Amazon to New York...

It will get heated. Can't take it, don't open the forum.
Forum rules
We tolerate extreme views, assuming no actual discrimination against board-members occurs. We will let snowflakes melt from the heat.
Jason
Administrator

Re: Amazon to New York...

Post by Jason »

showa58taro wrote:
Jason wrote:
showa58taro wrote:I’m sorry but you’ve just not got a clue. Honda doesn’t just plow money into a magical japanese economy pot. Buy American is nonsensical in the modern age. Currency manipulation is an issue but not as you describe it.
I never said they did. You seem to be taking whatever you want out of things I say and interpreting it how you want. CNN has taught you well. When Mike buys a Japanese car, and Japan is not charged import fees, that money is wiped away from the American economy. Pretty straightforward message there.
Wait, a guy in the US buys a car in the US and you think that money is wiped away from the American Economy.

How the fuck donyou think that is a coherent take?
Japan build car in Japan
Japan car import frum Japahn
Japan no charged import fee
Mark buy Jehpan car
Jepahn git money 4 car
Jephaun winz
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Jason wrote:
showa58taro wrote:
Jason wrote:
showa58taro wrote:I’m sorry but you’ve just not got a clue. Honda doesn’t just plow money into a magical japanese economy pot. Buy American is nonsensical in the modern age. Currency manipulation is an issue but not as you describe it.
I never said they did. You seem to be taking whatever you want out of things I say and interpreting it how you want. CNN has taught you well. When Mike buys a Japanese car, and Japan is not charged import fees, that money is wiped away from the American economy. Pretty straightforward message there.
Wait, a guy in the US buys a car in the US and you think that money is wiped away from the American Economy.

How the fuck donyou think that is a coherent take?
Japan build car in Japan
Japan car import frum Japahn
Japan no charged import fee
Mark buy Jehpan car
Jepahn git money 4 car
Jephaun winz
If they sell in the US they have a corporate entity in the US. And so it gets taxed there and gas investments there. Unless you’re literally assuming that a US company bought a vehicle in Jaian and imported it on their own then sold it but at that point it’s irrekevant where it was made as a US company sets itself up for this.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Also as should be clear tariffs (import fees) are paid by US corporations not japanese ones for importing. So adding tariffs increases the money US corporations pay to Treasury to import the goods. In simple terms that ignore what really happens, in your example Japan still make and sell the car for the same price. The dealership Mark buys his Honda from now pays Government tariffs to import the car, likely passing that cost on to Mark or swallowing the hit and losing money and profits. Japan remains unaffected.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

showa58taro wrote:Also as should be clear tariffs (import fees) are paid by US corporations not japanese ones for importing. So adding tariffs increases the money US corporations pay to Treasury to import the goods. In simple terms that ignore what really happens, in your example Japan still make and sell the car for the same price. The dealership Mark buys his Honda from now pays Government tariffs to import the car, likely passing that cost on to Mark or swallowing the hit and losing money and profits. Japan remains unaffected.
Now you see the problem.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Jason wrote:
showa58taro wrote:Also as should be clear tariffs (import fees) are paid by US corporations not japanese ones for importing. So adding tariffs increases the money US corporations pay to Treasury to import the goods. In simple terms that ignore what really happens, in your example Japan still make and sell the car for the same price. The dealership Mark buys his Honda from now pays Government tariffs to import the car, likely passing that cost on to Mark or swallowing the hit and losing money and profits. Japan remains unaffected.
Now you see the problem.
They are still unaffected even with your tariffs and autarky. Hence why Trump has been so extremely bad at negotiating and foreign policy. He doesn’t even understand the basics.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

You aren't grounded in reality. Your leftist bias let's you see what you want to see.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

In other words, you can’t argue with my point so you pretend to just be superior de facto. Cool. Cool cool.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

showa58taro wrote:In other words, you can’t argue with my point so you pretend to just be superior de facto. Cool. Cool cool.
Well, ok. You asked for this...

You've pretty much gone out of your way to say that the nation of Japan doesn't even take in any revenue on the cars they make because they sell them within the U.S. and the U.S. takes all the revenue. It's impossible to argue with you. You will say off-the-wall shit, convince yourself you're right and never bend on the issue. It is undeniable (but of course, only you will find a way) that allowing foreign nations to sell their shit in America at competitive prices without any repercussions takes money out of the American economy. While you might not believe facts, slapping a tariff on Japan for exporting into the U.S. would provide a ton of economic relief in the U.S. This is completely undeniable, and you are denying it. You clearly have at least basic knowledge of how these things work, but you're leaving out the most important parts and tweaking things around to suit your preference and pretending that's the only way it works. It's disingenuous, and you know it.

I realize your bias, your hate for all things great in America, but be honest with yourself here and stop trying to win an unwinnable argument for the sake of not conceding.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Jason wrote:
showa58taro wrote:In other words, you can’t argue with my point so you pretend to just be superior de facto. Cool. Cool cool.
Well, ok. You asked for this...

You've pretty much gone out of your way to say that the nation of Japan doesn't even take in any revenue on the cars they make because they sell them within the U.S. and the U.S. takes all the revenue. It's impossible to argue with you. You will say off-the-wall shit, convince yourself you're right and never bend on the issue. It is undeniable (but of course, only you will find a way) that allowing foreign nations to sell their shit in America at competitive prices without any repercussions takes money out of the American economy. While you might not believe facts, slapping a tariff on Japan for exporting into the U.S. would provide a ton of economic relief in the U.S. This is completely undeniable, and you are denying it. You clearly have at least basic knowledge of how these things work, but you're leaving out the most important parts and tweaking things around to suit your preference and pretending that's the only way it works. It's disingenuous, and you know it.

I realize your bias, your hate for all things great in America, but be honest with yourself here and stop trying to win an unwinnable argument for the sake of not conceding.
In other words, you have nothing to bring.

Because to be absolutely clear, a tariff is paid by a US company, to import goods. It is not paid by a foreign company to sell into the country. So all tariffs and import fees that are imposed on Japanese goods, be it cars, beef, or steel, increase the domestic price of steel and make it likely that supply chains will look elsewhere for their steel, creating a non-competitive position for the company. But it does not create money going from Japan to the US. It makes US companies poorer and the US Government richer. That's all that happens. Your previous point about "Jepahn git money 4 car" or whatever condescending bullshit it was completely misses what you said to start which was "Japan is not charged import fees." There is no charging Japan import fees. That is not how trade works, you can't charge import fees on countries for anything anywhere. You can set tariffs that make your economy favour or disfavour certain types of product because your companies have to pay too much for it from foreign companies. But they are companies, not governments. The Japanese Government doesn't pay over a single cent for Honda to do anything. At its most basic your entire understanding of tariffs is equal to that of Donald Trump's, which is to say non-existent. At no point does he seem to grasp who pays tariffs and neither do you, as illustrated by your very clear choice of "Japan is not charged" as if this was a thing that can be rectified. Japan doesn't get tariffed. Japanese products can get tariffs levied against them to be paid by you, to you. There is no relief here on a single transaction, and any benefit comes from supply chain restructuring, which only works if there is a supply chain alternative within the US that can avoid having tariffs, which is what tends to not work very well when you start talking about anything other than raw products used in manufacturing, since there are not as many equivalents of finished goods. Someone wanting a sweet Honda vehicle won't settle for a shitty Dodge just because there are Tariffs. Instead they have to pay more for their Honda. Hence it being hugely counterproductive.

It also betrays your equally poor understanding of corporation tax in the US, even after Trump's massive hand-over of billions to companies to buy back their shares, and which has resulted in staggeringly low investment and only served to increase volatility and improve dividends. It did not significantly alter the continued investment. Because my point is that the US Government gets its share of Honda money for Honda cars sold in the US. No entity can sell their products in the US themselves without having a body in place to do so, and that body will be taxed on profits and pay the usual federal and local taxes (like sales taxes) exactly as any mom-and-pop local store would. Honda pays the same taxes as GM and Ford, on the same profits. I mean your choice of Honda is doubly stupid because Honda also manufactures cars in the US and has a pretty big production base and staff in the US. But pretending it was a company that just made stuff in Japan and put it on a boat to be sold in the US by some third party manufacturer, then again there is no revenue for Honda in the US and so it would not pay any taxes. But it also wouldn't affect the car sold to Mark in your example as Mark bought from some US dealership of exclusive foreign-only cars and they make a profit and pay tax on that profit. So you'd probably get a bigger share of the money here as the incentive to increase profits would be higher for that model of vehicle retail owing to the increased fluctuations in demand and a lack of risk diversification. So higher prices to cover these risks means higher profits and more taxes for the US. Plus jobs jobs jobs, which seems like a thing you'd care about.

I mean at its core one of your points was the tax breaks that help American companies, but you don't have a tax code that only prioritizes American companies. Instead it prioritizes all companies that do business in the US through any subsidiary, associate, joint venture or as a sole trader. Which means that Ford gets a tax break, but so too does Honda, and Toyota, and Ssanyong. They all get to pay the same taxes in the same regime. The tax change was not to favour "buy American" just as the tariffs are not ways to make other countries pay you money to get to access your market. The lower tax doesn't create incentive to have American jobs in American towns as a result of the tax regime. It's designed (badly) to allow repatriation of profits abroad and to restructure company portfolios and parent/subsidiary groups to recognize a greater proportion of revenue or expenditure in a specific country most of the time. What it actually has done is allow an influx of one-off transactions into the US to increase share buy-backs, thus increasing the share price artificially as there are fewer shares in circulation and so the profits effectively go to fewer participants, increasing the value of each share as it now gets a larger proportion of the profits after tax and dividends. That's what you are seeing, and it was not a shrewd economic more, particularly, and has served mainly to reduce in general terms the robustness of the US government as deficits have soared. Not that conservatives care about that anymore, but you know, it's fun to see hypocrisy rear its head once more.

And just to recycle right back to your very first post about how Amazon pays employees well because of lower taxes, literally none of that makes any sense as high employee paybill is a simple way to keep a leg up on competitors whilst also minimizing your tax burden, and is why they have such high carry-forward losses to utilize. What lowering their taxes does is not "free up money" for them. That's not what any company does. I've seen the biggest, I have seen the UK reduce corporation tax consistently. What I have not seen is more employees and more factories just because of tax. Because all tax is on corporate profits after deducting all expenses, and is by far one of the more interesting areas of accounting. Lowering tax rates allows a lot of interesting corporate behaviour, but one thing it does not drive is increased investment in staff or factories. Because there is not a shortage of capital in any group. Expansion is a given at any point where the market requires more. Profits does not drive the market for goods, and so does not drive the expansion into these markets. Put simply, if Coke thought it could sell more bottles of awesome, it would crank that shit out, no matter what the profits and taxes situation. Nobody stops selling goods because they worry their corporation tax bill will be a big higher. No company in history was driving their investment schedules based on their tax liability. Hence why I can say so categorically that your take is nonsense.

I feel this has been worth starting up a second laptop for. I look forward to your "Tl;Dr' reply or "yeah, but you don't get basics" reply.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

showa58taro wrote:In other words, you have nothing to bring.
lol. This is exactly what I'm talking about. You're only further proving my point that there is no arguing with you, because you shut off at any point that is true that you refuse to concede to.
showa58taro wrote:The Japanese Government doesn't pay over a single cent for Honda to do anything. At its most basic your entire understanding of tariffs is equal to that of Donald Trump's, which is to say non-existent. At no point does he seem to grasp who pays tariffs and neither do you, as illustrated by your very clear choice of "Japan is not charged" as if this was a thing that can be rectified. Japan doesn't get tariffed. Japanese products can get tariffs levied against them to be paid by you, to you. There is no relief here on a single transaction, and any benefit comes from supply chain restructuring, which only works if there is a supply chain alternative within the US that can avoid having tariffs, which is what tends to not work very well when you start talking about anything other than raw products used in manufacturing, since there are not as many equivalents of finished goods. Someone wanting a sweet Honda vehicle won't settle for a shitty Dodge just because there are Tariffs. Instead they have to pay more for their Honda. Hence it being hugely counterproductive.

It also betrays your equally poor understanding of corporation tax in the US, even after Trump's massive hand-over of billions to companies to buy back their shares, and which has resulted in staggeringly low investment and only served to increase volatility and improve dividends. It did not significantly alter the continued investment. Because my point is that the US Government gets its share of Honda money for Honda cars sold in the US. No entity can sell their products in the US themselves without having a body in place to do so, and that body will be taxed on profits and pay the usual federal and local taxes (like sales taxes) exactly as any mom-and-pop local store would. Honda pays the same taxes as GM and Ford, on the same profits. I mean your choice of Honda is doubly stupid because Honda also manufactures cars in the US and has a pretty big production base and staff in the US. But pretending it was a company that just made stuff in Japan and put it on a boat to be sold in the US by some third party manufacturer, then again there is no revenue for Honda in the US and so it would not pay any taxes. But it also wouldn't affect the car sold to Mark in your example as Mark bought from some US dealership of exclusive foreign-only cars and they make a profit and pay tax on that profit. So you'd probably get a bigger share of the money here as the incentive to increase profits would be higher for that model of vehicle retail owing to the increased fluctuations in demand and a lack of risk diversification. So higher prices to cover these risks means higher profits and more taxes for the US. Plus jobs jobs jobs, which seems like a thing you'd care about.

I mean at its core one of your points was the tax breaks that help American companies, but you don't have a tax code that only prioritizes American companies. Instead it prioritizes all companies that do business in the US through any subsidiary, associate, joint venture or as a sole trader. Which means that Ford gets a tax break, but so too does Honda, and Toyota, and Ssanyong. They all get to pay the same taxes in the same regime. The tax change was not to favour "buy American" just as the tariffs are not ways to make other countries pay you money to get to access your market. The lower tax doesn't create incentive to have American jobs in American towns as a result of the tax regime. It's designed (badly) to allow repatriation of profits abroad and to restructure company portfolios and parent/subsidiary groups to recognize a greater proportion of revenue or expenditure in a specific country most of the time. What it actually has done is allow an influx of one-off transactions into the US to increase share buy-backs, thus increasing the share price artificially as there are fewer shares in circulation and so the profits effectively go to fewer participants, increasing the value of each share as it now gets a larger proportion of the profits after tax and dividends. That's what you are seeing, and it was not a shrewd economic more, particularly, and has served mainly to reduce in general terms the robustness of the US government as deficits have soared. Not that conservatives care about that anymore, but you know, it's fun to see hypocrisy rear its head once more.
Thanks. I never said that in any way, nor did I imply it, but please continue to spin everything to suit your agenda. To pretend a tariff on Japanese auto companies would not affect their economy is to lie.

I appreciate the half-honest lesson on things I already know, but you are doing everything I said that you do in my last post. You are manipulating things I say and twisting them to go on a tirade that suits your own opinion and then bitch about Trump with it. Of course the U.S. is getting money from exporters. What you refuse to acknowledge is the fact that a ton of money goes from the consumer's pocket in the United States to the producing nation. Instead of denying that, you're flat out ignoring it now. That is the exact point I have been making all along, and look at the great lengths you've gone to avoid that and rant about tariffs and Orange Man Bad.

I am going to test your honesty, here. Since you know all and I am just a feeble-minded Trump supporter, I have a yes/no question for you. Please just answer yes or no:
If the United States were to slap auto tariffs on Japanese automakers, would that be damaging to Japan's economy? Yes or no...
showa58taro wrote:And just to recycle right back to your very first post about how Amazon pays employees well because of lower taxes, literally none of that makes any sense as high employee paybill is a simple way to keep a leg up on competitors whilst also minimizing your tax burden, and is why they have such high carry-forward losses to utilize. What lowering their taxes does is not "free up money" for them. That's not what any company does. I've seen the biggest, I have seen the UK reduce corporation tax consistently. What I have not seen is more employees and more factories just because of tax. Because all tax is on corporate profits after deducting all expenses, and is by far one of the more interesting areas of accounting. Lowering tax rates allows a lot of interesting corporate behaviour, but one thing it does not drive is increased investment in staff or factories. Because there is not a shortage of capital in any group. Expansion is a given at any point where the market requires more. Profits does not drive the market for goods, and so does not drive the expansion into these markets. Put simply, if Coke thought it could sell more bottles of awesome, it would crank that shit out, no matter what the profits and taxes situation. Nobody stops selling goods because they worry their corporation tax bill will be a big higher. No company in history was driving their investment schedules based on their tax liability. Hence why I can say so categorically that your take is nonsense.
There you go again, spinning things to suit how you want to view them. Never did I say amazon pays their employees well because of lower taxes. I said they pay their employees pretty well in general, regardless of what they are taxed, and freeing up money would allow them to expand factories within the U.S.. You twist that one little thing and go on a giant tirade of nonsense. You say you haven't seen more companies expanding and hiring people in the U.K. because of lowered taxes, but I have seen it in America. If you've now resorted yourself to relying on anecdotes, we could do that all day long too.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Man, it’s depressing to watch you quote a section that undermines your point to only reinforce that point. Tragic.

No.

No, tariffs on Japanese automajers would not harm the Japanese economy. The Japanese economy would be unaffected. American companies and consumers are affected.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

If you truly believe that, then there is no argument here.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Jason wrote:If you truly believe that, then there is no argument here.
Illustrate why you disagree with me with an example.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

showa58taro wrote:
Jason wrote:If you truly believe that, then there is no argument here.
Illustrate why you disagree with me with an example.
Why, so you can spin anything I bring up to suit your beliefs? :p

Trump and Japan recently ceased talks on tariffs a few months back. Let me find an article.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Is Reuters considered neutral? I truly have no idea. I hardly read news media articles and don't follow Reuters at all, but it's the first article that came up.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1M62Q9

"U.S. President Donald Trump and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe agreed on Wednesday to start trade talks in an arrangement that, for now, protects Japanese automakers from further tariffs, seen as a major threat to the export-dependent economy.

The latest framework appeared designed to allow both parties to save face: Abe avoids the worst-case scenario of an imminent 25 percent tariff on cars, while Trump claims victory for getting Japan to a two-way negotiating table.

Tokyo had worried that Trump could demand a reduction in auto imports from Japan or that he could impose steep tariffs on such imports on national security grounds.

“If you just look at what was agreed this time, Japan did extremely well,” said Junichi Sugawara, senior research officer at Mizuho Research Institute. “But at the end of the day, this is just the entry-way into any final agreement and we have to remember that there is a possibility that (Japan) could be hurt very badly in the end,” he said.

Abe said that, under the latest arrangement, the United States would not impose additional tariffs on the auto sector while the trade talks were underway.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

It still doesn’t seem to prove your point or undermine mine.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

At no point is the global economy not going to affect Japan. But it’s not the tariffs that do them any harm. Hence why I wanted you to show your work. My guess is:

Tariffs imposed
US manufacturers create a Honda replica
???????
Loss
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

LMAO. Stop.
showa58taro
Administrator