Black Christmas (1974) Group Session (Saturday, 04-18-2020)

Where we all gather to watch a film together

Rate Black Christmas (1974)

60%
40%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 5

zombie
Administrator

Re: Black Christmas (1974) Group Session (Saturday, 04-18-20

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:to me, the power of the film is the mystery of the killer and allowing him to live on, not wrapping everything up in the end. but fair enough.

jess survived everything we saw in the film, on her own accord. the same can not be said of some other great, more highly regarded final girls.
You like girls, Billy doesn't. :p
:P i'll still acknowledge where i see a girl not making it out of the movie. like sarah in the descent (until the sequel. :P)
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

zombie wrote:to me, the power of the film is the mystery of the killer and allowing him to live on, not wrapping everything up in the end. but fair enough.

jess survived everything we saw in the film, on her own accord. the same can not be said of some other great, more highly regarded final girls.
I don't care about wrapping everything up, I was just pointing out that Jess died and explaining why there shouldn't be any doubt behind that fact.

Also, not debating that. She was great. Even tried to pull the hero card at the end by going to find her friends instead of saving herself. It almost worked out, but she got caught up in the narrative the police put in her head, so she ended up killing her ex, which led to her off-screen death. One mistake fucked her in the end, and it's all that idiot cop's fault.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Slaughterhouserock wrote:

I don't care about wrapping everything up, I was just pointing out that Jess died and explaining why there shouldn't be any doubt behind that fact.

Also, not debating that. She was great. Even tried to pull the hero card at the end by going to find her friends instead of saving herself. It almost worked out, but she got caught up in the narrative the police put in her head, so she ended up killing her ex, which led to her off-screen death. One mistake fucked her in the end, and it's all that idiot cop's fault.
apparently i was mistaken about her fate, during the credits. still, everything we saw onscreen was her saving herself. draw from that what you want.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Wait, is zombs and slaughter throwing down over my movie up in here? I need to get snacks!
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

now that you're here, you can join in my cause of making jason compile a top 100 horror films, and see where he ranks black christmas in comparison to friday the 13th 4! :P
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

zombie wrote:now that you're here, you can join in my cause of making jason compile a top 100 horror films, and see where he ranks black christmas in comparison to friday the 13th 4! :P
He needs to do that anyways and stop being a candy ass! All day, no gym going candy ass.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

If China wasn't a bunch of asshats I would've received my Black Christmas blu ray a week ago and be reviewing it on the blu ray right now. As it is, it's not expected to ship for another two weeks at least.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

how did you watch last night? watch it again, that way? or it's on tubitv too (with ads)
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i'm reading on imdb that the studio wanted bob clark to be more definitive about jess's fate. (including potentially revealing clare's boyfriend to be "billy" before he kills jess) and he opted for the ending we got. though there is no source given.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

The old DVD. Would've liked to have seen the blu ray transfer from Shout Factory.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

zombie wrote:i'm reading on imdb that the studio wanted bob clark to be more definitive about jess's fate. (including potentially revealing clare's boyfriend to be "billy" before he kills jess) and he opted for the ending we got. though there is no source given.
Clark has said they wanted the ending to be the boyfriend turning to her and calling her Agnes. He thought it was shit, and was able to keep it as is. I'm pretty sure it's mentioned in that short tv documentary about the film.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:The old DVD. Would've liked to have seen the blu ray transfer from Shout Factory.
have a library card? it's possible you can watch it online, with kanopy and it says its from shout factory.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

zombie wrote:i'm reading on imdb that the studio wanted bob clark to be more definitive about jess's fate. (including potentially revealing clare's boyfriend to be "billy" before he kills jess) and he opted for the ending we got. though there is no source given.
Clark has said they wanted the ending to be the boyfriend turning to her and calling her Agnes. He thought it was shit, and was able to keep it as is. I'm pretty sure it's mentioned in that short tv documentary about the film.
so he opted not to have a definitive death, but then complained, at some point, that the studio didn't like jess being "left for dead" because she survived everything else. weird. :P
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

zombie wrote:so he opted not to have a definitive death, but then complained, at some point, that the studio didn't like jess being "left for dead" because she survived everything else. weird. :P
It had nothing to do with her dying. It was about giving Billy an identity. Billy was intentionally left unknown from the start, but after they saw it, the studio wanted a "clean" ending with the killer being identified. Luckily, he was able to talk them out of it, because the original ending is so much better than that crap.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

zombie wrote:so he opted not to have a definitive death, but then complained, at some point, that the studio didn't like jess being "left for dead" because she survived everything else. weird. :P
It had nothing to do with her dying. It was about giving Billy an identity. Billy was intentionally left unknown from the start, but after they saw it, the studio wanted a "clean" ending with the killer being identified. Luckily, he was able to talk them out of it, because the original ending is so much better than that crap.
agreed, it's much better that we didn't learn the identity of the killer. they specifically wanted an onscreen definitive death, along with the reveal. he didn't. and we got what we got.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

I'm not gonna watch from beginning to end. I'll fast forward to key plot points and shit. I'm thinking about watching The Exorcist tonight. Even for those who don't find it the least bit creepy, the acting and directing is phenomenal.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:I'm not gonna watch from beginning to end. I'll fast forward to key plot points and shit. I'm thinking about watching The Exorcist tonight. Even for those who don't find it the least bit creepy, the acting and directing is phenomenal.
so just watch online somewhere. that's a waste of a new transfer. :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

By the time my blu ray shows up I'll probably be in the mood to watch Black Christmas again anyway. :p
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

in the meantime, you can watch the two remakes. :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

I saw the older one. No thanks.