Did anyone actually go to Hälsingland, Sweden because of the movie Midsommar?

You can talk about anything here
serena347511

Did anyone actually go to Hälsingland, Sweden because of the movie Midsommar?

Post by serena347511 »

Hello everyone, I am a graduate student studying tourism in Sweden. I'm going to write my thesis on film tourism and the first thing that came to my mind was the movie Midsommar because it mentions a lot of Swedish traditions and place names. But it is rare to find on the internet that there are actually tourists visiting and experiencing the local culture. Is there anyone around you who has been to a horror movie set? Thank you all!
zombie
Administrator

Re: Did anyone actually go to Hälsingland, Sweden because of the movie Midsommar?

Post by zombie »

serena347511 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:37 pm Hello everyone, I am a graduate student studying tourism in Sweden. I'm going to write my thesis on film tourism and the first thing that came to my mind was the movie Midsommar because it mentions a lot of Swedish traditions and place names. But it is rare to find on the internet that there are actually tourists visiting and experiencing the local culture. Is there anyone around you who has been to a horror movie set? Thank you all!
i don't think many of us have been there, for midsommar or otherwise, but we do actually have a swede on the board. so he may have visited halsingland.

i've heard of horror films negatively impacting tourism as well, like hostel supposedly did to slovakia, if that is any interest to your thesis.
serena347511

Re: Did anyone actually go to Hälsingland, Sweden because of the movie Midsommar?

Post by serena347511 »

zombie wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:27 pm
serena347511 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:37 pm Hello everyone, I am a graduate student studying tourism in Sweden. I'm going to write my thesis on film tourism and the first thing that came to my mind was the movie Midsommar because it mentions a lot of Swedish traditions and place names. But it is rare to find on the internet that there are actually tourists visiting and experiencing the local culture. Is there anyone around you who has been to a horror movie set? Thank you all!
i don't think many of us have been there, for midsommar or otherwise, but we do actually have a swede on the board. so he may have visited halsingland.

i've heard of horror films negatively impacting tourism as well, like hostel supposedly did to slovakia, if that is any interest to your thesis.
omg Hostel is a good example to write as a negative destination image topic! Thx, guess horror movie is still a undeveloped area in tourism industry! :P
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

serena347511 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:33 pm
zombie wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:27 pm

omg Hostel is a good example to write as a negative destination image topic! Thx, guess horror movie is still a undeveloped area in tourism industry! :P
yeah, tourism probably isn't big into exploiting horror films. the genre is set on scares and tension, so any location featured is, more often than not, probably going to be shown in a negative light. that works favorably more for smaller attractions like a home featured in a horror film, rather than a state or country that becomes linked to a horror film. though, texas doesn't seem to have suffered too much because of the sawyers. :P it is a cool topic to explore. good luck with the thesis!