IT Chapter 2 ( THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!!!)

This is where you post your review to be posted on the main site. Reviews will screened for relevance and spelling before it is posted to the main site.
showa58taro
Administrator

Re: IT Chapter 2 ( THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!!!)

Post by showa58taro »

Tiggnutz wrote:
showa58taro wrote:The song felt like it was added after a test audience screening. I think had it been in the movie (like he knocks over a radio) it’s be more amusing.
Why would you want anything amusing in that scene?
I quite like the rollercoaster it takes you on. I think the Leper in particular had played out in the first film. I get bringing him back but I thought it was a known, so levity twisted that scene for me. But it did feel abrupt.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Hopefully the more I watch the more I will like it but the more I think about it :x with the shitty CGI it's almost like the Goosebumps movie with more scattered direction.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

I think the CGI is the weak spot. Particularly in daylight.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

So I feel like this one has had a pretty good consensus on what we all liked and disliked, just to what degree. So I'll just shoot with the killer, the fucking CGI in spots. And it wasn't lack of budget, I think it was lack of time or giving a shit about certain set pieces, notably Bev's winter fire. Plenty of it they did fine on, the Thing homage etc. Even the Paul Bunyan scene I thought was fine, cgi was the only way they were gonna do it and they put some work into it. I thought the adult cast did well except for the two stars. Chastain I was indifferent, but McAvoy as Bill will always feel a miscast, not that he was bad. All in all it delivered what you'd envision for a Hollywood studio version of things, good direction, camerawork, grandiose music, just cinematic on all levels. But I'll still prefer certain things from the OG, I thought in this one they got to Derry/Chinese joint way too quick. I like the eeriness of them all stepping foot back into town for the first time again, and they ruined the fortune cookie scene here. There's plenty to be said about the shitty spider in the first, but I don't know if going to the well on the Penny-spider-crab again was the answer. And too many "face" scares, of course compounded by the shitty cgi in many of them. Oh yeah, and Muschietti can go fuck himself with that angel in the morning bit, he's gonna regret that one, wasn't cute and will only age worse.

All that said you might think I'm sandbagging it, but not in the slightest. Really enjoyed it, it felt a tad long in the theater but I know it won't at home. I've been stuck in a rut where virtually every new movie I watch is merely "alright", but both IT chapters had massive expectations to fill and I walked away with a smile, impressed with a number of things, and knowing full well I am going to enjoy mixing and matching this with the TV movie. Watching this also gave me a feeling of what people in 88 might have felt like watching NOES Part 4 in theaters, watching one of your favorite toys get all purtied up with that hollywood shine.

Still don't get that they're too prude for the gangbang train after all the... shenanigans, but whatevs! Mazel tov! Stan's letter was also lame.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Eh, since the movie's budget was only 65 million, I'd say that is at least a factor in lackluster CGI. But yeah, timing too. Hire on more artists to fix stuff to made the deadline! This one was moreso getting pushed to hit the deadline because they weren't sure they were even going to do the second half of the story until early buzz the week of release of the first film.

It's funny, we give fake puppets a pass because it's at least real and on-camera and actors can still react, but bad cgi...pretty unforgiving lol.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

I backaway from budget, because 65 million is still nothing to sniff at, and like you said, the heat was on for this one for a number of reasons. How many people watched that Bev head scene over and over knowing it was ass from minute one? Not giving a shit played into some of these scenes.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Well yes, them not giving a shit is why they didn't pump more in the budget to fix it :P

WB has been known to rush shit out the door without regard of how the FX hold up as long as it hits the release date. Justice League is a prime example of the last big one like that.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

There’s a big part that would’ve enjoyed the old lady witch being practical. Feel like that could’ve been achieved on some level. But there e go.

And the fire-head scene was bad to me for sure. Though in the cinema it had a few people scared and afraid by the look of it. Always amusing.