IT Chapter 2 ( THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!!!)

This is where you post your review to be posted on the main site. Reviews will screened for relevance and spelling before it is posted to the main site.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

IT Chapter 2 ( THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!!!)

Post by Tiggnutz »

Can a movie feel both rushed and painfully long at the same time? The answer is yes and if I could best describe IT chapter 2 that's how I would do it. First things I liked. Bill Hader Bill Hader Bill Hader! Bill Hader is wonderful he is perfectly cast and I never thought for a second that he wasn't an older Richie Tozier. Perfect casting. The carnival/Adrian Mellon scene and the Bleacher/Vicki scene were extremely effective and we're my favorites of the film. James Ranson was very good as an older Eddie and Teach Grant was also very good as an older Henry Bowers who should of had a bigger part in the movie. Bill Skarsgard is outstanding as Pennywise the clown but tragically underused and when he is used it's the subpar CGI that steals from his creepy performance. Things I didn't like. The CGI is inexcusable it's terrible like terrible to the point it looks silly. It's way way too long with no benefit of being so long this extra time isn't for storytelling or character building because there is barely any of either it's just extra time added onto other scenes needlessly. James McAvoy, Jessica Chastain and Jay Ryan just didn't work for me as Bill, Bev and Ben I never felt their connection to the younger actors characters from the first film. I guess Isaiah Mustafa and Andy Bean are adequate for Mike and Stanley if compared to some of the others. I'm glad I just finished reading the book my friend who I saw it with had not and he was understandably confused by shit because it's barely explained and all over the place at times. Horrible flow and pacing I was bored and starting to lose focus more than once. It may sound like I hated this installment but I didn't it's just that I'm baffled and disappointed by the decisions made in the direction of the film that's why I'm going to give IT chapter 2 a grade of C+. There's enough here to be enjoyable but it could of been so much more.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Re: IT Chapter 2 ( THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!!!)

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Yeah, had no problems with adult Ben or Bev, definitely no problems with the length. I was bouncing around from A- to B+ since I watched it Friday, but I think I'm settling on B+.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

I’m a generous God. -A sounds good to me. :)
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

What is the point of making Ritchie gay? It felt more like a it's 2019 someone needs to be gay thing than anything to do with story. Wouldn't it have made more sense for Ritchie to bring it up and not just have it be a memory?
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Tiggnutz wrote:What is the point of making Ritchie gay? It felt more like a it's 2019 someone needs to be gay thing than anything to do with story. Wouldn't it have made more sense for Ritchie to bring it up and not just have it be a memory?
Gives his character more to work with, he actually gets an arc, where even in the book he's just there spouting one liners with a coke problem (that never really gets resolved). Having him gay reels in the bullying homophobic nature that has overtaken Derry that we see demonstrated at the beginning, and showing it goes further back, making Ritchie definitely hide it out of fear. They could've easily just made Eddie gay since he came off more in that direction in the book to me (and miniseries) but...that's were 2019 comes in to me lol, but not in a bad way. It could've been very offensive to the community to kill off BOTH gay characters in the film, so just simply transfer that element (the one who's never married, or can't stay married, makes sense) that lives without changing who dies in the book.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Tiggnutz wrote:What is the point of making Ritchie gay?
Lmao.

So Hollywood can call you a bigot for asking why.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

If one of your fears Pennywise is using against you is being exposed as gay would of made more sense to just come out and do away with that fear. That's just my opinion.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

I did enjoy the homage to The Thing
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Tiggnutz wrote:If one of your fears Pennywise is using against you is being exposed as gay would of made more sense to just come out and do away with that fear. That's just my opinion.
Considering the film does a good job showing what the town can do when they find out (and really, the book too, and I remember Melon being even more flamboyant in the book), it's a pretty legit fear to have, whether it's "your opinion" or not. That was the point of Ritchie's flashback too. He saw himself about to get gang-beaten, and it scarred him. "Well why not come out now?" Well, there's the Melon case at the beginning that brought them all back. He knows what the town will do. It may be 2019 and safer to come out of the closet these days, but in some areas, it can actually still get you killed. Derry is not in California :P
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Tiggnutz wrote:I did enjoy the homage to The Thing
And was Hader's idea to puncuate it with that iconic line lol.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Tiggnutz wrote:What is the point of making Ritchie gay? It felt more like a it's 2019 someone needs to be gay thing than anything to do with story. Wouldn't it have made more sense for Ritchie to bring it up and not just have it be a memory?
I thought it was really interesting as a way of adding to his trauma. And the fact that it ties the opening scene together way more and puts pennywise into a far more sinister light.
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

Didn't bother me at all. It wasn't like they beat us over the head with his gayness. It just added more weight to Eddie's death.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:If one of your fears Pennywise is using against you is being exposed as gay would of made more sense to just come out and do away with that fear. That's just my opinion.
Considering the film does a good job showing what the town can do when they find out (and really, the book too, and I remember Melon being even more flamboyant in the book), it's a pretty legit fear to have, whether it's "your opinion" or not. That was the point of Ritchie's flashback too. He saw himself about to get gang-beaten, and it scarred him. "Well why not come out now?" Well, there's the Melon case at the beginning that brought them all back. He knows what the town will do. It may be 2019 and safer to come out of the closet these days, but in some areas, it can actually still get you killed. Derry is not in California :P
I don't think coming out to his best friends before or after attacking a murderous supernatural creature would of put his life in any more or less danger. Telling them before they went to confront IT might have been the safer move. I'm talking his best friends not other people from Derry.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Monster wrote:Didn't bother me at all. It wasn't like they beat us over the head with his gayness. It just added more weight to Eddie's death.
Also agree here.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

It didn't bother me I just didn't understand it seemed to be something that should of led to something else but it never did. Would of been perfect for him to tell his friends at the quarry but no payoff.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Monster wrote:Didn't bother me at all. It wasn't like they beat us over the head with his gayness. It just added more weight to Eddie's death.
This.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Tiggnutz wrote:It didn't bother me I just didn't understand it seemed to be something that should of led to something else but it never did. Would of been perfect for him to tell his friends at the quarry but no payoff.
I kinda like that he didn't, just let him cry like that about Eddie felt more emotional. Would've been forced (to me) had they had him confess.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

There wasnt really a need to confess. The tears and group hug were way more rewarding.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Just passing through, not here to slam Tigg for his anti-gayness. *whistles*
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Reign in Blood wrote:Just passing through, not here to slam Tigg for his anti-gayness. *whistles*
Beep Beep, Reignie :p