The Irishman

Discussion of all non-horror films. Oscar-nominees, Razzie-winners, we won't judge.
Forum rules
Want people to like you? Try being nice.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Re: The Irishman

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote: You’re right about more people needing to support smaller films. Those people include studio executives, producers and general industry power players. If these people love the art, they have the means to support it. Smaller films are cut off at the knees before the ink is dry, and that’s if they ever see the light of day. Blaming moviegoers when their apathy is a consequence of the industry’s failures, is missing the big picture.
i don't know the machinations of studios. i know that show business is a business. i know that people say that there aren't any original films in theaters. and then the nice guys bombs. and then booksmart bombs. *shrug* i hope that changes. moviegoers can't change the studios, except by supporting films we want to see succeed and making them take notice. we can complain and say it's all their fault, but what does that accomplish?
What is it supposed to accomplish? It’s the truth. Not sure the suits need to be defended.
the suits don't need to be defended. you're right, and i wasn't. the movies we want to see will go away, if we don't support them. if we support them more, we'll get more of them. that's true, regardless of what the suits think of art.
The suits really don’t deserve the pass you’re giving them. They control marketing strategy, when and where to release the films and for how long and essentially every aspect of the film leading up to release. Anything happening regardless of what the suits think is pure fantasy. The majority of moviegoers are casual, you have to make them want to see your movie.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote: You’re right about more people needing to support smaller films. Those people include studio executives, producers and general industry power players. If these people love the art, they have the means to support it. Smaller films are cut off at the knees before the ink is dry, and that’s if they ever see the light of day. Blaming moviegoers when their apathy is a consequence of the industry’s failures, is missing the big picture.
i don't know the machinations of studios. i know that show business is a business. i know that people say that there aren't any original films in theaters. and then the nice guys bombs. and then booksmart bombs. *shrug* i hope that changes. moviegoers can't change the studios, except by supporting films we want to see succeed and making them take notice. we can complain and say it's all their fault, but what does that accomplish?
What is it supposed to accomplish? It’s the truth. Not sure the suits need to be defended.
the suits don't need to be defended. you're right, and i wasn't. the movies we want to see will go away, if we don't support them. if we support them more, we'll get more of them. that's true, regardless of what the suits think of art.
The suits really don’t deserve the pass you’re giving them. They control marketing strategy, when and where to release the films and for how long and essentially every aspect of the film leading up to release. Anything happening regardless of what the suits think is pure fantasy. The majority of moviegoers are casual, you have to make them want to see your movie.
well then all we can do is watch the demise of art and shout into the wind that the suits should do better?

twitter has gotten actors/directors/producers fired from films and sometimes re-hired on films. do you think that twitter could help films get more recognition and success?
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

The studios don't have a clue what they're doing when they can't just ride the action franchise gravy train. They used to make a lot of money through those star vehicles. A-list male + A-list female + whatever stupid little piece of shit story we can get our hands on. This laziness stopped working on audiences, now all they have is brand name shit.

Truth is, if you want the studios to adapt and make the industry friendlier to smaller films, people need to stop seeing these Marvel movies. If that cash cow starts to bleed, they will wake up.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
well then all we can do is watch the demise of art and shout into the wind that the suits should do better?

twitter has gotten actors/directors/producers fired from films and sometimes re-hired on films. do you think that twitter could help films get more recognition and success?
Basically, yes. People can do more at an individual level but we eat the food we're served.

Maybe. Did you see how Netflix successfully promoted Bird Box through Twitter? That had the feel of a theatrical horror release.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:Truth is, if you want the studios to adapt and make the industry friendlier to smaller films, people need to stop seeing these Marvel movies. If that cash cow starts to bleed, they will wake up.
now we're on the same page. we got there. support more original films if you want more of them. support less action tentpole comic book/scifi films if you don't want less of them. the suits will take notice. all they want is money. put your money into the types of films that you want them to produce and release.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:

Basically, yes. People can do more at an individual level but we eat the food we're served.

Maybe. Did you see how Netflix successfully promoted Bird Box through Twitter? That had the feel of a theatrical horror release.
netflix are suits too. keep that in mind. they are making "art", because they can't compete in the big tentpole action arena.

we were served solo. we didn't eat that (enough to make it a success) we have some power. let's figure out what we can do, and then act on it
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:Truth is, if you want the studios to adapt and make the industry friendlier to smaller films, people need to stop seeing these Marvel movies. If that cash cow starts to bleed, they will wake up.
now we're on the same page. we got there. support more original films if you want more of them. support less action tentpole comic book/scifi films if you don't want less of them. the suits will take notice. all they want is money. put your money into the types of films that you want them to produce and release.
My post is illuminating the futility of audience blaming. "Stop seeing Marvel movies" is about as useful as tits on a bull.

Do you hold the suits responsible for anything at all?
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

My problem isn't suits in general, it's dumb dinosaur suits begging for the meteor.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
My post is illuminating the futility of audience blaming. "Stop seeing Marvel movies" is about as useful as tits on a bull.

i don't want people to stop watching marvel movies, if that's what they want to see. i like marvel movies too. :P

i hold the suits responsible for production (or lack of) and for how they market films, and how much of a release they allow for those films. their only interest is money and how much they think they'll get it with any given project.

what would be useful for us to do, as film fans?
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:

i don't want people to stop watching marvel movies, if that's what they want to see. i like marvel movies too. :P

i hold the suits responsible for production (or lack of) and for how they market films, and how much of a release they allow for those films. their only interest is money and how much they think they'll get it with any given project.

what would be useful for us to do, as film fans?
I like most of the Marvel movies. I hate what Star Wars and more recently Marvel have done to the film industry. George Lucas likes to make the argument that he helped the film industry with of all the multiplex theaters that have opened in the past few decades. Ignoring that all these multiplexes do is show 10 of the same movie at a time while everything else has to be made for 5 dollars and gets yanked from theaters if it doesn't immediately turn a profit, when the studios made no effort to put money into promoting it.

The black-and-white bottom line of needing every project to be a hit actually hurts them. There is no room for thinking beyond number projections in those rooms, and people with long term vision is precisely what they need.

Your only responsibility, should you consider it that, is to see movies that interest you and tell people about it. The rest is up to the suits, and it's a lot.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote: I like most of the Marvel movies. I hate what Star Wars and more recently Marvel have done to the film industry. George Lucas likes to make the argument that he helped the film industry with of all the multiplex theaters that have opened in the past few decades. Ignoring that all these multiplexes do is show 10 of the same movie at a time while everything else has to be made for 5 dollars and gets yanked from theaters if it doesn't immediately turn a profit, when the studios made no effort to put money into promoting it.

The black-and-white bottom line of needing every project to be a hit actually hurts them. There is no room for thinking beyond number projections in those rooms, and people with long term vision is precisely what they need.

Your only responsibility, should you consider it that, is to see movies that interest you and tell people about it. The rest is up to the suits, and it's a lot.
i think that movie theater subscription cards could potentially help the littler films out, while the big films are what pushes them to pay for those subscription cards to begin with. but you're right, marvel and star wars (and other such films) are what pushes studios to think mostly of how they can get more and more money.

it is a lot, on the suits. but we have an influence. and we are the influence that made the suits greedy about marvel movies and star wars movies by making those films the success that they've become. no one is greedy for a solo sequel (or probably even "a star wars story" as a brand)
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote: I like most of the Marvel movies. I hate what Star Wars and more recently Marvel have done to the film industry. George Lucas likes to make the argument that he helped the film industry with of all the multiplex theaters that have opened in the past few decades. Ignoring that all these multiplexes do is show 10 of the same movie at a time while everything else has to be made for 5 dollars and gets yanked from theaters if it doesn't immediately turn a profit, when the studios made no effort to put money into promoting it.

i think that movie theater subscription cards could potentially help the littler films out, while the big films are what pushes them to pay for those subscription cards to begin with. but you're right, marvel and star wars (and other such films) are what pushes studios to think mostly of how they can get more and more money.

it is a lot, on the suits. but we have an influence. and we are the influence that made the suits greedy about marvel movies and star wars movies by making those films the success that they've become. no one is greedy for a solo sequel (or probably even "a star wars story" as a brand)
As it stands, some version of MoviePass that will incentivize audiences to see particular films (Marvel/Star Wars don't need incentives) would be most helpful, you're right.

Think it's worth pointing out that big movies flopping doesn't help small movies either. Solo losing 100 million or however much doesn't mean the studios will pump money into some smaller, smarter film. The way the pie's cut up will affect other movies at the top of the chain, but the movies that get crumbs will still just get crumbs.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:

As it stands, some version of MoviePass that will incentivize audiences to see particular films (Marvel/Star Wars don't need incentives) would be most helpful, you're right.

Think it's worth pointing out that big movies flopping doesn't help small movies either. Solo losing 100 million or however much doesn't mean the studios will pump money into some smaller, smarter film. The way the pie's cut up will affect other movies at the top of the chain, but the movies that get crumbs will still just get crumbs.

affect the movies at the top enough, lose interest in the movies at the top enough, and that will help the smaller and "smarter" films.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:

affect the movies at the top enough, lose interest in the movies at the top enough, and that will help the smaller and "smarter" films.
You're not going to realistically tip the scales that way, the idea is to grow the pie and not give the Star Wars and Marvels of the world any more slices. And cut the fat off where it isn't needed, these movies do NOT need every bit of advertising they get. They actually lose out on profit this way. That money is better served championing other works. Even if it's at a loss, that loss just replaces the profits you lose out on for the superhero stuff. Big picture thinking.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:

You're not going to realistically tip the scales that way, the idea is to grow the pie and not give the Star Wars and Marvels of the world any more slices. And cut the fat off where it isn't needed, these movies do NOT need every bit of advertising they get. They actually lose out on profit this way. That money is better served championing other works. Even if it's at a loss, that loss just replaces the profits you lose out on for the superhero stuff. Big picture thinking.
i'm not going to realistically tip the scale by shouting that the suits need to change. i'm not going to realistically tip the scale in any way. all i can do is watch as many films that look appealing to me, and promote them when i do like them, and keep them in the public eye as much as i can.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:

i'm not going to realistically tip the scale by shouting that the suits need to change. i'm not going to realistically tip the scale in any way. all i can do is watch as many films that look appealing to me, and promote them when i do like them, and keep them in the public eye as much as i can.
Glad we're in agreement that it's on the suits, not us.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote: Glad we're in agreement that it's on the suits, not us.
i don't like feeling helpless. but if that's where we are... fair, i guess. let's shout to everyone why we're helpless and exactly how helpless we are.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote: Glad we're in agreement that it's on the suits, not us.
i don't like feeling helpless. but if that's where we are... fair, i guess. let's shout to everyone why we're helpless and exactly how helpless we are.
You're not helpless, just make tens of millions of dollars somehow so you can invest in the movie business and be the change we all want to see. :D
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Man. Some pretty epic performances in this thing.

The de-aging thing only really bugged me/was noticeable in those very first scenes with the truck fixing scene. Otherwise it’s just good enough to not be a thing.

Pesci is a real star in this for sure.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Joe Pesci basically becoming Paulie is an amazing turn.