Judgement

Is it just a puzzle box, or a means to summon?
Pinhead, Chatterer, Female and Butterball
Are Demons to some, but Angels to others
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Judgement

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

The surprise of the decade is that this wasn't a shitfest. It's weird in that it basically has Pinhead set up shop in an abandoned house where people tell a cenobite all the fucked up stuff they've done and are then judged before being killed. The side(main?) plot is about some cops looking for a serial killer that's copying John Doe from Seven, but with the commandments. I thought those bits weren't all that great, but it all ties together in the end. I was actually pretty happy with the ending except the last minute. Spoilers for that follow, so don't read anymore if you don't wanna know.

So an angel is letting this dude go around killing people because fear of god or some shit and has Pinhead send him back. Pinhead gets the last laugh when dude gets killed immediately by another cop, and then rips apart the angel. Then the dumb shit happens. God is apparently mad about this, so he banishes Pinhead to become mortal. Kinda shit ending to be honest, especially when the previous five to ten minutes were surprisingly good. Also, there's an aftercredits scene showing the interviewer cenobite is still doing his schtick.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Re: Judgement

Post by Jigsaw »

After seeing a trailer for this one, I'm honestly surprised it's anywhere near acceptable, truth be told. That said, I'll reserve any actual judgement until I get around to seeing it.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Well, when you hit absolute rock bottom with Revelations, ain't nowhere to go but up!
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Jigsaw wrote:After seeing a trailer for this one, I'm honestly surprised it's anywhere near acceptable, truth be told. That said, I'll reserve any actual judgement until I get around to seeing it.
You'll hate it, because you're you. If anyone is really into the lore, they won't like it because it's a departure from the "open box, call the crew" way of doing things. It's almost like a spinoff showing what some other cenobites do instead. Pinhead's in it, but he's mostly just there because "you need Pinhead".
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Jason wrote:Well, when you hit absolute rock bottom with Revelations, ain't nowhere to go but up!
Meh, I still don't think that was the worst of the sequels, lol.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

5-9 are all indescribably bad, with the exception of Katheryn Winnick providing some sort of enjoyment. Revelations wins the worst award for me for the fact that it managed to trail off and feel even less like a Hellraiser film than the previous four. The icing on the cake was the guy they pulled from a Halloween party in a half-assed Pinhead costume to play the actual Pinhead.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

I plan on watching this soon, next week. If it's available to rent that is. I ain't blind buying this, lol.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jason wrote:5-9 are all indescribably bad, with the exception of Katheryn Winnick providing some sort of enjoyment. Revelations wins the worst award for me for the fact that it managed to trail off and feel even less like a Hellraiser film than the previous four. The icing on the cake was the guy they pulled from a Halloween party in a half-assed Pinhead costume to play the actual Pinhead.
That's funny because I thought Revelations felt more like Hellraiser than any of those previous four, lol. It might've been more of a half-ass attempt to rush a script that sorta resembled the first movie (thematically), but it felt way closer than the random cop thrillers with Pinhead shoe-horned in.

That guy was bad, yes, no question on that.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

"half assed" is still generous though. More like quarter ass.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Revelations is the only one I haven't seen. After Hellraiser the MMO, I was done.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Slaughterhouserock wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:After seeing a trailer for this one, I'm honestly surprised it's anywhere near acceptable, truth be told. That said, I'll reserve any actual judgement until I get around to seeing it.
You'll hate it, because you're you.
I'm sure it wasn't meant this way, but I'll take this as a compliment. :p
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:
Jason wrote:5-9 are all indescribably bad, with the exception of Katheryn Winnick providing some sort of enjoyment. Revelations wins the worst award for me for the fact that it managed to trail off and feel even less like a Hellraiser film than the previous four. The icing on the cake was the guy they pulled from a Halloween party in a half-assed Pinhead costume to play the actual Pinhead.
That's funny because I thought Revelations felt more like Hellraiser than any of those previous four, lol. It might've been more of a half-ass attempt to rush a script that sorta resembled the first movie (thematically), but it felt way closer than the random cop thrillers with Pinhead shoe-horned in.

That guy was bad, yes, no question on that.
This.

Judgement has been rotting in my netflix queue, but it's making it's way up so now I'm not totally dreading it.
CrazyRalphLives
Charter Member

Post by CrazyRalphLives »

Slaughterhouserock wrote:The surprise of the decade is that this wasn't a shitfest. It's weird in that it basically has Pinhead set up shop in an abandoned house where people tell a cenobite all the fucked up stuff they've done and are then judged before being killed. The side(main?) plot is about some cops looking for a serial killer that's copying John Doe from Seven, but with the commandments. I thought those bits weren't all that great, but it all ties together in the end. I was actually pretty happy with the ending except the last minute. Spoilers for that follow, so don't read anymore if you don't wanna know.

So an angel is letting this dude go around killing people because fear of god or some shit and has Pinhead send him back. Pinhead gets the last laugh when dude gets killed immediately by another cop, and then rips apart the angel. Then the dumb shit happens. God is apparently mad about this, so he banishes Pinhead to become mortal. Kinda shit ending to be honest, especially when the previous five to ten minutes were surprisingly good. Also, there's an aftercredits scene showing the interviewer cenobite is still doing his schtick.
I actually enjoyed this movie quite a bit. I thought Paul Taylor did a fine job as the Hell Priest -- much better than the guy from Revelations.

I totally agree with you on the ending. 100%. If this had ended with the Auditor's question to Pinhead as something to linger on, I would have been totally satisfied. The cheap ass shots of the sky and homeless /pinless Pinhead and "the sweet suffering" at the tail end was really shitty.
Lunachic
Charter Member

Post by Lunachic »

I don’t know how to go about this lol okay it was gross but I didn’t hate it but not really something I would sit through again
I can’t handle puking .. seeing it hearing it smelling it ... it’s my krypton
Way to much puke Eating in this movie :mrgreen: Pinhead came off as egotistical arrogant and a huge narcissist Ugh pretty boring
I liked one character a lot though The Auditor I think the writer/director Pulled him off well . He was the only reason I continued watching tbh
The last few minutes were really ridiculous