Halloween Kills (2018 - spoilers brah)

This is where you post your review to be posted on the main site. Reviews will screened for relevance and spelling before it is posted to the main site.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Re: Halloween Kills (2018 - spoilers brah)

Post by Jmac Attack »

I changed my grade to an A-. I'm gonna watch it again after the challenge.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Looks like we need to get to the bottom whether this is a piece of crapolas or not.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Reaction has been pretty mixed. Twitter's horror community has been arguing about it for the last few days. Someone had the audacity, to list it in their top three favorite Halloweens, and even I got offended.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

It's a solid "ok". There are far better, and there are far worse. Mid-tier, possibly closer to the bottom, but watchable with the occasional good bit. Non-horror people's opinions do not matter, so I don't care what anyone on twitter thinks. Most of them have probably only seen the remakes and the last one, and think that jump scares are the height of horror.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

On Twitter no film can be ok or average it's either the greatest thing ever made or a horrendous pile of shit.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Tonight. tonight. TONIGHT! It is a touch of irony that I haven't heard that much whiny bitching tonight's since the Smashing Pumpkins. :lol:
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

In the fucking armpit. Motherfucker that would hurt.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

I'm not liking this alternate history with Loomis gonna lay it down and all. hmmm
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

I feel like I'm watching Sliders or some shit.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Alright, just axe Jamie Lee from this and all the philosophical crap, and don't be fucking with Loomis, then we got something we can work with here. And I don't know dudes, that window shit is, what in the ever loving fuck. I'm still cool with how it went more RZs H2 route, the more brutal go for the jugular variety. And I liked the 80s synth music, not the piano shiz as much.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

I loved the original throwback scenes in Kills simply for making it feel like I was watching part of the original again. It was good. I gave it a solid 4/5.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

Reign in Blood wrote:Alright, just axe Jamie Lee from this and all the philosophical crap, and don't be fucking with Loomis, then we got something we can work with here. And I don't know dudes, that window shit is, what in the ever loving fuck. I'm still cool with how it went more RZs H2 route, the more brutal go for the jugular variety. And I liked the 80s synth music, not the piano shiz as much.
Yeah, I loved the 80s synth music.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

Jason wrote:I loved the original throwback scenes in Kills simply for making it feel like I was watching part of the original again. It was good. I gave it a solid 4/5.
I really need to see all of the Halloween movies. There are still a couple that I need to get to. This one felt proper. I think the only ones I haven't seen are parts 6 and the one after, H2O. I finally watched Resurrection not too long ago oooof. That Busta scene.....now I finally know what yall is talking about lol
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Reign in Blood wrote:I'm not liking this alternate history with Loomis gonna lay it down and all. hmmm
I actually dug that. Felt like it might be in character for him to execute Myers in front of the Haddonfield Police Department, and because of the death of Brackett's daughter, of course most of the officers wouldn't bat an eye.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Jigsaw wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:I'm not liking this alternate history with Loomis gonna lay it down and all. hmmm
I actually dug that. Felt like it might be in character for him to execute Myers in front of the Haddonfield Police Department, and because of the death of Brackett's daughter, of course most of the officers wouldn't bat an eye.
Problem is, if that's the case, that candy ass kid ain't gonna stop it.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Also I forgot to mention I definitely got a Haute/High Tension vibe, from the circular/masonry saw, to the head stuck in the stairs, to even some of the creeping. Aja should do one of these.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Reign in Blood wrote:Also I forgot to mention I definitely got a Haute/High Tension vibe, from the circular/masonry saw, to the head stuck in the stairs, to even some of the creeping. Aja should do one of these.
I totally thought of Haute Tension when I saw the saw.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

After settling it on Flickchart, I bumped my grade down to B+
dave626

Post by dave626 »

I absolutely loved it. I've watched it 4 times already. Once in theater, once on TV and twice on computer. The opening music gave me chills. I definitely got my money's worth on this one. Their version of Halloween II 1978, more of the night he came home. Even had a clip from the 1981 movie they ignored in 2018. I've spent hours counting all the Easter eggs. I want a sweep from Chestnut south to the bypass. Halloween II quote. The toast to "Brian" (in my mind, Andrews, original Tommy). Halloween 4 mob as was said. Halloween 5 pitchfork. Halloween III Silver Shamrock masks. Even a throw away line about the RZ remake about pulling wings off butterflies from the cop in 1978. Even went as far as to call it "Michael's true curse". The one gay dude, "Big John" reminded me of the guy driving the coroners van's in RZH2.

Bringing a non CGI Loomis was great. Marion got a much harsher death scene than she did in H20. One of my few problems with this movie was Tommy. I liked him up until the mob scene at the end. I mean come on, he himself said "You can't kill the Boogeyman" and he just leaves him in one piece to rise up and annihilate them all? Is he really that stupid? I knew going in this would be a cliffhanger, but didn't see that last death coming (Rachel Carruthers in H5 anyone?) So now it's Michael, Laurie, Allyson, Frank, Lindsey, the sheriff and some stragglers for Halloween Ends. I enjoyed the meta humor.
"Michael Myers is in our car, go check it out!" "Oh hell no!" LOL and the old guy after finding a man with a monster mask in his house "Who gives a shit? Call the cops!" Hilarious.

I wasn't much a fan of the obnoxious kids in 1978 or 2018 and I definitely disliked how they made Mr. Tivoli a red herring. Over all, I thoroughly enjoyed it more than 5-8 and Rob's two crap movies. Which, I know isn't saying much but still.... Can't wait to see how it ends, pun intended, although I have a pretty good idea how it will go down. Can't wait til next year!
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

I was quite surprised the Loomis was a make-up FX job and not a really good deepfake. That was impressive.