New Shit

How can we improve the board?
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Re: New Shit

Post by Reign in Blood »

Trying to make the Last Supper here, and where's D, Jason, Seb, Zombs, Foo...? Nowhere! Judasesesss!
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

I told Reign already, but I'll mention it here too. I have access to all the old files, so I can just pull up the changes and plop them into the new files to get shit back to normal. Only problem is, I have no idea what anyone did, so don't know where to look. So, if anyone that has made any changes wants to point me in the right direction, I can make with the copy/paste.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

I've never made any changes
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Jason said once he gets a free moment, it should be easy to point you in the right direction. He's just gotta put the dumbbells down and find that moment.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

If I can find time to put the dumbbells down, anyone can. :p
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Gym rats, he already admitted he's past his prime! Doing 100 reps of that shit is just wasting time now, damnit! :D
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Been surprisingly busy this week, but I'm gonna try to fuck around with this today and over the weekend. I know fuckall about graphics/visuals, so it'll probably end in disaster(not for the site, I won't make changes unless I know they work).

Also, does anyone have a screenshot from the boards pre-update? Would be nice to have something to compare it to other than my dogshit memory.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Ok, so basically the entire layout is different now, including browsing around the admin control panel, and I'm not sure if it's a mobile thing or not. I remember the site was exactly the same when using my phone or laptop. Right now I'm on my phone and everything seems rearranged, so I'm also lost.

Basically, you'll need to administer coding changes and install certain plug-ins to change the look of the site back to what it was and to get the embed buttons working again (youtube, spoilers. Etc..). I am way more familiar with Javascript coding and the way proboards is set up. Which is why the spare board ( hmfspareboard.proboards.com ) looks almost identical to the old board. The only thing I could figure out with the phpBB codes as far as the graphics goes is how to implement the color coding. Took me a long time. But implementing the entire graphics change to the old forum was extremely difficult to figure out, coupled with the fact that the site was demanding an upgrade already, so I just elected to leave it the fuck alone. Didn't want to risk going through losing everything again.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

I know I need to make changes, I just need to know in which .css files to avoid reading lines of code all day. Do you know what plugins were used? There might be updated versions of them, so I could just plop them back in. Also, for the coloring, do you know what colors were used? Color codes would be ideal if you have them.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Reign in Blood wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:49 pm
Tiggnutz wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:39 pm
Reign in Blood wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:52 pm I can only imagine. I done told Jason and Seb and Tigg etc. to do this like 3 years ago but they basically told me to go fuck myself, so this is nice surprise! :D Thank you.
Those were my exact words :|
Maybe not you Tigg. But SEB, that sumabitch, he's always chaving on me. :evil: :mrgreen:
Gotta keep you on your toes man.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

I used the wayback machine to get a copy of the boards to reference and was able to get the color codes for shit from that. Took a guess at the font, but it looks right.

Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Slaughterhouserock wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:35 pm I know I need to make changes, I just need to know in which .css files to avoid reading lines of code all day. Do you know what plugins were used? There might be updated versions of them, so I could just plop them back in. Also, for the coloring, do you know what colors were used? Color codes would be ideal if you have them.
That's the problem. With the site update even the admin panel is different. I would remember where most of the code edits were if I could navigate around the admin panel the way it looked before, but it's pretty different and I get lost trying to find it.

And yeah, archive.today is a good way to go back and see old websites.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

So you're saying you made all the graphical edits in the ACP, not in CPanel?
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Figured out how to do the rotating banner thing we used to have. Just need the banners if anyone has them.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Slaughterhouserock wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:38 pm So you're saying you made all the graphical edits in the ACP, not in CPanel?
Yeah. I made all those graphic changes in the ACP. Thats where the bulk of the coding is. Somewhere in there are main page graphics and global graphics. Global graphics will add color changes and stuff to every board on the forum.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Slaughterhouserock wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:30 pm Figured out how to do the rotating banner thing we used to have. Just need the banners if anyone has them.
I made some new banners for the site when we first opened up this board. We can use those for now. I'll leave a link to the thread below. Also. When the original site crashed, I used archive.org and inspected element to save a lot of the old graphics for the board. I created a photobucket account and hosted all our shit on it when I updated the spareboard. Then photobucket fucked everyone over and I had to rehost everything to IMGur. When I remember the account info, I'll send it. It should have all the original banners too.

http://horrormoviefans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=116
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

If anyone's interested in what I've been doing, you can check the HMF1 style in your settings. Still need a few color changes and to move the profiles over, but it's getting there.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Jason wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:15 pm Yeah. I made all those graphic changes in the ACP. Thats where the bulk of the coding is. Somewhere in there are main page graphics and global graphics. Global graphics will add color changes and stuff to every board on the forum.
I just used the ACP for uploading styles/extensions and getting rid of bots. CPanel has all the actual files, and is easy to use, so I've just been using it. Go in, make an edit, save, done. Just took me a bit to figure out which files had what, since there's alot of back and forth between a few of them.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Jason wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:25 pm I made some new banners for the site when we first opened up this board. We can use those for now. I'll leave a link to the thread below. Also. When the original site crashed, I used archive.org and inspected element to save a lot of the old graphics for the board. I created a photobucket account and hosted all our shit on it when I updated the spareboard. Then photobucket fucked everyone over and I had to rehost everything to IMGur. When I remember the account info, I'll send it. It should have all the original banners too.

http://horrormoviefans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=116
Thanks for the link. This won't be implemented until later down the line, but it's good to know.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Jason, do you have that marble image background that we used to have? Could possibly throw that in as an optional theme.