Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker

Discussion of all non-horror films. Oscar-nominees, Razzie-winners, we won't judge.
Forum rules
Want people to like you? Try being nice.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Re: Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:FTR, Lucas' ideas were terrible. Delusions of a strange old man.

Just blows my mind that nobody was responsible for overseeing the trilogy and making sure visions were more or less aligned. Rian Johnson was apparently given the freedom to make whatever film he wanted, and that's what he did. There was no obligation to make the film JJ Abrams wanted to make.
why did abrams step away for the last jedi? (or whatever he would have named it)
Abrams was only supposed to do 7.
so the plan was originally three different directors? just let them have a blank slate with their film? (aside from the characters involved, i guess) why even make a trilogy at all, if that was gonna be the approach? ugh...
Not only that but public perception is all that matters. We’ve had two future trilogies taken away from directors (Benioff and Weiss, Rian Johnson) because of public reaction to Game of Thrones and Last Jedi. And 9 was taken away from Trevorrow.
yay for fans steering the direction. :p
Always bad. REALLY bad when it's these fans, in my mind without question the most irrational and unpleasant of the major nerdbases.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Reign in Blood wrote:They're reactionary. They bought Marvel so that was already gonna stick to plan, but this is the way shit rolls when they go pantsin'.
They think they will just print money so it doesn't matter what a scatter-brained effort they put into building. Maybe Solo will have them rethinking but I doubt it.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

The more time I digest this movie the more I realize it was pretty fucking stupid :|
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Tiggnutz wrote:The more time I digest this movie the more I realize it was pretty fucking stupid :|
If we turn our brains off and pretend to be 5, will we like it?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
Reign in Blood wrote:They're reactionary. They bought Marvel so that was already gonna stick to plan, but this is the way shit rolls when they go pantsin'.
They think they will just print money so it doesn't matter what a scatter-brained effort they put into building. Maybe Solo will have them rethinking but I doubt it.
if this film makes a billion or more, then nothing is likely to change. solo will just be taken as a single hiccup.

also, i wonder how much control kathleen kennedy actually had over lucasfilm. it felt like she was beholden completely to the whims of people above her.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Headhunter wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:The more time I digest this movie the more I realize it was pretty fucking stupid :|
If we turn our brains off and pretend to be 5, will we like it?
Yeah there is lots of cool stuff it's just a really really bad story. I get excited by Star Wars even the familiar sounds bring me enjoyment.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
if this film makes a billion or more, then nothing is likely to change. solo will just be taken as a single hiccup.

also, i wonder how much control kathleen kennedy actually had over lucasfilm. it felt like she was beholden completely to the whims of people above her.
I don't think Lucasfilm means much of anything anymore, which would make her just a voice in the room and far from the most important one.

I think George knew he was dumping something pretty worthless on her when he gave her the keys. I believe she took over almost immediately after Disney acquired Lucasfilm.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

This is what happens when nothing but greed consumes you. Films like the original Star Wars used to inspire, what is all these shenanigans supposed to inspire.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Reign in Blood wrote:This is what happens when nothing but greed consumes you. Films like the original Star Wars used to inspire, what is all these shenanigans supposed to inspire.
Shareholders, pretty much.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Disney also setting in motion the acquisition of James Bond properties, btw.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Remember when Hitler wanted to buy up all the most popular pieces of art in the land...
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

It's a C not a C+ just a C
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Pants'n is exactly what this was. Though I'm sure JJ still had some very general ideas where it would go, but since Rian didn't abide by them it felt like he crammed two movies into one, with the "first" one rewriting a ton due to Carrie's death.

I liked the movie, but like all the Star Wars movies (aside from Empire, imo) it has its flaws. I think the critical reviews are harsher because they really loved Last Jedi and for some reason they feel betrayed (I've said out loud back in 2017 that Kylo was likely bullshitting her about her parents anyway just to get her confused and on the dark side, shocker that still sorta turned out true, but definitely no betrayal from what Rian wrote. People are making that shit up).
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Headhunter wrote:Disney also setting in motion the acquisition of James Bond properties, btw.
Which has me very nervous, because then they are going to fuck hard with the Bond legacy. Specifically casting actors that aren't right for the part because SJWs say so.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

I'm leaning more toward a B- or even a B with Rise of Skywalker

*ranks on Flickchart*

Looks like a solid B from me. 18th place for 2019.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

before rise of skywalker, jj abrams made it pretty clear that rey wasn't from a known bloodline. he's allowed to change his mind, but that's what it seems to be. unless he was lying before to reveal it later on film.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

zombie wrote:before rise of skywalker, jj abrams made it pretty clear that rey wasn't from a known bloodline. he's allowed to change his mind, but that's what it seems to be. unless he was lying before to reveal it later on film.
Which he's been known for apparently. So I don't trust him when he says certain things so things aren't spoiled. I mean, that's good that he tries to play coy like that, I'm not dissing him on his choice for that. But, her revealed bloodline has been one of the more consistent rumors for the past 4 years.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:
zombie wrote:before rise of skywalker, jj abrams made it pretty clear that rey wasn't from a known bloodline. he's allowed to change his mind, but that's what it seems to be. unless he was lying before to reveal it later on film.
Which he's been known for apparently. So I don't trust him when he says certain things so things aren't spoiled. I mean, that's good that he tries to play coy like that, I'm not dissing him on his choice for that. But, her revealed bloodline has been one of the more consistent rumors for the past 4 years.
yeah, it's been a rumor. i'm aware. fans theorize all sorts of things. or he could have changed his mind about her bloodline, as to clearly and definitively undo the last jedi, either because it's not his story, or because of fan backlash. (or both) we may never know.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

I did find myself amused with not one, but TWO Goonies references in this film :P
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

I did get my wish though regarding Rey. I've mentioned that outside of the parlor type tricks she's done, she hasn't really done anything worth of note for two films regarding the Force (nothing on the level of previous protagonists anyway, and yes I consider lifting rocks a parlor trick), so I was gonna be pissed if she still didn't advance in this one. She has :P