Top 10 Horror Remakes

Anything that doesn't fit into the above categories.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Top 10 Horror Remakes

Post by Headhunter »

Folks, we are back to list-ing and tournament-ing on HMF. I plan to ramp up the tournaments and such in the next few months and I thought this would be a cool, unique one to get our juices flowing.

No drawn out process with this, just gonna compile everyone's top 10 lists and create an "HMF Consensus".
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Jason
Administrator

Re: Top 10 Horror Remakes

Post by Jason »

F13 remake will probably make mine.

This'll basically be a tournament for 2nd best horror remake behind The Thing (1982).
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Jason wrote:F13 remake will probably make mine.

This'll basically be a tournament for 2nd best horror remake behind The Thing (1982).
For sure. And as I remember, The Thing made the Final Four of our Horror Movie Tournament years ago.

I'm interesting in seeing how people round out their top 10s. I'm sure The Fly and The Blob will be up there for most.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

As mentioned in today's chat, still gotta see The Blob.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

The big mystery surrounding this tournament is whether or not Jiggy will delete his HMF account.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

1. the fly
2. the blob
3, cat people
4. dawn of the dead
5. the ring
6. the hills have eyes
7. let me in
8. invasion of the body snatchers
9. the thing
10. my bloody valentine
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

The Ring better than The Thing? :o
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

as has been made clear, time and time again, i have the worst taste in films of all of hmf. :P
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

I'm counting film readaptions because splitting hairs are going to be too much of a bitch

1. The Thing (1982)
2. The Fly (1986)
3. Cat People (1982)
4. It (2017) (since people seem to count the tv miniseries as an actual movie, I'll put a reserve in case it's disqualified as a 'remake')
5. Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
6. The Wolfman (2010)
7. Sleepy Hollow
8. Night of the Living Dead (1990)
9. The Blob (1988)
10. Pirahna 3D (2010)

Reserve: The Hills Have Eyes (2006)
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

1. The Thing
2. Evil Dead
3. Dawn of the Dead
4. The Blob
5. The Hills Have Eyes
6. The Crazies
7. Night of the Living Dead
8. Let Me IN
9. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
10. The Woman in Black
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

I Spit on Your Grave was really good. Night of the Demons ain't bad. It was pretty fun.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Jason wrote:The big mystery surrounding this tournament is whether or not Jiggy will delete his HMF account.
Couldn't find the delete button, so I guess I'm staying.

At least until October's over ;)
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Are we all agreed, on a side-note, that for a remake to make this list, you HAVE to have seen the original? Seems like it would go without saying, but I wanted to clarify.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Depends on how you're viewing the remake. As a movie in general, or as a movie compared to the original?
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Jason wrote:Depends on how you're viewing the remake. As a movie in general, or as a movie compared to the original?
How can a movie be a 'top remake' if you can't compare it to the original?
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

I'm working on my list right now, by the way. Not just here to be annoying. :P
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jigsaw wrote:Are we all agreed, on a side-note, that for a remake to make this list, you HAVE to have seen the original? Seems like it would go without saying, but I wanted to clarify.
why do you have to have seen the original? we're not comparing them to the earlier films, in this thread.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

zombie wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:Are we all agreed, on a side-note, that for a remake to make this list, you HAVE to have seen the original? Seems like it would go without saying, but I wanted to clarify.
why do you have to have seen the original? we're not comparing them to the earlier films, in this thread.
So it doesn't matter if it's a good remake, it matters if it's a good movie? It just seems to me that without any point of reference, unless someone's seen the original Fly, how could they rank how good a remake it is?

I guess I'm just confused about what we're looking for.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jigsaw wrote:
zombie wrote:
So it doesn't matter if it's a good remake, it matters if it's a good movie? It just seems to me that without any point of reference, unless someone's seen the original Fly, how could they rank how good a remake it is?

so, to say something is your favorite 80s movie, do you have to have seen every 80s movie? or to say something is your favorite horror film, do you have to have seen every horror movie?
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

zombie wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:
zombie wrote:

so, to say something is your favorite 80s movie, do you have to have seen every 80s movie? or to say something is your favorite horror film, do you have to have seen every horror movie?
Doesn't strike me as the same thing at all unless I'm not understanding something.

If [Insert movie here] is a good movie, that stands alone, but if it's a good remake, than that's directly related to one's views on the original. Cape Fear (1991) might be a good movie, but unless someone's seen the original 1961 movie, how could they call it a good remake?