Top 10 Horror Remakes

Anything that doesn't fit into the above categories.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Re: Top 10 Horror Remakes

Post by Jigsaw »

I counted Carrie (2002), which is the same case as It.

In my view, it's an adaptation of source material (a novel), and the 2017 It is another adaptation of the source material, NOT a remake of the 1990 version. Same with Poe-related movies. Or Stoker's Dracula.

That said, I counted the 2002 Carrie, despite it being a re-adaptation, so I'd say the 2017 It is fine, but not the 1990 version.

Hopefully I answered the right question. :P
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i don't have a problem with a tv movie remake, or a remake from a tv movie.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Jigsaw wrote:I counted Carrie (2002), which is the same case as It.

In my view, it's an adaptation of source material (a novel), and the 2017 It is another adaptation of the source material, NOT a remake of the 1990 version. Same with Poe-related movies. Or Stoker's Dracula.

That said, I counted the 2002 Carrie, despite it being a re-adaptation, so I'd say the 2017 It is fine, but not the 1990 version.

Yeah, but I mentioned I wasn't going to focus on Readaption vs. Remake vs. Reboot stuff, that gets too so messy I'd rather have a simple list. You putting both Carrie and Shining on yours only further reminded me no one touched on It yet.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:

Yeah, but I mentioned I wasn't going to focus on Readaption vs. Remake vs. Reboot stuff, that gets too so messy I'd rather have a simple list. You putting both Carrie and Shining on yours only further reminded me no one touched on It yet.
I apologize if I'm being thick, but what's the difference between Carrie and It?
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jigsaw wrote:

I apologize if I'm being thick, but what's the difference between Carrie and It?
nothing different, unless you get into splitting hairs. he was more getting at you over-explaining and getting into sticky territory. readaptation vs. remake. and such.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jigsaw wrote:

TV version came first with It? I'm not sure why you're asking the difference, there's lots of differences :P
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

zombie wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:

nothing different, unless you get into splitting hairs. he was more getting at you over-explaining and getting into sticky territory. readaptation vs. remake. and such.
I thought that was the question, which is why I was explaining my view. I wasn't meaning to over-explain.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Jigsaw wrote:

TV version came first with It? I'm not sure why you're asking the difference, there's lots of differences :P
To me, both are based off King source novels. One was a television mini-series, and the other was a 1976 movie, but I guess I don't see how that makes a difference into adaptations that came later (It (2017) and Carrie (2002 and 2013).
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jigsaw wrote:
zombie wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:

I thought that was the question, which is why I was explaining my view. I wasn't meaning to over-explain.
no. he initially was asking about his own addition of it. that's all. he wasn't looking for a ruling on your list at all.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Mind = Blown. I didn't think twice about people including Carrie and the Shining, but IT pumps the brakes. Why, D? Why?!
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

zombie wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:
zombie wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:

no. he initially was asking about his own addition of it. that's all. he wasn't looking for a ruling on your list at all.
I wasn't ruling on my list. I was using something I see similar from my list as an example to explain my thoughts. I answered the question I thought was being asked using an example. No intentional 'over-explaining' or 'ruling on my list,' just answering a question I thought was being asked.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jigsaw wrote:
zombie wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:
zombie wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:

I wasn't ruling on my list. I was using something I see similar from my list as an example to explain my thoughts. I answered the question I thought was being asked using an example. No intentional 'over-explaining' or 'ruling on my list,' just answering a question I thought was being asked.
fair enough, then. remakes (or re-adaptations, reboots. whatever) are all fair, regardless of whether they came from a tv movie or were tv movies themselves. done. :P
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

This don't make no god damn sense. Jig, if IT counts, why isn't it on your fucking list?
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Reign in Blood wrote:This don't make no god damn sense. Jig, if IT counts, why isn't it on your fucking list?
I almost don't want to answer, but I will.

It (2017) is a great movie, but It: Chapter 2 felt more average. I'm trying to mentally combine both films' ratings, and judge then if the combined It/It: Chapter 2 would fit in my top ten, and it doesn't.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Jigsaw wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:This don't make no god damn sense. Jig, if IT counts, why isn't it on your fucking list?

It (2017) is a great movie, but It: Chapter 2 felt more average. I'm trying to mentally combine both films' ratings, and judge then if the combined It/It: Chapter 2 would fit in my top ten, and it doesn't.
If just chap 1 is a "great" movie, it's on your fucking list. But it's also your favorite book, and they did a lot of things well and it has repeat value. And this is a fucking remake list, do you like remakes all of the sudden?
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jigsaw wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:

To me, both are based off King source novels. One was a television mini-series, and the other was a 1976 movie, but I guess I don't see how that makes a difference into adaptations that came later (It (2017) and Carrie (2002 and 2013).
My point was does medium matter in this? It sounds like everyone's cool with including TV versions (whether they came first or after) so it's all good.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Reign in Blood wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:

If just chap 1 is a "great" movie, it's on your fucking list. But it's also your favorite book, and they did a lot of things well and it has repeat value. And this is a fucking remake list, do you like remakes all of the sudden?
And the first one was filmed as a solo movie, unsure it would even be successful to do the rest of the book. The first movie surprisingly works very well by itself.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:

If I may say this, and then sit back and relax, I do like all the ten movies on my list. But there's not one movie on my list that I think is better than the original in question, if that makes sense.

It (2017) and Chapter 2 is complicated to me, which is partially why I left it out. I certainly didn't do it to offend anyone. :P
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Jigsaw wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:

My point was does medium matter in this? It sounds like everyone's cool with including TV versions (whether they came first or after) so it's all good.
I didn't say that!! For reals, this makes IT #2 for me so is kind a big deal. You guys need to take this shit seriously, got too many hip shooters up in here. :shock:
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Jigsaw wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:

My apologies for misunderstanding your question.