Hausu

Horreur, Hörrör, ホラー映画、il horroria. Der Schreckfilm, skräckfilmer.
zombie
Administrator

Hausu

Post by zombie »

could this have influenced the evil dead at all? and are there more japanese / asian horror movies that are similar?
Jason
Administrator

Re: Hausu

Post by Jason »

Nah, in 35 years, Raimi or Campbell would've at least mentioned it, if there was any influence.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

It's been awhile since I've watched it, but I don't see an Evil Dead connection at all.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

I've not seen it, but know pretty well about it.

More in line with Babadook. :p
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Slaughterhouserock wrote:It's been awhile since I've watched it, but I don't see an Evil Dead connection at all.
it isn't really anything overt. there are a group of people at a cabin with supernatural forces going on, in a surreal / campy way. but it's not any direct reference or anything. it could just be me seeing things into it that aren't there.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:I've not seen it, but know pretty well about it.

More in line with Babadook. :p
ewwww. no.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Hausu is a great movie, probably a top 15 foreign flick, but I've never really felt a connection with Evil Dead (though the setting and black comedic nature of both do lend credence to such an idea, I admit).
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i've been reading around, and there a few places that consider it to be an influence for sam raimi. one or two even calling it a "spiritual predecessor" to the evil dead, so i'm not alone.. even if it's unfounded. :P

top 15 foreign may be close, but there is a lot of competition.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

zombie wrote:i've been reading around, and there a few places that consider it to be an influence for sam raimi. one or two even calling evil dead a "spiritual predecessor", so i'm not alone.. even if it's unfounded. :P

top 15 foreign may be close, but there is a lot of competition.
No doubt. Italy alone has at least 15 horror flicks I really enjoy, not to mention a smattering from across Europe and Asia (well, and Canada). :p
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

do you consider canada to be foreign?
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

zombie wrote:do you consider canada to be foreign?
Since I'm in the USA, and I am a very literate person, yes. :lol:

I do agree, though, more oft than not, they certainly don't feel foreign. But nonetheless, to be fair, I'd have to count them as such.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

How is Canada not foreign? lol. Evil Dead is foreign to Seb.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i guess i consider foreign to be non-english language. i don't consider movies made in england to be foreign. but technically it is.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

also, when people talk about domestic take at the box office, canada is included in that. so take that as you will. :P
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Jason wrote:How is Canada not foreign? lol. Evil Dead is foreign to Seb.
Because they don't feel foreign at all, to most viewers, I'd expect.

City in Panic (1986) is a Canadian movie - aside from Toronto being mentioned as the setting multiple times, it easily could have been filmed in Minnesota or Michigan. :P

Canadian slashers in particular don't feel foreign to me, and movies like Pontypool, while Canadian, is much the same way.

Does Prom Night (1980) really feel that different in any way to Sweet 16 (1983), a Canadian film? Not to me.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

zombie wrote:i guess i consider foreign to be non-english language. i don't consider movies made in england to be foreign. but technically it is.
But if a movie is German, but dubbed in English, would you see that as foreign?

Genuinely curious.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jigsaw wrote:
zombie wrote:i guess i consider foreign to be non-english language. i don't consider movies made in england to be foreign. but technically it is.

Genuinely curious.
i guess i should have said original language. if you dub a german movie into english, it's still german to me. and i know i've seen a lot of italian movies that don't have the original language track to go along with it... but they're still foreign. :P
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

zombie wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:

Genuinely curious.
i guess i should have said original language. if you dub a german movie into english, it's still german to me. and i know i've seen a lot of italian movies that don't have the original language track to go along with it... but they're still foreign. :P
But if a German movie is originally made in English, it's no longer foreign?

Consistent. Incorrect, but consistent. :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

What about a movie like Tombs of the Blind Dead, where it's dubbed in English, but they're still speaking English half the time. ?? :p
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jigsaw wrote:
zombie wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:

Genuinely curious.
But if a German movie is originally made in English, it's no longer foreign?

Consistent. Incorrect, but consistent. :P
no. give me an example of that happening?