Recently Watched Movies

You can talk about anything here
Monster
Charter Member

Recently Watched Movies

Post by Monster »

Alien Covenant

This may be one of those movies that I come to appreciate somewhere down the road, but my initial reaction is disappointment. Putting "Alien" in the title suggests a horror movie. It had some horror, but way too much time was spent on talking philosophy. I knew going in to Prometheus that it wasn't really a horror movie so I was able to enjoy it for what it was. Covenant seemed misguided and unsure of what it wanted to be.
Ava
Charter Member

Re: Recently Watched Movies

Post by Ava »

Worse than Resurrection? :?
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

I wouldn't go that far. Resurrection was more horror than Covenant, but it had a weird vibe to it that I didn't care for.
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

I'm still unsure on how I feel about Covenant. I did enjoy some aspects of it, but mainly when it dealt with David and the his story arch. I felt most of the film was fairly predictable and there was no solid atmosphere or tension building when shit was happening. It did have some fun and bloody visceral moments when it came to kills and how some Aliens are born, but I honestly wanted to see them use more practical effects instead.

The scene with the facehugger and what happened afterwards made it look cute and cuddly. This was like Baby Groot levels of adorable, but with a Xenomorph. "Ah, look at how precious! Aren't you a cutie" *Alien proceeds to bite you to death* "Aww, look he's teething."
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

I've heard so many bad things about this I genuinely chose to rewatch Guardians instead of watching this. I feel like my choice has been validated. :D
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

Can't go wrong with Guardians.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

:P That was what I was thinking. Fun enough to rewatch, and I knew I'd like the characters.
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

Alien Isolation would make a good movie. I don't know if anyone else has played that game. Decent story with some good tension.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Resurrection was more horror than Covenant? Wow. Covenant looked like it was at least trying to go back to the horror roots that haven't been touched since 3. I barely see Resurrection as horror, just as a weird goofy sci fi action comicbook romp.
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

I wouldn't even classify Covenant as horror. There are moments here and there, but not enough to qualify. Though not as good as Prometheus, it's more in that vein.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

That's disappointing to hear, they were really making it look like it was a big return to horror. Lame.
God
Site Admin

Post by God »

I'mma just say this, even though they are MonsterNutz, Tigg and MX need to unfuck themselves with the Jaws motif. I keep reading MX's shiz as Tigg and then am like what?
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

Duly noted
God
Site Admin

Post by God »

Nice. :mrgreen: :ugeek:
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Monster wrote:Duly noted
I ain't changing dick 8-)
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Tiggnutz wrote:
Monster wrote:Duly noted
I ain't changing dick 8-)
Unfortunately Roger Moore died and I am obligated to pay tribute to the man.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

King Arthur

Not needed by anyone but I had such low expectations that it was easy enjoyment. Bit in between genres and struggled with its tone. Some was classic Ritchie. Then some was labored broody period piece. But fun enough.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Krampus (2015)

I didn't have a whole let of expectations going into this one, despite having seen the trailer a few times, and overall, that may have been a positive thing. I'm sure most of you know the story, so I won't really get into the plot, but jump straight into the good and the bad. Krampus does many things right – the atmosphere is appropriately bleak and frigid, with multiple well-done scenes depicting the cold Hell this extended family has found themselves in. Most of the comedic elements are decent, and I've no complaints about the acting of any of the characters, which is of course another plus. The flashback, as narrated by the grandmother, was done in a rather enjoyable animation, and thoroughly enjoyable to witness. The Krampus' design was pretty solid. Even most of the ending worked for me. Of course, few movies are totally without flaws. At times, the amount of dangerous creatures got a bit much (a teddy bear, gingerbread cookies, an evil angle, a Jack-in-the-Box, and a toy robot, for instance), and while I've no complain about most of these, I thought the gingerbread men were a bit ridiculous. Toward the end, when the pit to Hell (presumably) opened, I was finding it more difficult to care than I'd hope for (if only because I expected some twist to come up, rendering the whole thing moot). And while the ending scene itself was actually pretty cool (the snow globe workshop was indeed fun), the last split second was a jump scare, with a bunch of evil toys coming at the screen. I abhor endings that try to scare the audience (not a character in the movie, but the audience) in the last split second. It's over-done, and ruins any chance that the movie could be spectacular. All-in-all, Krampus is a good slice of Christmas horror. Plenty of the actors and actresses stand out (notably Emjay Anthony, Adam Scott, Stefania LaVie Owen, and Conchata Ferrell), and while not the best Christmas horror film out there (Santa's Slay, anyone?), it was certainly worth a watch. 8/10.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

Jigsaw wrote:the amount of dangerous creatures got a bit much (a teddy bear, gingerbread cookies, an evil angle, a Jack-in-the-Box, and a toy robot, for instance),
Those can be the worse! Acute and Obtuse can be tricky to deal with at times, but an evil one? That just throws a wrench in your plans. :P
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Havok wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:the amount of dangerous creatures got a bit much (a teddy bear, gingerbread cookies, an evil angle, a Jack-in-the-Box, and a toy robot, for instance),
Those can be the worse! Acute and Obtuse can be tricky to deal with at times, but an evil one? That just throws a wrench in your plans. :P
Nice catch - I lol'd.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/