The Year Horror Shifted Toward Comedy?

Anything that doesn't fit into the above categories.
Jason
Administrator

The Year Horror Shifted Toward Comedy?

Post by Jason »

You'd be hard pressed to find a bunch of horror flicks from the 70's that had a lot of comedy. But we all know 80's horror brought some of the best laughs without steering away from the horror elements. Then, of course, the 90's got carried away with it.

For me, I feel like 1981 was that magic number. I think if you look through that catalog of horror flicks you'll find a near even blend of serious horror and comedic horror.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Re: The Year Horror Shifted Toward Comedy?

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

An American Werewolf In London was very successful (1981). I imagine many really wanted to follow in Landis' footsteps, even though he was hardly the first. I think the first horror comedy (intentionally) was probably Bride of Frankenstein.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Oddly, I thought of An American Werewolf in London whilst making this thread.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

I feel like that comedy seems lost these days at least for some films. Maybe that’s the magic ingredient.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

is this thread to say that horror has lost out to comedy as an inbalance or something, now? cause i don't see that as a whole with the genre.

but 1981 seems to be the year where horror comedy as a subgenre really took it's place within horror.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

I think the comedy is lost these days in favor of cheap thrills and jump scares. No levity in some of these films.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i guess it depends on what horror you're watching, and what you're comparing it to. i skipped over the purge and insidious largely. i've had fun with a lot of the stuff i've been seeing.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

One can only take so much Tucker and Dale, zombs.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

tucker and dale is all levity! :P

i actually got turned off on it, the first time i watched it. had someone going on about how great it was that it was knocking down stuff like texas chain saw massacre. but i've grown to appreciate it better.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:is this thread to say that horror has lost out to comedy as an inbalance or something, now? cause i don't see that as a whole with the genre.

but 1981 seems to be the year where horror comedy as a subgenre really took it's place within horror.
When I created the thread, I had in mind the 70's and 80's. 70's had more intentions to scare the audience, once we got to the late 80's they became more popcorn flicks, laughing at shit and crazy kills. I feel like 81 was kinda the year of perfectly even balance of horror/comedy before it started taking a more humored approach.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:is this thread to say that horror has lost out to comedy as an inbalance or something, now? cause i don't see that as a whole with the genre.

When I created the thread, I had in mind the 70's and 80's. 70's had more intentions to scare the audience, once we got to the late 80's they became more popcorn flicks, laughing at shit and crazy kills. I feel like 81 was kinda the year of perfectly even balance of horror/comedy before it started taking a more humored approach.
i think the whole 80s was pretty much all about ec-style horror movies. the 70s was more gritty and dramatic with their horror. when did vhs really get going? i suspect that played a large part in the shift.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:

i think the whole 80s was pretty much all about ec-style horror movies. the 70s was more gritty and dramatic with their horror. when did vhs really get going? i suspect that played a large part in the shift.
Probably some truth to the EC Comic influence, because those were in the 50s (primarily) so all those young horror filmmakers in the 80's were likely raised on those comics.

But in a good way.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

what is the best horror comedy film from the 1970s, if there even is one? :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:what is the best horror comedy film from the 1970s, if there even is one? :P
In before some jokester says The Exorcist.