Exploiting tragedy

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
zombie
Administrator

Re: Exploiting tragedy

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:I think we should also break down the type of violence further. For instance, suicides should be parsed out from all of them, as people will certainly find other ways.
as far as suicide goes, don't they already do that to an extent?
Most gun death stats used by control advocates include suicides.
well, yeah. they are gonna lump them all. but there are stats that separate suicide out.
You used the 30k stat, but I believe 20k were suicides. Reducing the number by 2/3 really changes the perspective, imo.
you're right. i also said gun deaths. and not gun homicides. also, don't know if police action or self defense (or defense of another) kills are counted into that total.
Random violent acts with guns are actually surprisingly rare compared to the way things are often hyped.
maybe so. what do you consider random? like planning to do a school shooting or a theater shooting, still count as random? do you consider calculated or planned murder to be "random">

also, there may be a little bit of the percentage of suicide by gun that comes after a massacre. it's not going to be a large number probably, but it's likely included with the total there?
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Yes, a school shooting would be a random act of violence in that the it is largely not targeting specific victims. This would differ from things like domestic violence and gang violence which have specific targets. In other words, you have little to no association with the person inflicting the violence upon you, and is less avoidable by say not marrying a shithead or engaging in gang activities.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:Yes, a school shooting would be a random act of violence in that the it is largely not targeting specific victims. This would differ from things like domestic violence and gang violence which have specific targets. In other words, you have little to no association with the person inflicting the violence upon you, and is less avoidable by say not marrying a shithead or engaging in gang activities.
fair enough. i would see domestic violence and/or gang violence as more random personally. as it's likely to just be spontaneous and/or heat of the moment. but it also more avoidable, you're right. (unless you're a bystander or a kid who gets caught in it)
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:Yes, a school shooting would be a random act of violence in that the it is largely not targeting specific victims. This would differ from things like domestic violence and gang violence which have specific targets. In other words, you have little to no association with the person inflicting the violence upon you, and is less avoidable by say not marrying a shithead or engaging in gang activities.
fair enough. i would see domestic violence and/or gang violence as more random personally. as it's likely to just be spontaneous and/or heat of the moment. but it also more avoidable, you're right. (unless you're a bystander or a kid who gets caught in it)
Spontaneity is not the random part, the victim is. Domestic violence cannot be random.

Random means wrong place at the wrong time in this instance. The the opposite of a random act of kindness. That would be buying a stranger a cup of coffee, not buying it for your wife or a friend.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Spontaneity is not the random part, the victim is. Domestic violence cannot be random.

Random means wrong place at the wrong time in this instance. The the opposite of a random act of kindness. That would be buying a stranger a cup of coffee, not buying it for your wife or a friend.
"random shooting" or "random act of violence" feels like it should be about the act, not who the act is perpetrated against. i don't like your terminology. :P
Lazerus

Post by Lazerus »

I understand this thread is 6 years old, but I'm going to address some of the comments that were made about me then I'm moving on. It's my understanding Foo is no longer around here so I will refrain from addressing him directly.

Foo wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:34 pm Let me show a difference among our community. Many of us have a healthy relationship with horror. I tend to see the black comedy in much of it and empathize with the victim. I am also a docile person who does not fantasize about harming people.

Do you get the sense someone like Lucian saw it that way? Laz? etc.
In this post he seems to be implying that I have an unhealthy relationship with horror and fantasize about hurting people. This is so far from who i am IRL that I can't help but find it laughable. I admit that I own a nice size collection of horror movies (VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray, & 4K) along with memorabilia. But I have never fantasized about hurting people, IDK how he even got that impression of me but whatever.
Foo wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:54 pm
Jason wrote:He got mentioned in the same breath as Lucy so I thought I missed something. :p
Head case, basically. Took everything literally, and seemed to hero worship the antagonists in an unhealthy way. Sociopathic liar. Scary, to me anyways.
It's hard to know if he was referring to me or whoever Lucy is, it could be either. But I'll go ahead and address the antagonist comment since it's inline with the topic above. I don't know what antagonist he is referring to. Maybe Thanos? I did enjoy him winning in Infinity War because I felt it was past time for the villain to get the win. It's not something you see often in superhero films so it was a nice change of pace. But that's my opinion, it's not me worshiping the antagonist lol.
zombie wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:11 pm
Jason wrote:What did Laz do?
just put up the vibe of a thug / jerk. unless foo has something else.
I'm an asshole at times and have never been shy about it. As I have stated before I went through a dark period in my life and unfortunately some of that leaked out on here back then. So, I can understand why you would have such an opinion of me. I regret the arguments that happened between us, as well as with your friend Dream. Just so you know, I have always had a high opinion of you and enjoyed our conversations about horror and such over the years.

Given this entire thread was a debate about gun ownership, I don't understand why I was even brought up in this conversation in the first place. All I can say is that Horror is one of my favorite genres along with Sci-Fi. It's my love for these genres that has inspired me to write my own stories over the years, attend conventions, and build up a my collection of movies & memorabilia related to them.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

don't take it too personally. you've spoken about how you don't like how you were back then too, so yeah. i like myself less than i've ever disliked you. :P and there really wasn't much of a reason to bring you up in this topic, but we've always been random and offtopicky with the way we post and comment. and it would definitely be nice to talk more horror around here.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Foo's always been a harsh critic, and he's been wrong. And more importantly, people change. You obviously have.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

zombie wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:35 pm and it would definitely be nice to talk more horror around here.
Five threads on the Israel/Palestine debate? Got you fam. :P
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

I was not crazy about how Foo talked about some longtime posters in his last days on HMF. But that was his prerogative. I hope he is happy offline.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Lazerus

Post by Lazerus »

Headhunter wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:15 am I was not crazy about how Foo talked about some longtime posters in his last days on HMF. But that was his prerogative. I hope he is happy offline.
Last I heard of him, I was told he got married. That was a few years ago.