Top 10 Horror Remakes

Anything that doesn't fit into the above categories.
Jason
Administrator

Re: Top 10 Horror Remakes

Post by Jason »

Reign in Blood wrote:Truth be told, by the time you get to the back nine, you're just looking to bogey.
Triple bogey with your #1.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

It ain't my #1 and everyone knows it.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Fooled me.

Make a real list.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:Fooled me.

Make a real list.
good advice for everyone in this thread.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

The two black marks on Vince Vaughn's career were being in Psycho, and that strange Frank character from True Detective with the rat monologues and the don't eat because you're hungry goofiness. I'm not even bothered by whatever shitty comedies he's been thrown into in the past decade, he should try to find better projects though.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

cellblock 99 and dragged across concrete were really good. hope he does more with the director. more dramatic, serious roles from vaughn would be great.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Do remakes-in-name-only, such as How to Make a Monster (2001) and House of Wax (2005) count?
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i would say they probably count. as well as remakes of films with different titles.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Through my process, I was reminded of the ultimate failure that was Dead Space (1991), a remake of Forbidden Planet (1982).

Somewhat fun fact - I had no idea Dead Space was a remake, and watched it the same day I first saw Forbidden Planet. As I'm watching, it hit me that I've seen this exact story earlier that day. The only interesting thing about Dead Space, all-in-all, was a young Bryan Cranston.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

the only horror example i can think of is the uninvited, which is a remake of a tale of two sisters. much like your take on deadspace, it's also terrible. and on top of which, there is also another korean film (tale of two sisters is korean as well) called the uninvited, so the remake is doubly bad. :P
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

I've seen A Tale of Two Sisters only once, and I don't know if it was the movie or my mood, but I felt horribly confused by it. I'm hoping that clears up when I next see it, because I'd very much like to give it a higher rating than a 5/10.

I've not seen The Uninvited, but I remember the trailers from years back. Looked to me to be typical Hollywood trash. Looks like I wasn't far off. :P
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

a tale of two sisters is pretty twisty. so if you're not into that, or it was too much for you. that's fair. i ate it up, personally.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

zombie wrote:a tale of two sisters is pretty twisty. so if you're not into that, or it was too much for you. that's fair. i ate it up, personally.
I was also 13 at the time (or thereabouts), so I'm hoping that now, I should be able to follow it better. Still, if all else fails, I have the Uninvited.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jigsaw wrote:
zombie wrote:a tale of two sisters is pretty twisty. so if you're not into that, or it was too much for you. that's fair. i ate it up, personally.
I was also 13 at the time (or thereabouts), so I'm hoping that now, I should be able to follow it better. Still, if all else fails, I have the Uninvited.
please don't watch the remake before giving an update watch for a tale of two sisters! :P
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

1. Dawn of the Dead (2004)
2. The Shining (1997)
3. Mahakaal (1994)
4. Carrie (2002)
5. Night of the Demons (2009)
6. House of Wax (2005)
7. How to Make a Monster (2001)
8. The Hills Have Eyes (2006)
9. The Bat (1959)
10. The Blob (1988)

A bit rough, but it works for me.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Can I get a ruling on the TV Remake bit (doesn't matter which came first)?

And it seems everyone's cool if we haven't seen the original to count, so I'll go edit the Masque of the Red Death in...

Edit: Looks like 1964's Red Death is the first film version, lol. So nevermind on that :P
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Can I get a ruling on the TV Remake bit (doesn't matter which came first)?

And it seems everyone's cool if we haven't seen the original to count, so I'll go edit the Masque of the Red Death in...
I'm a bit confused. Do you mean a movie like I Saw What You Did (1988), which was originally a William Castle movie from the 1960's and remade as a made-for-television movie?
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jigsaw wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Can I get a ruling on the TV Remake bit (doesn't matter which came first)?

I'm a bit confused. Do you mean a movie like I Saw What You Did (1988), which was originally a William Castle movie from the 1960's and remade as a made-for-television movie?
Nada, the Roger Corman 1964 Masque of the Red Death with Vincent Price. As I edited above, turns out it's the first film adaption of the story. *shrug* I thought like other Edgar Alan Poe works it was already adapted to death by then :p
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Fuck all that, is nobody gonna talk about the elephant in the room and give a ruling on IT?
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Reign in Blood wrote:Fuck all that, is nobody gonna talk about the elephant in the room and give a ruling on IT?
Exactly lol