Someone Old. Someone New.

introduce yourself. Let us know who you are.
JustChuck

Someone Old. Someone New.

Post by JustChuck »

Hello everyone, my name is Chuck. We don't know each other yet, but I love movies and devour them with a tremendous appetite. I have almost 16000 checks on ICheckMovies. I love Westerns, Musicals and Film noir, but my favorite genre is Horror. Inspired by They Shoot Zombies, Don't They? and its list of 1000 movies (all of which I have seen), I spent the past year building up my own Definitive list of 1000 Horror/Thrillers.

I am not going to link to it just now because I'm not here to promote my project. I'm here looking for some discussion. I want to know you and I want you to know (and influence) me. In the past week, I've watched...
The Innocents/De uskyldige (2021)
History of the Occult (2020)
Wyrmwood: Apocalypse (2021)
The Sadness (2021)
Hatching (2022)

...and I've had no one to engage with about them. That's why I'm here.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Re: Someone Old. Someone New.

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

Welcome to the boards. I'm not much for new horror, so I haven't gotten around to watching any of those yet, unfortunately.
JustChuck

Post by JustChuck »

I hadn't realized until I was writing down the years how much of my recent viewings were new movies. I am cliche in thinking that Horror really took off after 1960, but I've seen plenty of good ones from before that point, going as far back as Silent gems like Fear/Furcht (1917) and The Bells (1926).

What era is your favorite?
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

I've not seen Furcht, but I can definitely appreciate someone who goes back to the silent era. The Bells, I did rather enjoy (perhaps more than most). I think, when it comes to silent horror, there are some true gems out there (such as The Last Warning and The Magician), and I'm working toward seeing the 15 or so I've thus far been unable to view.

I personally feel the best years of horror were from 1960 to 1989, or at least, most entertaining personally, but I can pretty much consume anything, be it silent classics or newer films. Admittedly, I have a hard time keeping up with new releases (I've not seen either the new Scream movie, nor have I seen the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre, for instance), but I try to do a roundup of the previous year each January (so January of this year, I watched 15 or so films from 2021).

Because I that, I regret to say that I've not seen of the films you listed. I've heard of The Innocents, and almost watched it earlier this year, but passed it up for something else. I may not be able to engage with discussions over those, but I certainly do look forward to speaking with you more.

Welcome to the site.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Welcome to HMF
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

JustChuck wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:48 pmWhat era is your favorite?
Not sure what defines an era, but I'd say the 80's are my favorite decade, with anything from '70-'00 usually being something I'd enjoy. Beyond that, it's usually very forgettable to me(with few exceptions, of course).
JustChuck

Post by JustChuck »

I grew up during the 80s where there was a new slasher film every week and many were just more of the same. That's why I especially enjoy looking for a treasure I overlooked back in the day, like Sweet Sixteen or the gloriously trashy Dead End Drive-In. Tracking Horror, it seems to be the last genre to break down outside pressure and censorship to be more creative about its stories. I love the 70s and 80s - 1971 looks like one of the most important years and 1978 features 3 of the All Time Greats - but I really like what horror's been putting out since 2000.