Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker

Discussion of all non-horror films. Oscar-nominees, Razzie-winners, we won't judge.
Forum rules
Want people to like you? Try being nice.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Re: Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker

Post by Tiggnutz »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Headhunter wrote:I can't imagine a Star Wars movie being worse than The Phantom Menace. The pod race and lightsaber fight are the only things that save it from an F.

Attack of the Clones would have been okay if the Anakin/Padme shit wasn't so fucking cringe.
And Darth Maul was a bad ass villain, not the worst. Attack of the Clones has got nothing, absolutely nothing.
Have to agree that even though under used Maul bumps Phantom past Clones
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Darth Maul is cancelled out by the amount of Jar Jar, and it's probably a net negative with just how bad Jar Jar is in that movie. And as bad as Hayden was, Jake Lloyd is the worst child actor of all time. Attack of the Clones has the better story, tone throughout is cool, and significantly less Jar Jar and no Jake Lloyd.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

I would have to really think about my rankings for Revenge of the Sith, Rogue One, Force Awakens, Last Jedi and Return of the Jedi. I like all of them but don't love any for different reasons. Haven't seen Solo. Attack of the Clones and Phantom Menace have some nearly unwatchable characteristics, and Empire and A New Hope are some of my favorite movies.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Headhunter wrote:Darth Maul is cancelled out by the amount of Jar Jar, and it's probably a net negative with just how bad Jar Jar is in that movie. And as bad as Hayden was, Jake Lloyd is the worst child actor of all time. Attack of the Clones has the better story, tone throughout is cool, and significantly less Jar Jar and no Jake Lloyd.
I am going to have to disagree here Jake Lloyd is far better than Hayden. Hayden is so shitty it is distracting and I put him in the Jar Jar group of horrible Star Wars decisions
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Nah, Jake is definitely worse. Just rewatched Phantom Menace on Thursday...and jesus christ. Hayden's bad, but not Jake bad. Jake is also terribawful in Jingle All the Way, so he's pretty consistent in his shittiness.

Hell, Hayden even improves by Revenge of the Sith, if only slightly (I feel it's mostly his dialogue that's bad, and most actors would struggle making it sound good).
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Tiggnutz wrote:
Headhunter wrote:Darth Maul is cancelled out by the amount of Jar Jar, and it's probably a net negative with just how bad Jar Jar is in that movie. And as bad as Hayden was, Jake Lloyd is the worst child actor of all time. Attack of the Clones has the better story, tone throughout is cool, and significantly less Jar Jar and no Jake Lloyd.
I am going to have to disagree here Jake Lloyd is far better than Hayden. Hayden is so shitty it is distracting and I put him in the Jar Jar group of horrible Star Wars decisions
Jake is the worst of all time. He makes the kid from Shane look like a prodigy.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Nah, Jake is definitely worse. Just rewatched Phantom Menace on Thursday...and jesus christ. Hayden's bad, but not Jake bad. Jake is also terribawful in Jingle All the Way, so he's pretty consistent in his shittiness.

Hell, Hayden even improves by Revenge of the Sith, if only slightly (I feel it's mostly his dialogue that's bad, and most actors would struggle making it sound good).
Revenge of the Sith would have been an incredible film with another writer.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Headhunter wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Nah, Jake is definitely worse. Just rewatched Phantom Menace on Thursday...and jesus christ. Hayden's bad, but not Jake bad. Jake is also terribawful in Jingle All the Way, so he's pretty consistent in his shittiness.

Revenge of the Sith would have been an incredible film with another writer.
Yeah. Even George's direction is sharper on that one. The only holdback is his dialogue.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Let's agree both were horrible casting that defy reason for such big rolls that must have had massive applicants
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Tiggnutz wrote:Let's agree both were horrible casting that defy reason for such big rolls that must have had massive applicants
Two really bad fuck-ups. Would love to know who was turned down, if anyone of significance was.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

When I was watching Once Upon a Time in Hollywood I remember thinking this little girl is bouncing off of Leo and working like a pro. There had to be badasses like her back then
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Tiggnutz wrote:When I was watching Once Upon a Time in Hollywood I remember thinking this little girl is bouncing off of Leo and working like a pro. There had to be badasses like her back then
If that young lady is bad that whole scene doesn't work but she was up to the challenge
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Fuck that, Jar Jar was the sidekick geared toward kids, they just put him in too much and underestimated how stupid he was. You don't discount Mola Ram and the Kali Ma Shak Teeday just because you got a beef with Short Round, we're adults here you uncultured swine.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Hey now, I like Short Round! It's Willie who sucks :P
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Fuck that, Jar Jar was the sidekick geared toward kids, they just put him in too much and underestimated how stupid he was. You don't discount Mola Ram and the Kali Ma Shak Teeday just because you got a beef with Short Round, we're adults here you uncultured swine.
Yeah, I get why he's there. Doesn't change that the motherfucker's ruining every scene he touches and embarrassing me as a lover of movies. And I don't really have a beef with Short Round, a little annoying but ain't the same ballpark.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Short Round is just an analogy, everybody loves Short Round, damnit people. Point is, Darth Maul is a cool motherfucker, and if you go to a shit show and there's a cool motherfucka, you tend to remember him and thus the show. Now if you have some pedestrian piece of trash like attack of the lames, well you don't remember a god damn thing. And that is that.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

It's a big leap/drop from F to D- or vice versa in my book. I'm accounting for how cool Darth Maul is to make that happen. Because 75% of that movie has a real "one of the worst movies ever made" thing going on.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Duel of the Fates theme is also amazing. One of my favorites out of the franchise. I also think the pod race scene, Darth Maul and the lightsaber duel are too good to get thrust into D grade territory.
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Those scenes are very good. But a C grade puts it in "decent/okay" territory and about 75% of this movie is an absolute piece of shit to the highest order. I could never in good conscience say about this movie "Yeah it's okay".
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man :P