Faces of Death: A Forgotten Legacy?

The classics, be it Nosferatu or Last House on the Left.
Forum rules
If you want heavy moderation, this place isn't for you.
zombie
Administrator

Re: Faces of Death: A Forgotten Legacy?

Post by zombie »

Slaughterhouserock wrote:
Foo wrote:And it is not surprising it has no fan base, as it is dated shock cinema. Not arguing they are good films, but arguing for their rightful place in horror history. Bottom shelf of the VHS horror aisle of every 80's video store. Same reason no one would be a fan of Girls Gone Wild movies today or Penthouse Letters, when you can pull up volumes on your computer that are far edgier.

I don't think they're forgotten when it comes to diehard horror fans. I think the Death/Mondo films are as well known as the Guinea Pig films. Horror fans will still watch them for the sake of seeing the origins of shock/gore, but they won't have the same effect. Casual horror fans won't have a clue about them, though.
from what i know of the guinea pig films, they have more of a narrative story going on, than faces of death does. (and i assume most other mondo films?) so it has something else to offer. granted, i haven't seen those either. but just going by what i've read and heard.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

and speaking of guinea pig films, mermaid in a manhole starts off good, but i can't follow cause the subtitles are in spanish. :P *attempted watch on youtube*
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

zombie wrote:and speaking of guinea pig films, mermaid in a manhole starts off good, but i can't follow cause the subtitles are in spanish. :P *attempted watch on youtube*
Flowers of Flesh and Blood is about the only horror movie (I know it's short, but I count them as movies) that I actually turned off because I was feeling sick.

Never did get around to watching that one again as of yet.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jigsaw wrote:
zombie wrote:and speaking of guinea pig films, mermaid in a manhole starts off good, but i can't follow cause the subtitles are in spanish. :P *attempted watch on youtube*
Flowers of Flesh and Blood is about the only horror movie (I know it's short, but I count them as movies) that I actually turned off because I was feeling sick.

apparently, charlie sheen thought that was something real, and contacted the fbi about it. :P
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

zombie wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:

apparently, charlie sheen thought that was something real, and contacted the fbi about it. :P
Indeed. I never thought it was real, but I won't deny it made me sick to my stomach. Fun times. :P
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

zombie wrote:from what i know of the guinea pig films, they have more of a narrative story going on, than faces of death does. (and i assume most other mondo films?) so it has something else to offer. granted, i haven't seen those either. but just going by what i've read and heard.
Very loose plots if any, depending on the film. Flowers of Flesh and Blood has no dialogue that I recall, and is just a dude kidnaps a girl and slowly dismembers her. The end. The Devil's Experiment is a group of dudes that kidnap a girl and torture her as a science experiment, but again, not much in the way of plot development. The others have a bit more plot, but not much.
You don't really need to know what they're saying. Nutty dude finds a mermaid, puts her in the tub, she starts to rot. It's about the gross out factor, not the plot.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

Jigsaw wrote:Flowers of Flesh and Blood is about the only horror movie (I know it's short, but I count them as movies) that I actually turned off because I was feeling sick.

My favorite scene in that is when he picks up her arm or leg and is inspecting it and just has this goofy look on his face. Shit was hilarious. I made a gif of it, but don't have it anymore.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Slaughterhouserock wrote:
zombie wrote:from what i know of the guinea pig films, they have more of a narrative story going on, than faces of death does. (and i assume most other mondo films?) so it has something else to offer. granted, i haven't seen those either. but just going by what i've read and heard.
Very loose plots if any, depending on the film. Flowers of Flesh and Blood has no dialogue that I recall, and is just a dude kidnaps a girl and slowly dismembers her. The end. The Devil's Experiment is a group of dudes that kidnap a girl and torture her as a science experiment, but again, not much in the way of plot development. The others have a bit more plot, but not much.
You don't really need to know what they're saying. Nutty dude finds a mermaid, puts her in the tub, she starts to rot. It's about the gross out factor, not the plot.
still, more up my horror alley than faces of death was, even from the little bit that i watched. gonna go give it more of a look in a bit.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

in the spirit of the direction that this thread seems to be going, what are your favorite films from the exploitation horror subgenres? like mondo, nunspoitation, wip, pinku. etc?
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

zombie wrote:in the spirit of the direction that this thread seems to be going, what are your favorite films from the exploitation horror subgenres? like mondo, nunspoitation, wip, pinku. etc?
I got a decent old school exploitation haul from Shameless. Company got a lot of the old nunsploitation and exploitation films of the 70s for cheap in the UK, I’m guessing. Good fun. Some proper old gems.
dave626

Post by dave626 »

Saw it in theaters. This was Blair Witch before Blair Witch. By that I mean they advertised it as real and went for the shock and gore but came off with more shlock and laughs than anything. Especially the one where the guy jumps to his death. When you saw it, you kinda hoped it was fake, some you knew it was fake, but ones like the person getting hit by the train was a tricky edit. Of course, being the young impressionable age at the time of release didn't help.

Looking back on it, and of course, all of it being debunked, plus with all the real stuff now and the internet, this isn't much to look at, but for it's time it was at least original. Marketing, putting it on at night and "secretly", passing it off as real, made it more than what it was. A for effort there. But now it's just silly.
MindfulInquirer

Post by MindfulInquirer »

Yeah I'd say so (forgotten). With websites like ogrish and bestgore and what not, people are busier with that stuff where they've got an online platform to comment and read other people's reactions. Either way, it's gross and real, I personally draw the line between fantasy and actually torturing another human being not to sound holier than thou or anything.