, especially since it's something you could see actually happening.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Slaughterhouserock wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:03 pm
Reign in Blood wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:27 pm Soft & Quiet

How I describe the film: dumb bitches looking for someone to blame for their misfortunes turning to racism and violence. Pretty sure the point is to make you uncomfortable, especially since it's something you could see actually happening.
Yeah. And I liked the real time effect, felt like I been there where shit just goes tits up (no murder and shiz, obviously :-[ :innocent: :P ). "I thought I was just going for a drink, how the fuck did we end up here?"
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Watched Twister (1996) for the first time yesterday.

Not great, but pretty fun, with a handful of recognizable faces. Would watch again.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Evil Dead Rise. It took me actually seeing the title screen to realize the title is a play on hi-rise. Anyway, it was decent. A couple fun bits, a couple gross bits, but nothing really stood out to make it worth rewatching. The callbacks were a bit much and constantly showing the book when something is about to happen like "hey, here's a picture in the book that shows what's happening now!" was kinda silly. I got a laugh when the sister came around the corner with the bedsheet, otherwise there wasn't much humor. They didn't really add anything to the franchise, which is my main gripe. The originals built upon each other with the sequels adding something new each time, but this was mostly rehashing things in a new setting. It wasn't bad, but I expect more from Evil Dead films.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Renfield. Silly film with over the top gory action. Kinda dumb, but in a fun way. Cage pulled off the Lugosi Dracula look really well.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Watched The Menu.

I personally found it solid. A nicely done satire. Fantastic performance from Ralph Fiennes. Not a laugh-out-loud movie, but decently enjoyable overall.