Candyman 2021 (possible spoilers)

This is where you post your review to be posted on the main site. Reviews will screened for relevance and spelling before it is posted to the main site.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Candyman 2021 (possible spoilers)

Post by Tiggnutz »

After having an hour to sit and think about what I had just watched things came a little better into focus. There's a lot to like and a lot that just doesn't work for me. Things I didn't like. I expect social commentary to be at the forefront of a Candyman film. Candyman is essentially about racism and gentrification but this was absolutely too heavy handed. Hard not to notice what all Candyman's victims have in common and that totally changes the whole Candyman lore for me.There are plot points that go nowhere or are just abandoned.Things I liked. Nia DaCosta does a fantastic job directing this. This is beautifully shot.The cinematography and art direction are top notch as is the score. Final thoughts. You can make a strong statement on social issues without making it so overt. It just detracts from the film for me. Every white person is a piece of shit. Every cop is a murderous psychopath and they are conveniently also all white. Candyman 2021 gets a C+. Its not scary since Candyman now is more of an antihero than a villain. The grade mostly comes from how beautiful the film is and I would recommend seeing it in a theater.
Jason
Administrator

Re: Candyman 2021 (possible spoilers)

Post by Jason »

Jordan Peele is a pretty racist guy now. So you can expect just about every project he's involved in to be anti-white people.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

I really liked it. Yeah, there is wokeness abound, but I also grew up in the 80s where almost every black dude in horror had a switchblade knife and said "motherfucker". Lol. Thats how I'm looking at it. I won't judge those 80s movies too harsh like I won't judge this one too harsh.

But yeah, I liked the use of the shadowy paper dolls during flashbacks to tell the history. That might not be original, but it was very well done and gave me Burton vibes for some reason. I thought the cinematography was awesome. Acting was superb. Wokeness aint gonna ruin it for me. I get what Tiggster was saying.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

I thought it was shit. Looked like shit, masqueraded as shit, talked like shit... sooner or later you just call it like it is.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

Reign in Blood wrote:I thought it was shit. Looked like shit, masqueraded as shit, talked like shit... sooner or later you just call it like it is.
That is what is so beautiful about America. You are free to have the wrong opinion. :P
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

I picture Reign throwing a half eaten bucket of popcorn at the movie screen as he exits the theater first :lol:
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Knowing Reign, he probably streamed this pile of hot garbage for free from an illegal site rather than waste 20 bucks at the theater.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

Jason wrote:Knowing Reign, he probably streamed this pile of hot garbage for free from an illegal site rather than waste 20 bucks at the theater.
$7.50 for me at the drive in. It was awesome weather. There was a storm rolling in that just missed us. There was lightning. It was magical. When we were leaving, the road and everything around it was soaked. That is how close we were to being rained on. It definitely helped with the atmosphere.

Even if the movie was shit (it wasn't imo), it was one of the coolest movie experiences I've ever had. We hope to go one more time before it gets too cold. October would be bitchin'
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Jason wrote:Knowing Reign, he probably streamed this pile of hot garbage for free from an illegal site rather than waste 20 bucks at the theater.
You're god damn right.

Everybody throw up your C grades high, like some proud parent of crapolas. Me, I'm kicking this kid straight the fuck out until they get their god damn GED or does something worth a piss.

Who's on deck? Shang Wang? Tranny Bond? Black Widow sues 84? Woken feeble grandmother beating down Mikey Myers again? Bring it in, it's all fucking quality.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Jmac Attack wrote:
$7.50 for me at the drive in. It was awesome weather. There was a storm rolling in that just missed us. There was lightning. It was magical. When we were leaving, the road and everything around it was soaked. That is how close we were to being rained on. It definitely helped with the atmosphere.

Even if the movie was shit (it wasn't imo), it was one of the coolest movie experiences I've ever had. We hope to go one more time before it gets too cold. October would be bitchin'
I live in a desert. We've probably gone over a year straight without a cloud in the sky and no drive ins nearby either. The weather here is ass. Would love a decent drive in experience.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Reign in Blood wrote:
You're god damn right.

Everybody throw up your C grades high, like some proud parent of crapolas. Me, I'm kicking this kid straight the fuck out until they get their god damn GED or does something worth a piss.

Who's on deck? Shang Wang? Tranny Bond? Black Widow sues 84? Woken feeble grandmother beating down Mikey Myers again? Bring it in, it's all fucking quality.
The Night House is actually worth a viewing. Definitely better than the Candyass remake.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

there were three writers on this movie, and i think it shows. it really feels like they tried to force together different visions for the film. just chopped them up and stitched them back together in some kind of way. so narrative-ly, it is kind of unsatisfying heavy handed and muddled at the same time, but visually it is fucking awesome. :P
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

I definitely felt the ending was a bit rough and rushed. I also didn't care at all for the body horror elements.

I don't think the film was terrible, but it was definitely below average. I was personally hoping for a bit more.

Pretty good kills though (loved the one at the prep school, and who doesn't like seeing cops massacred?).

Gave the film a 6.5/10.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Wokeness gets a maximum 1.5/10 from me. And I haven't even seen the Candyman remake.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

You can rate wokeness if you want to, but alas, I don't think you can rate this movie yet. :P
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

I forgot this came out lol. I liked it decently enough at the time, but clearly didn't stick to the ribs. I do remember liking it much more than the sequels, but admittedly I need to rewatch Farewell to the Flesh.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Jigsaw wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:09 pm (and who doesn't like seeing cops massacred?).
When they're the only ones standing between you and those who wish to do you ill and take all your shit. Me, I'd relish a world without cops, my retirement plan would be setup in a week. But I think a lot of you regressives wishing for it are gonna be in for a rude awakening.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:43 pm Wokeness gets a maximum 1.5/10 from me. And I haven't even seen the Candyman remake.
woke can mean whatever you want it to mean. so that's pretty rough. :P