The ongoing rights battle

There's a legend around here. A killer buried, but not dead.
A curse on Crystal Lake. A death curse. Jason Voorhees' curse.
Few have seen him and lived. Some have even tried to stop him... No one can.
Foo
Administrator

The ongoing rights battle

Post by Foo »

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-es ... ts-1012930

This is in addition to the Paramount rights issue, that I believe is set to expire in 2018.
zombie
Administrator

Re: The ongoing rights battle

Post by zombie »

so, as it looks now, miller only has the rights to jason as a child who died in the lake? does that mean that there won't be any reference to his origins or to pamela voorhees with newer friday the 13th movies? this seems like a mess.

is victor miller even in a position, financially, to make any films of his own, if he does have some part of the rights to the character?
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Yay, more hot potato with rights and whoever wins gets to sit on it and not do anything. Sorry, I am annoyed a fan movie can produce better than they can at the moment.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:so, as it looks now, miller only has the rights to jason as a child who died in the lake? does that mean that there won't be any reference to his origins or to pamela voorhees with newer friday the 13th movies? this seems like a mess.

is victor miller even in a position, financially, to make any films of his own, if he does have some part of the rights to the character?
The idea would be that he gets paid for the use, not that he would go and make a movie.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:so, as it looks now, miller only has the rights to jason as a child who died in the lake? does that mean that there won't be any reference to his origins or to pamela voorhees with newer friday the 13th movies? this seems like a mess.

The idea would be that he gets paid for the use, not that he would go and make a movie.
sean cunningham, or whoever, is just likely to find a way to avoid using whatever he owns the rights to. or else he would already be included when it came time to shell out for the films.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Yay, more hot potato with rights and whoever wins gets to sit on it and not do anything. Sorry, I am annoyed a fan movie can produce better than they can at the moment.
They get too clever and greedy with the rights. Instead of it being a simple deal, they sell in pieces and in time increments. Hence you have no continuity and lose the "Friday the 13th" title for the three New Line films. I am convinced Jason was made substantially different in appearance for those three movies solely for the sake of merchandising. I am also convinced that Creighton Duke was supposed to be Tommy Jarvis.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Foo wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Yay, more hot potato with rights and whoever wins gets to sit on it and not do anything. Sorry, I am annoyed a fan movie can produce better than they can at the moment.
They get too clever and greedy with the rights. Instead of it being a simple deal, they sell in pieces and in time increments. Hence you have no continuity and lose the "Friday the 13th" title for the three New Line films. I am convinced Jason was made substantially different in appearance for those three movies solely for the sake of merchandising. I am also convinced that Creighton Duke was supposed to be Tommy Jarvis.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:
Foo wrote:
This.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Blown, is mind.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Alternate theory: Creighton Duke is actually named Creighton "Reggie" Duke, and was the kid in part 5.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Foo wrote:Alternate theory: Creighton Duke is actually named Creighton "Reggie" Duke, and was the kid in part 5.
lol
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Racism!
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Jason wrote:Racism!
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

The rights issues has basically led to the end of the Friday the 13th game, as they are not going to allow any new updates to it that were planned.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Watched any interview with Larry Zerner (Shelly from 3 but also a prominent copyright attorney), and the issue is actually going to set many precedents legally. That kernel of Jason planted in the original is such a different concept than other cases that have been heard.