Suggestions...obviously

How can we improve the board?
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Suggestions...obviously

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

Most of this shit is probably already on the agenda, but I'm throwing it out there anyway, because it's nice to have an actual list of shit to do.

Make a "Mark forums read" button on the "View new posts" and "View unread posts" pages.

Find a way to add themes, or at least change the shit white one that it comes with. I'm using an extension to change it, but not everyone's going to use that shit. Better, but needs improvement. - A work in progress, but looking better.

Adjust the size of the avatar/name box. It's fucking huge, taking up almost a quarter of the screen @1080p.

And a link to "View unread posts" and "View new posts" on pages other than the index. Possibly just add it as part of the header that's on every page?

Change the color of the PM notification if it's greater than 0. Maybe red or something so it stands out that you got a message.

Done

Get rid of the damn "load screen" after posting.

Switch sides of the avatar/post. Somehow got moved back to the right....done again.

Put names above avatars. Sure, we all can tell who's posting by the avatar for the regulars, but it'd be nice to have the name be the first thing you see.

Get rid of the giant phpBB logo up top, replace with banner/s.

Also on the subject of ranks, the Admin board is visible to everyone(or at least, I can see it and I'm just a random fucker). I don't know if this was intended, but generally, an admin board should only be seen by admin. - Intended

Add more subforums to the Horror section. Right now there's no place for movies that are out, that aren't classics or a franchise(e.g. The Void, Attack of the Killer Donuts, Don't Fuck in the Woods, etc.)

Not all bbcode seems to work. Don't know if you can add anything like that, but I tried to strikeout some of the shit above to denote it was done, but the tag doesn't work. - Most normal stuff seems to work now.

Figure out the "ranks". Right now all the admin are listed as charter members when they should be either admin or mods. Also, if you want to actually make something of the site, you might consider making charter mean something other than "hey, we like you and you've been around awhile."

Add the poll function to Charter Members permissions.
Last edited by Slaughterhouserock on Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 14 times in total.
showa58taro
Administrator

Re: Suggestions...obviously

Post by showa58taro »

Can you click on any of the Admin threads etc? Or is that out for you?
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Otherwise a solid you do list which we definitely want to fix in their entirety.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

showa58taro wrote:Can you click on any of the Admin threads etc? Or is that out for you?

Yup, can read them like any other thread. No option to post, though.

Another suggestion, have it take you back to the thread you're posting in after posting instead of adding the extra step of clicking another link to go back.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

May have to check, I thought I set all the admin threads to be post for Admin only, read-only for charter, and then nothing for generic users.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Slaughterhouserock wrote:
showa58taro wrote:Can you click on any of the Admin threads etc? Or is that out for you?

Yup, can read them like any other thread. No option to post, though.

Another suggestion, have it take you back to the thread you're posting in after posting instead of adding the extra step of clicking another link to go back.
I keep trying to figure this one out, as it bugs me. It actually, if you wait a few seconds, takes you from that warning screen TO the thread you were just in. Just odd to have that interim step at all...
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Any others you think we should have, Slaughter? Or anyone else for that matter. added at least 3 more general categories. am not averse to others, but conscious that we reached a point last time where there was simply dozens upon dozens of groups, most with very few posts.

Also, there's no end to nesting, technically I can add sub-forums within the sub-forums allowing the "Major franchises" to also have a F13, NOES type section if there was felt enough ones cover that stuff.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

could one of you move the music fiend thread to the music section? i messed it up before, so i'm wary of trying again. :P
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

zombie wrote:could one of you move the music fiend thread to the music section? i messed it up before, so i'm wary of trying again. :P
I'll try tonight.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

showa58taro wrote:May have to check, I thought I set all the admin threads to be post for Admin only, read-only for charter, and then nothing for generic users.
Yeah, it's read-only, but I wasn't sure if you wanted that or not. Good to know.
showa58taro wrote:I keep trying to figure this one out, as it bugs me. It actually, if you wait a few seconds, takes you from that warning screen TO the thread you were just in. Just odd to have that interim step at all...
Weird. I'm impatient, so I just clicked it and didn't notice the re-direct.
showa58taro wrote:Any others you think we should have, Slaughter? Or anyone else for that matter. added at least 3 more general categories. am not averse to others, but conscious that we reached a point last time where there was simply dozens upon dozens of groups, most with very few posts.

Also, there's no end to nesting, technically I can add sub-forums within the sub-forums allowing the "Major franchises" to also have a F13, NOES type section if there was felt enough ones cover that stuff.
I think it's fine. The more sub-categories, the more bitching you have about what fits that category. Plus, fewer sub-forums makes fewer posts seem like more than they are.

I'd say save the nesting for if/when things get more full and there's actual demand for it.
God
Site Admin

Post by God »

zombie wrote:could one of you move the music fiend thread to the music section? i messed it up before, so i'm wary of trying again. :P
Done. Just always make sure to uncheck leave shadow topic. Why forums have that as a default I'll never fucking know. I'm moving it for a reason, no need to have it in two places you idiots!
God
Site Admin

Post by God »

All good suggestions my man, Slaughter. Some I hope we are not stuck with. One of the first things I went on the hunt for was switching the avatars from right to left as it bugged the shit out of me too, but have not seen any easy setting option for that, bastards.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Reign in Blood wrote:All good suggestions my man, Slaughter. Some I hope we are not stuck with. One of the first things I went on the hunt for was switching the avatars from right to left as it bugged the shit out of me too, but have not seen any easy setting option for that, bastards.
I have a cript for that saved. If I now have the load settings page I may be able to swap all alignments as needed. Just assuming I have the load settings config and access to the files we need. Same with banners and color schemes as a start.
God
Site Admin

Post by God »

Not sure what you just said but it sounds pretty good to me. :D
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Reign in Blood wrote:Not sure what you just said but it sounds pretty good to me. :D
I should have time tonight to see if I can at least do a few basics. Sounds like my R training is useful already.
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

Could we add an HMF Radio sub thread?
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Reign in Blood wrote:All good suggestions my man, Slaughter. Some I hope we are not stuck with. One of the first things I went on the hunt for was switching the avatars from right to left as it bugged the shit out of me too, but have not seen any easy setting option for that, bastards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLFfXTwdVbY&t=49s

showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Put the bunny back in the box
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Added a few more and marked off the shit that's done.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Slaughterhouserock wrote:Put names above avatars.
That was bugging me, too. I asked about in the admin section; see if I should move it.

I'm moving it now. :p