What Are You Reading

You can talk about anything here
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Re: What Are You Reading

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

I'm nearing the last hundred pages of the 2nd Mistborn book. Pretty good, but sags with all the ancient text talk.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:01 am I'm nearing the last hundred pages of the 2nd Mistborn book. Pretty good, but sags with all the ancient text talk.
It gets better, but I think the first book is the best of the bunch. I did not see the twist coming and it made for a good cliffhanger for the next couple books.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Slaughterhouserock wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:07 am
DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:01 am I'm nearing the last hundred pages of the 2nd Mistborn book. Pretty good, but sags with all the ancient text talk.
It gets better, but I think the first book is the best of the bunch. I did not see the twist coming and it made for a good cliffhanger for the next couple books.
I did really like the first book. I still like this one, just not as much.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Finished Skeleton Crew and now I will be starting Needful Things. Needful Things is rather chubby at 816 pages
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Ah, but you'll find that times flies quickly once you're immersed in that beautiful world of characters.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Jigsaw wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:56 am Ah, but you'll find that times flies quickly once you're immersed in that beautiful world of characters.
Looking forward to it
NightOfTheLiving_Sam

Post by NightOfTheLiving_Sam »

At the moment I'm still reading The Goldfinch book. I've heard so many good things about it so I'm glad I decided to check it out. :)
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Decided to start getting some Stephen King audiobooks because it seems I would never be able to catch up by simply reading the novels. I'm starting with The Gunslinger and will continue through the rest of the Dark Tower series
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Made it through the first 200 pages of Needful Things. Very high praise so far.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

With only 20 minutes left of The Gunslinger audiobook I can say that this is easily the worst thing I've ever read from Stephen King. I've already purchased the next book in the Dark Tower series but if its of this quality it would be the last
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Tiggnutz wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:18 am With only 20 minutes left of The Gunslinger audiobook I can say that this is easily the worst thing I've ever read from Stephen King. I've already purchased the next book in the Dark Tower series but if its of this quality it would be the last
Wasn't too big on The Gunslinger myself (aside from the shootout sequence early/mid in the book), but The Drawing Of The Three is probably my favorite of the Dark Tower Books, massive level upgrade, IMO.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:42 am
Tiggnutz wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:18 am With only 20 minutes left of The Gunslinger audiobook I can say that this is easily the worst thing I've ever read from Stephen King. I've already purchased the next book in the Dark Tower series but if its of this quality it would be the last
Wasn't too big on The Gunslinger myself (aside from the shootout sequence early/mid in the book), but The Drawing Of The Three is probably my favorite of the Dark Tower Books, massive level upgrade, IMO.
I hear this a lot so I am very hopeful
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Did you read the original or the re-written version? I prefer the original. Either way, it gets better, then it gets worse, then it gets good again with an ending that most either love or hate. Also, you're enjoyment of the series is also related to how many of his other works you've read since it kinda connects them all.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Slaughterhouserock wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:24 pm
Did you read the original or the re-written version? I prefer the original. Either way, it gets better, then it gets worse, then it gets good again with an ending that most either love or hate. Also, you're enjoyment of the series is also related to how many of his other works you've read since it kinda connects them all.
Re-written version.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Tiggnutz wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:06 pm Re-written version.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of that version. He added lots of anachronisms that are introduced later to make it "fit" better in the series, though you don't hear them again until the third or fourth book. He also changed the man in black a bit, which I didn't care for. I honestly feel it's a worse read because of the changes.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

The Drawing of the Three started off hot and im back full on board
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Tiggnutz wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:25 am The Drawing of the Three started off hot and im back full on board
Books 2-4 are the best of the series, imo. 4 is slow, definitely felt the slowest of the books, but really good. 5-7, you do feel the cramming-the-night-before vibe with King just cranking them out to finish it.

I think Wind Through the Keyhole is the worst (it's like a 5.5 or 6.5 in chronological placement), but a strong argument for 6 (Song of Suzannah) is there too.

The Gunslinger I think just suffers from being one of his earliest pieces before he really took off. I think it's better than most of his Bachman books (Long Walk is superior though), but it fits in that quality zone, imo.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:07 pm Books 2-4 are the best of the series, imo. 4 is slow, definitely felt the slowest of the books, but really good. 5-7, you do feel the cramming-the-night-before vibe with King just cranking them out to finish it.

I think Wind Through the Keyhole is the worst (it's like a 5.5 or 6.5 in chronological placement), but a strong argument for 6 (Song of Suzannah) is there too.

The Gunslinger I think just suffers from being one of his earliest pieces before he really took off. I think it's better than most of his Bachman books (Long Walk is superior though), but it fits in that quality zone, imo.
Pretty much agree, though I don't really count WTtK since it was written after the series was over, and I think the last wasn't that bad. If he didn't get in that car accident, those last few would've been much better. He's mentioned wanting to re-write them because he knew he shit the bed with them. Doubt he will, but it'd be nice.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Yeah, 7 does pick up a lot of slack from the lackluster 6, and I do like *how* it ended overall.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Tiggnutz wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:25 am The Drawing of the Three started off hot and im back full on board
Really like Eddie and Detta