Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker

Discussion of all non-horror films. Oscar-nominees, Razzie-winners, we won't judge.
Forum rules
Want people to like you? Try being nice.
zombie
Administrator

Re: Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:It never sat right with me the way George was treated in this process. Not gonna cry for him given the empire and fortune he's built, but Star Wars is his universe.
was george lucas still in a position that he could have made more star wars, before he sold to disney? i thought he was so disillusioned by prequels reaction that he didn't know where to go or couldn't find the motivation. was it more than that?
The original plan was to make 7 and then step down, but there was an understanding that the new filmmakers would use his outlines. Eventually he decided he wouldn't direct any of them, but the final stipulation of his sale to Disney was that they use his stories. Then Disney told Abrams not to use them.
he should have written that into the contracts then. that does bite, though.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i still want there to be more standalone "star wars story" films. :P
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:It never sat right with me the way George was treated in this process. Not gonna cry for him given the empire and fortune he's built, but Star Wars is his universe.
was george lucas still in a position that he could have made more star wars, before he sold to disney? i thought he was so disillusioned by prequels reaction that he didn't know where to go or couldn't find the motivation. was it more than that?
The original plan was to make 7 and then step down, but there was an understanding that the new filmmakers would use his outlines. Eventually he decided he wouldn't direct any of them, but the final stipulation of his sale to Disney was that they use his stories. Then Disney told Abrams not to use them.
Do you think a person's word means anything?
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:i still want there to be more standalone "star wars story" films. :P
Don't worry, there will be 20 more. Along with five more trilogies.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
i'm not disney. if they had only a verbal agreement that the original cuts of the star wars films not be released, would they have stuck to it?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:i still want there to be more standalone "star wars story" films. :P
i'm not as big on the skywalker saga stuff. make star wars a playground for filmmakers! :P
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
i'm not disney. if they had only a verbal agreement that the original cuts of the star wars films not be released, would they have stuck to it?
This is one of your stranger devil's advocate arguments, considering my point that you originally responded to was that it wasn't right the way Disney treated him.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
i'm not as big on the skywalker saga stuff. make star wars a playground for filmmakers! :P
It already is. A new movie comes out every year and we already have a trilogy with no sense of continuity and bickering between directors.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
This is one of your stranger devil's advocate arguments, considering my point that you originally responded to was that it wasn't right the way Disney treated him.
yeah, i agreed that it wasn't right how he was treated. i thought you were trying to counter my assertion that he should have written what he wanted into the contracts of sale.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
yeah, i agreed that it wasn't right how he was treated. i thought you were trying to counter my assertion that he should have written what he wanted into the contracts of sale.
No, I just don't think it should come to that because Disney should have some integrity. A man is only as good as his word.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
No, I just don't think it should come to that because Disney should have some integrity. A man is only as good as his word.
bob iger (or alan horn) is not as good as his word.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
It already is. A new movie comes out every year and we already have a trilogy with no sense of continuity and bickering between directors.
give steven spielberg, edgar wright, julie taymor, chad stahelski, robert eggars, kevin smith and sofia coppola each an individual film, and then don't fuck with them or replace them when you feel like they're going too far.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

FTR, Lucas' ideas were terrible. Delusions of a strange old man.

Just blows my mind that nobody was responsible for overseeing the trilogy and making sure visions were more or less aligned. Rian Johnson was apparently given the freedom to make whatever film he wanted, and that's what he did. There was no obligation to make the film JJ Abrams wanted to make.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:FTR, Lucas' ideas were terrible. Delusions of a strange old man.

Just blows my mind that nobody was responsible for overseeing the trilogy and making sure visions were more or less aligned. Rian Johnson was apparently given the freedom to make whatever film he wanted, and that's what he did. There was no obligation to make the film JJ Abrams wanted to make.
why did abrams step away for the last jedi? (or whatever he would have named it)
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:FTR, Lucas' ideas were terrible. Delusions of a strange old man.

why did abrams step away for the last jedi? (or whatever he would have named it)
Abrams was only supposed to do 7.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:

so the plan was originally three different directors? just let them have a blank slate with their film? (aside from the characters involved, i guess) why even make a trilogy at all, if that was gonna be the approach? ugh...
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

The House of Mouse has got toys in the attic. Broken toys.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:

so the plan was originally three different directors? just let them have a blank slate with their film? (aside from the characters involved, i guess) why even make a trilogy at all, if that was gonna be the approach? ugh...
Not only that but public perception is all that matters. We’ve had two future trilogies taken away from directors (Benioff and Weiss, Rian Johnson) because of public reaction to Game of Thrones and Last Jedi. And 9 was taken away from Trevorrow.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

They're reactionary. They bought Marvel so that was already gonna stick to plan, but this is the way shit rolls when they go pantsin'.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:

Not only that but public perception is all that matters. We’ve had two future trilogies taken away from directors (Benioff and Weiss, Rian Johnson) because of public reaction to Game of Thrones and Last Jedi. And 9 was taken away from Trevorrow.
yay for fans steering the direction. :p