SJW Phenomena

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

SJW Phenomena

Post by Tiggnutz »

No one can deny that the country and possibly the world is swept up in a PC storm but while I've never met anyone who supports the movement the storm seems to gain strength daily. Any citizen of planet earth is held to an unidentfied standard set by a jury that no one can identify. This standard apparently starts at your birth so there is no quarter granted for youth or naivety. Something you thought as a child but long since forsaken is still credible evidence of your character. Seems like the plot of a movie yet is the standard of the day. How did this situation come to pass and is it the way things are supposed to be? Are we mindless pawns who need to be judged by a new moral standard set by nameless inquisitors on social media? What happened?
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Re: SJW Phenomena

Post by Jigsaw »

Depends on the situation. There are some SJW issues that I think are overblown - others associated with SWJs are important and need to be addressed.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

I agree but there seems to be no distinction right now. Which of course will hinder everything. It's made me hate all of it personally though I know that's not the right way to go about it. I am not alone.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Not being alone doesn't make it right, but at least you understand that. Criticize the ideas that need to be criticized, and as for the ideas that need to be better examined, examine them.

This whole 'SJW's are horrible' thing feels almost a meaningless statement. Social justice in of itself is a very good goal (albeit generic) - where self-labels SJWs go wrong, call them out. But herding them all together into a single group makes no sense.

I am a feminist, and have been a feminist for years now. Most feminists I know are sensible people. But then you have people like Jason saying "feminism hates men" when that's only true for a small sub-section of the group. Instead of grouping people together into groups so large that it's approaching pointless, call out the individual problems and not the generic umbrella-wide movement as a whole.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Jigsaw wrote:Not being alone doesn't make it right, but at least you understand that. Criticize the ideas that need to be criticized, and as for the ideas that need to be better examined, examine them.

This whole 'SJW's are horrible' thing feels almost a meaningless statement. Social justice in of itself is a very good goal (albeit generic) - where self-labels SJWs go wrong, call them out. But herding them all together into a single group makes no sense.

I am a feminist, and have been a feminist for years now. Most feminists I know are sensible people. But then you have people like Jason saying "feminism hates men" when that's only true for a small sub-section of the group. Instead of grouping people together into groups so large that it's approaching pointless, call out the individual problems and not the generic umbrella-wide movement as a whole.
1) I've never said that
2) The problem is feminists no longer know what feminism is. They are still trying to create their own definition for it.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Jason wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:Not being alone doesn't make it right, but at least you understand that. Criticize the ideas that need to be criticized, and as for the ideas that need to be better examined, examine them.

1) I've never said that
2) The problem is feminists no longer know what feminism is. They are still trying to create their own definition for it.
That's funny, because I know plenty of feminists who know what feminism is. Just because different groups use it in different ways doesn't mean the whole group is aimless.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Fuck em'. That's all I got.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Jigsaw wrote:
Jason wrote:

1) I've never said that
That's funny, because I know plenty of feminists who know what feminism is. Just because different groups use it in different ways doesn't mean the whole group is aimless.
It's pretty aimless. lol.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Rise of the Betas!

Bunch of people who can barely function in a competitive society lashing out. What they do not realize, is they are just enabling the alphas who give no shits and are capable to dominate even more.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

I mean really, why would you be a feminist as a male? You should be seeking either dominance or equality, not to be lessor.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

agreed. no one should be fighting to make their gender or race be less than another. equality is the way forward.

extremism, even when it's extremism that starts from a point that you agree with, is garbage.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Foo wrote:I mean really, why would you be a feminist as a male? You should be seeking either dominance or equality, not to be lessor.
Because I believe in the equality of genders, which is what most feminists I know support.

See, here it is - "feminists want men to be lesser than women." Based on my experiences talking with actual feminists active in the movement, that is far from the majority opinion of the group.

As a male, I'm proud to be a feminist. Even if that makes me a weak sister or whatever other macho-man sexist bullshit you want to pull.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

zombie wrote:agreed. no one should be fighting to make their gender or race be less than another. equality is the way forward.

extremism, even when it's extremism that starts from a point that you agree with, is garbage.
If most feminists were extremists, then that'd be relevant here. But Foo's wrong, so it's not really the case here, as far as I'm concerned.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Jigsaw wrote:
Foo wrote:I mean really, why would you be a feminist as a male? You should be seeking either dominance or equality, not to be lessor.
Because I believe in the equality of genders, which is what most feminists I know support.

See, here it is - "feminists want men to be lesser than women." Based on my experiences talking with actual feminists active in the movement, that is far from the majority opinion of the group.

As a male, I'm proud to be a feminist. Even if that makes me a weak sister or whatever other macho-man sexist bullshit you want to pull.
I am proud to support equality. I am also proud that I recognize differences in genders that can create inequality of outcome despite equal opportunity.

Why not just support equality, instead of feminism? Feminism excludes about half the people, including gay males and trans, who experience far more inequality than females.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jigsaw wrote:
zombie wrote:agreed. no one should be fighting to make their gender or race be less than another. equality is the way forward.

If most feminists were extremists, then that'd be relevant here. But Foo's wrong, so it's not really the case here, as far as I'm concerned.
anyone who wants their race or gender or religion whatever, to be greater than or less than someone else's is an extremist from my point of view. never meant it to be that all feminists are extremists.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Foo wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:

I am proud to support equality. I am also proud that I recognize differences in genders that can create inequality of outcome despite equal opportunity.

Why not just support equality, instead of feminism? Feminism excludes about half the people, including gay males and trans, who experience far more inequality than females.
Feminism does support equality. It doesn't exclude anyone, and most feminists are very supportive of both the homosexual and transexual communities.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Most feminists I know, I should say.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:

anyone who wants their race or gender or religion whatever, to be greater than or less than someone else's is an extremist from my point of view. never meant it to be that all feminists are extremists.
Is it extremist to want yourself to be better than others? Like, if I want to be the best or dominate.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Jigsaw wrote:
Foo wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:

Feminism does support equality. It doesn't exclude anyone, and most feminists are very supportive of both the homosexual and transexual communities.
But the name does not reflect that.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:

Is it extremist to want yourself to be better than others? Like, if I want to be the best or dominate.
dominant as an individual, or dominant in regard to your race or gender above another? and how do you go about being the best? is it knocking others down, or raising yourself up, in whatever way?