Pet Sematary 2019 (With Spoilers)

This is where you post your review to be posted on the main site. Reviews will screened for relevance and spelling before it is posted to the main site.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Pet Sematary 2019 (With Spoilers)

Post by Tiggnutz »

Yesterday I saw the new Pet Sematary and today I watched the original because it had been awhile and I wanted to have it also fresh in my mind. Things I didn't like about the original. The actors portraying Louis and Elle were not very good in the original and the actors playing both in the new one are much better. Things I love about the original. Fred Gwynne as Jud Crandall is perfect casting. Even though I'm only about halfway through the book I know that is Jud Crandall. I was excited to hear the great John Lithgow would be portraying Jud in the new one but he is greatly underutilized and for some reason his Jud does not have the strong New England accent that Fred nailed down perfectly. In this version the Creeds move to Ludlow Maine from Boston not Chicago and I don't understand that decision either. The Creeds being from far away and hearing the distinctive New England accent is part of the narrative of them being in a completely foreign and mysterious place. Maybe a small thing but something I instantly picked up on. In this version Elle is the child killed by a truck instead of Gage and I didn't have a problem with that at all because the young lady playing Elle is very good and does a fine job of coming back different. In the original little evil Gage is my favorite part of the movie so as far as this aspect goes it's even. Church has a bigger role in the new one and I liked that. The third act is where these two movies go different directions and I am split down the middle of which one I prefer most. I won't say anymore about it you should see it for yourself. I am giving Pet Sematary a B- and that's what I also give the original both have plenty to like and dislike .
Ava
Charter Member

Re: Pet Sematary 2019 (With Spoilers)

Post by Ava »

Did they improve Zelda? I remember when it came out watching her on screen and being creeped out, but now it is laughable. I was wondering if they went super scary with her....
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

I thought Zelda was creepy but than again I think the original Zelda is still creepy
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

They do anything more/different with the student jogger corpse dude?
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Reign in Blood wrote:They do anything more/different with the student jogger corpse dude?
Basically the same
Havok
Charter Member

Post by Havok »

The first 30 minutes is a check list for the first hour of the original film.

They do more with the dead kid (Ellie) in the remake instead of being saved for the last 10 minutes.

Jud sucked in this one and his death was forgettable. Whereas it's one of the highlights of the original.

Pascow only shows up like 4 times.

Zelda storyline is used more and Zelda looked like the corpse from The Possession of Hannah Grace.

Overall, it felt like I was watching the same exact film just edited and trimmed around differently. The best thing to do is for somebody to make a fan edit of both films and pick and choose the best bits to make a much better all around film.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Havok wrote:The best thing to do is for somebody to make a fan edit of both films and pick and choose the best bits to make a much better all around film.
Would be the perfect suggestion for the Halloween VI Producer's and Director's cuts.