How Would You Deal With North Korea

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
Jason
Administrator

Re: How Would You Deal With North Korea

Post by Jason »

You're not seeing the forest for the trees, yo. Removing sanctions was an excellent move. This is the Negotiator in Chief that we elected. You have to realize that the sanctions were primarily not his idea. It came from congress and the military. This gives him deniability. So now he's pulling back on the sanctions by approaching the situation on a more personal level. This is where 4D chess comes into play and either a. none of you are wise to it, or b. you will characterize anything Trump does as a loss because of your inherent bias against him. Meaning the fact that I'm explaining all this to you may actually be moot, but I'm doing it anyway because I am a good friend and I have faith that the Orange-Man-Bad-Cloud hovering around all your heads will dissipate with a little political sunshine brought to you by your favorite political prophet (me! le Jason).

The 4D chess is this: In Korean culture (whether North or South), it is considered very bad and dishonorable if Kim Jong didn't (at minimum) respond with even higher regard to Trump's personal approach to North Korea. These things play a considerable role in politicking all the time. You should know this, and it plays a role in politicking with Kim Jong Un more than any other world leader. If he appears dishonorable to his own people or his military in the way he approaches Trump's gesture, people within his regime, his citizens and his military, all might start talking about rebelling. So he's now in a vulnerable position and fairweather followers of politics and never-Trumpers don't even realize it. Trump's giving them nothing measurable at all. He's scaling back sanctions that aren't even there. They're obviously already feeling pressured under existing sanctions to talk to the U.S. The positive diplomatic pressure instilled by Trump and the negative pressure of the possibility of more sanctions or military reprisal is what's gotten North and South Korea to negotiate... That's ultimately the goal, here!!! Herro?!?!

In short, in order to deal with Kim Jong Un of all people, you're going to need a more friendly foundation to build actual policy on. It's a waiting game, we've still got historic levels of sanctions on them already under Trump, he's just scaling back on additional ones that aren't even in play, all of this is basically Trump extending his hand and saying "have another summit with me". You shouldn't be so quick to jump the gun and predict failure on negotiations that are still ongoing and barely starting.

Forest for the trees, brother.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Jason wrote:You're not seeing the forest for the trees, yo. Removing sanctions was an excellent move. This is the Negotiator in Chief that we elected. You have to realize that the sanctions were primarily not his idea. It came from congress and the military. This gives him deniability. So now he's pulling back on the sanctions by approaching the situation on a more personal level. This is where 4D chess comes into play and either a. none of you are wise to it, or b. you will characterize anything Trump does as a loss because of your inherent bias against him. Meaning the fact that I'm explaining all this to you may actually be moot, but I'm doing it anyway because I am a good friend and I have faith that the Orange-Man-Bad-Cloud hovering around all your heads will dissipate with a little political sunshine brought to you by your favorite political prophet (me! le Jason).

The 4D chess is this: In Korean culture (whether North or South), it is considered very bad and dishonorable if Kim Jong didn't (at minimum) respond with even higher regard to Trump's personal approach to North Korea. These things play a considerable role in politicking all the time. You should know this, and it plays a role in politicking with Kim Jong Un more than any other world leader. If he appears dishonorable to his own people or his military in the way he approaches Trump's gesture, people within his regime, his citizens and his military, all might start talking about rebelling. So he's now in a vulnerable position and fairweather followers of politics and never-Trumpers don't even realize it. Trump's giving them nothing measurable at all. He's scaling back sanctions that aren't even there. They're obviously already feeling pressured under existing sanctions to talk to the U.S. The positive diplomatic pressure instilled by Trump and the negative pressure of the possibility of more sanctions or military reprisal is what's gotten North and South Korea to negotiate... That's ultimately the goal, here!!! Herro?!?!

In short, in order to deal with Kim Jong Un of all people, you're going to need a more friendly foundation to build actual policy on. It's a waiting game, we've still got historic levels of sanctions on them already under Trump, he's just scaling back on additional ones that aren't even in play, all of this is basically Trump extending his hand and saying "have another summit with me". You shouldn't be so quick to jump the gun and predict failure on negotiations that are still ongoing and barely starting.

So, not this?
Jason wrote:He's been tougher on North Korea than any president in our lifetime by faaaar..
Because what you just outlined is not tough on Korea at all.

What you’re saying is he’s not hard on Korea, he’s deliberately soft to force Kim to cone to the table because he’s removed the specter of US Military might as the enemy which is the overriding narrative of the North. Which would be fine if he was good at anything like deal making. But he’s not. Hence not making any ground and giving Kim tons of upside for no cost.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

What I stated above is him being tough on North Korea. By going the personal route, Trump now has a tremendous advantage. Obama would kiss Kim Jong's feet and you'd love it.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

That’s not being tough. You KNOW that’s not being tough. In no universe does that equate to tough.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

It's all playground scrap tough until he drops a yo mama joke and Kim really loses his shit.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

showa58taro wrote:That’s not being tough. You KNOW that’s not being tough. In no universe does that equate to tough.
Yes it is. You did not process my post at the top of the page. Read it again.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Read it. Not tough. You’re saying (wrongly) he’s outmaneuveringbKim. Which is smart but not tough.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

I just know 4D chess is always equated with the apex of rough and toughness.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Notoriously rough and nasty, those chess grand masters.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Checkers children. Worked like a charm with Mexico.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

Jason wrote:Checkers children. Worked like a charm with Mexico.
He should be playing checkers with Hillary in prison where they belong. :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Trump never belonged in prison until he ran for president as a republican. Odd timing. Sad.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

Jason wrote:Trump never belonged in prison until he ran for president as a republican. Odd timing. Sad.
That's cute. I'll tell that to all the Republicans I have ever voted for, which is several starting with Dubya. You really got me there!
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

It's the paradigm shift in full effect. The left tends to distance themselves from reality while Conservatives tend to ground themselves in it. Luckily Generation Z is going to be overwhelmingly Conservative. Hopefully living in a world of political fairytales and bias is going the way of the dinosaur very soon.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Jason wrote:You're not seeing the forest for the trees, yo. Removing sanctions was an excellent move. This is the Negotiator in Chief that we elected. You have to realize that the sanctions were primarily not his idea. It came from congress and the military. This gives him deniability. So now he's pulling back on the sanctions by approaching the situation on a more personal level. This is where 4D chess comes into play and either a. none of you are wise to it, or b. you will characterize anything Trump does as a loss because of your inherent bias against him. Meaning the fact that I'm explaining all this to you may actually be moot, but I'm doing it anyway because I am a good friend and I have faith that the Orange-Man-Bad-Cloud hovering around all your heads will dissipate with a little political sunshine brought to you by your favorite political prophet (me! le Jason).

You guys could make money off of my political predictions.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Trump gets payed, Jason celebrates. Same old cycle.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

It's unhealthy to go out of your way to lie to yourself about the political climate and events because you don't like who's winning.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

In all honesty, I will have to see what the results are down the road before I can make a judgement. My main problem is Trump pretty much dismissing NK sending back an American dead. That really was a sign of weakness to me. If he can give Kim a pass on that, what else will he allow Kim to get away with? I guess we will see.