Is Asian Horror scarier ?

Horreur, Hörrör, ホラー映画、il horroria. Der Schreckfilm, skräckfilmer.
MindfulInquirer

Is Asian Horror scarier ?

Post by MindfulInquirer »

Like is it flat out scarier horror ? It may sound obvious to some that yes it is, but I don't believe it's unanimous.
Last edited by MindfulInquirer on Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason
Administrator

Re: Is Asian Horro scarier ?

Post by Jason »

Asian Horror just doesn't get my juices flowing. Don't know why. Might be a cultural thing.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Not at all. For a while, after being burned by the lackluster Ringu and Ju-On, I ignored them. Luckily I came around to some others, mostly Korean. But no, what is commonly seen as the great scary asian horror, like Ringu and Ju-On, I find mediocre at best.

And even the Korean ones I've been digging, weren't really scare, they're just awesome. Train to Busan is currently my favorite. I Saw The Devil I actually rank higher, but it doesn't seem to be viewed as horror so I tend to leave it out.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

Japan is good for gore or shit ghost films, the other countries are hit or miss, but nothing I'd call scary. The issue is that what scares people is relative, so different cultures will make different horror(hence japan and its love of hairy ghosts). To me, nothing is scarier than a dude. That shit is real, everything else is pure entertainment.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

it depends on what you view as scary. the argument largely seems to focus on supernatural horror that is focused on atmosphere. we have plenty of that too. the changeling, the haunting, and such.

the east and west both have a lot to offer, as far as i'm concerned. i grew up with english language horror, so i lean more to that. but would always appreciate recommendations from elsewhere.
MindfulInquirer

Re: Is Asian Horror scarier ?

My question, to be clear, wasn't whether Asian horror was BETTER, but whether it was the scariest.

Sure people are scared by different things, it's all subjective etc... but asian horror has had a mainstream following in the entire world based on how scary it was not on how powerful and influential Japanese/Korean/Chinese cinema is. So people have sought out weird, supernatural asian horror with its knack for creepy/disturbing storytelling rather than been imposed to watch it. Western producers understood that and made the Ring and the Grudge directly based on the asian horror flicks, with plenty of sequels. And the first ones were a major success. People in the West will even go out of their way and watch a whole movie with subtitles those asian horrors are so sought out. And it's not just the films, it's all their horror manga and animes, I'm not a fan of that stuff but they're easily the most twisted, disturbing and visually frightening I've seen.

Personal preferences is different. I personally prefer American horror, none of my favorite horror films are asian. But are they just scarier - like if a committee of aliens dropped by and watched horror from all over the world, wouldn't they say "damn, those asian humans are particularly fkd up".
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

I need to watch more asian horror but from what ive seen it isnt any scarier than any other stuff
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

I will never understand how people can classify films as scary. They're films. By definition, they aren't real and are made for entertainment purposes. I find asian gore films to be highly entertaining, but not scary. I think their ghost films are laughably bad, definitely not scary. Their monster movies are usually good, but far from scary. The last time a film scared me I was nine years old, and it was because I was a child. Maybe I'm an outlier here, but I assumed all horror fans were the same.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

I know you meant scarier, my answer is still no.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

MindfulInquirer wrote:My question, to be clear, wasn't whether Asian horror was BETTER, but whether it was the scariest.

Sure people are scared by different things, it's all subjective etc... but asian horror has had a mainstream following in the entire world based on how scary it was not on how powerful and influential Japanese/Korean/Chinese cinema is. So people have sought out weird, supernatural asian horror with its knack for creepy/disturbing storytelling rather than been imposed to watch it. Western producers understood that and made the Ring and the Grudge directly based on the asian horror flicks, with plenty of sequels. And the first ones were a major success. People in the West will even go out of their way and watch a whole movie with subtitles those asian horrors are so sought out. And it's not just the films, it's all their horror manga and animes, I'm not a fan of that stuff but they're easily the most twisted, disturbing and visually frightening I've seen.

Personal preferences is different. I personally prefer American horror, none of my favorite horror films are asian. But are they just scarier - like if a committee of aliens dropped by and watched horror from all over the world, wouldn't they say "damn, those asian humans are particularly fkd up".
it just depends on what you consider to be scary, in a film. japanese horror like tokyo gore police and such is a lot more twisted and wacky than a lot of stuff in the west, but that's not where the focus on the "scarier" argument tends to be, from what i've seen.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Slaughterhouserock wrote:I will never understand how people can classify films as scary. They're films. By definition, they aren't real and are made for entertainment purposes. I find asian gore films to be highly entertaining, but not scary. I think their ghost films are laughably bad, definitely not scary. Their monster movies are usually good, but far from scary. The last time a film scared me I was nine years old, and it was because I was a child. Maybe I'm an outlier here, but I assumed all horror fans were the same.
How do you enjoy a film, though, if you're unable to suspend reality and get wrapped up in it?
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Jason wrote:How do you enjoy a film, though, if you're unable to suspend reality and get wrapped up in it?
I can still get wrapped up in the story and all that, I don't see how a film can be scary. Take a more realistic film, like a slasher. The film itself isn't scary, but if it were to happen to me in real life, it would be. As a film, it's just entertainment.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Jason wrote:
Slaughterhouserock wrote:I will never understand how people can classify films as scary. They're films. By definition, they aren't real and are made for entertainment purposes. I find asian gore films to be highly entertaining, but not scary. I think their ghost films are laughably bad, definitely not scary. Their monster movies are usually good, but far from scary. The last time a film scared me I was nine years old, and it was because I was a child. Maybe I'm an outlier here, but I assumed all horror fans were the same.
How do you enjoy a film, though, if you're unable to suspend reality and get wrapped up in it?
Possesion films and sometimes some others can still creep me out and im thankful for that.
MindfulInquirer

zombie wrote:
MindfulInquirer wrote:My question, to be clear, wasn't whether Asian horror was BETTER, but whether it was the scariest.

it just depends on what you consider to be scary, in a film. japanese horror like tokyo gore police and such is a lot more twisted and wacky than a lot of stuff in the west, but that's not where the focus on the "scarier" argument tends to be, from what i've seen.
Well I mean "scary" in the most organic instinctive way. More or less universal for human beings. Sudden movements, jumpscares, well managed suspense with a strong release, good use of sound and music with shrieks, dissonance and nerve-racking highs and lows, clever use of lighting and of the night setting, visuals that tap directly into our primal fears (large eyes, menacing features). That shit will scare any human being, or at least, a good majority in just about any country. No ?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

MindfulInquirer wrote:
zombie wrote:

Well I mean "scary" in the most organic instinctive way. More or less universal for human beings. Sudden movements, jumpscares, well managed suspense with a strong release, good use of sound and music with shrieks, dissonance and nerve-racking highs and lows, clever use of lighting and of the night setting, visuals that tap directly into our primal fears (large eyes, menacing features). That shit will scare any human being, or at least, a good majority in just about any country. No ?
when you say that will scare any human being. i'm not so sure, cause name five or so films that you feel would be universally scary, as an experiment?
Ava
Charter Member

Post by Ava »

no.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

MindfulInquirer wrote:Well I mean "scary" in the most organic instinctive way. More or less universal for human beings. Sudden movements, jumpscares, well managed suspense with a strong release, good use of sound and music with shrieks, dissonance and nerve-racking highs and lows, clever use of lighting and of the night setting, visuals that tap directly into our primal fears (large eyes, menacing features). That shit will scare any human being, or at least, a good majority in just about any country. No ?
Sudden movements/jump scares and music ques are the horror equivalent to a pie in the face in comedy. It's cheap and does nothing. I don't see how lighting/darkness can be scary unless you're a nyctophobe. And I see fucked up looking people on the regular in real life, so "menacing features" mean nothing.