Exploiting tragedy

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
zombie
Administrator

Re: Exploiting tragedy

Post by zombie »

short of somehow physically compelling or controlling people to do your absolute bidding, all we have is "what should happen" and "what should be done". :P
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
Again, you are playing very fast and loose with the reality.

They did this. They have done this before with people like the Boston Marathon bombers. What exactly does this do? If they are not mind numbingly stupid and flat out state they are going to commit these crimes, it accomplishes nothing.

I am not advocating any actions being taken. I have defended the mentally ill on this topic. I am not going to sit here and pretend a massive failure of a solution is accomplishing anything, though.
are you talking about law enforcement and/or the fbi? is that the "they" that you're referring to? they can't prevent everything. they will never be able to prevent everything. should they do their jobs better? absolutely. should they take threats or potential threats more seriously? absolutely.

if you're not advocating any actions being taken, why are you jumping down my throat about this? i don't know what your point in all of this is, exactly? are you just playing devil's advocate with me?
I am not jumping down your throat about it. Just pointing out the pointlessness of what "Should" happen.
okay. so are we working under the premise that the people tasked with protecting us and enforcing the law in this country are inept? how does making more laws for them, or even giving them authority to circumvent those laws in certain cases, solve their apparent ineptitude at protecting us and enforcing the law on our behalf?
It doesn't. It is a twisted joke that makes people feel like they are doing something when they aren't. It is like the pointless protests.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

They did this. They have done this before with people like the Boston Marathon bombers. What exactly does this do? If they are not mind numbingly stupid and flat out state they are going to commit these crimes, it accomplishes nothing.

I am not advocating any actions being taken. I have defended the mentally ill on this topic. I am not going to sit here and pretend a massive failure of a solution is accomplishing anything, though.
are you talking about law enforcement and/or the fbi? is that the "they" that you're referring to? they can't prevent everything. they will never be able to prevent everything. should they do their jobs better? absolutely. should they take threats or potential threats more seriously? absolutely.

if you're not advocating any actions being taken, why are you jumping down my throat about this? i don't know what your point in all of this is, exactly? are you just playing devil's advocate with me?
I am not jumping down your throat about it. Just pointing out the pointlessness of what "Should" happen.
okay. so are we working under the premise that the people tasked with protecting us and enforcing the law in this country are inept? how does making more laws for them, or even giving them authority to circumvent those laws in certain cases, solve their apparent ineptitude at protecting us and enforcing the law on our behalf?
It doesn't. It is a twisted joke that makes people feel like they are doing something when they aren't. It is like the pointless protests.
alright. so pence and trump aren't really going to accomplish anything as it relates to gun deaths, either way?
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Did you know that anywhere from 500,000-3 million lives are saved every year in America by armed citizens?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:Did you know that anywhere from 500,000-3 million lives are saved every year in America by armed citizens?
did you just watch the same "change my mind" that i did? :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:Did you know that anywhere from 500,000-3 million lives are saved every year in America by armed citizens?
did you just watch the same "change my mind" that i did? :P
Indeed. New tidbit of info that I didn't know about.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

alright. so pence and trump aren't really going to accomplish anything as it relates to gun deaths, either way?
Mike Pence is the type of guy who can change culture. He could save lives. But through legislation, only hardening the schools in some way. Otherwise they are just attacking lawful gun owners.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote: Mike Pence is the type of guy who can change culture. He could save lives. But through legislation, only hardening the schools in some way. Otherwise they are just attacking lawful gun owners.
i don't know what you're on about, "hardening the schools" and all that.. but if your mindset is that the people enforcing the laws are all inept, then no amount of laws or legislation is going to make any kind of difference at all.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote: Mike Pence is the type of guy who can change culture. He could save lives. But through legislation, only hardening the schools in some way. Otherwise they are just attacking lawful gun owners.
i don't know what you're on about, "hardening the schools" and all that.. but if your mindset is that the people enforcing the laws are all inept, then no amount of laws or legislation is going to make any kind of difference at all.
What about the Florida shooting points to the fact that they are not all inept? Multiple warnings about the guy, a school guard hiding, then officers hiding. Better learn to protect yourself, because relying on that clown show is a sure way to be dead.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
What about the Florida shooting points to the fact that they are not all inept? Multiple warnings about the guy, a school guard hiding, then officers hiding. Better learn to protect yourself, because relying on that clown show is a sure way to be dead.
what about mike pence's legislation do you think will have any effect, if the people expecting to act on that legislation won't or can't act?
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
what about mike pence's legislation do you think will have any effect, if the people expecting to act on that legislation won't or can't act?
Mike Pence can save lives because he is such a strong moral character. By example, he could save lives.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote: Mike Pence can save lives because he is such a strong moral character. By example, he could save lives.
save lives by example, to people that you have, seemingly, no faith in or hope for, at all. good plan. good talk.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote: Mike Pence can save lives because he is such a strong moral character. By example, he could save lives.
save lives by example, to people that you have, seemingly, no faith in or hope for, at all. good plan. good talk.
Do you have any idea how many lives could be saved in this country if more people had strong moral fiber? That is the root of the opiod crisis.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Do you have any idea how many lives could be saved in this country if more people had strong moral fiber? That is the root of the opiod crisis.
and here i thought you didn't care for could be or should be.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
I don't care about fantasy.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
your could be is as much fantasy as anything else in this thread.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
your could be is as much fantasy as anything else in this thread.
Probably not.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

The biggest single issue here is the NRA and the influence they have over the debate.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

showa58taro wrote:The biggest single issue here is the NRA and the influence they have over the debate.
I guess we are ok with doing nothing if a group who advocates following the constitution is the single biggest problem. Personally, I think people killing others is the big issue.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Foo wrote:
showa58taro wrote:The biggest single issue here is the NRA and the influence they have over the debate.
I guess we are ok with doing nothing if a group who advocates following the constitution is the single biggest problem. Personally, I think people killing others is the big issue.
That’s not one issue or one root cause. The NRA are your biggest stumbling block to even an intelligible debate on the issue.