Phantasm

Strange happenings have occurred at Morningside Mortuary
Beware The Tall Man and his fury
But most of all, beware his balls
zombie
Administrator

Phantasm

Post by zombie »

not one of the big three (elm street, halloween, friday the 13th) but arguably holds better as a series / franchise. definitely among my favorites.
Last edited by zombie on Sun May 21, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
showa58taro
Administrator

Re: Phantasm

Post by showa58taro »

Big three is surely Leprechaun, Hellraiser and Wishmaster???

Kidding.

I wonder why Tall Man has t gotten the cult recognition of a Freddy or Jason. Is it maybe the lack of a singular pronoun.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i think that he does have cult recognition though? There have been figures made, and videogame character skins, and the like. it's not as widespread as freddy or michael myers, but i definitely see it. it's more of a cult recognition than a mainstream general recognition.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Phantasm is incredibly solid. Even the weak ones are still good.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Phantasm is incredibly solid. Even the weak ones are still good.
Like Hellraiser, then. ;)
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

I need to watch 3,4 and Ravager. I might of seen 3 and 4 but I have no recollection of them.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Phantasm 1, 2, and 3 are all above average. 4 might be hovering between average/below average. Have not seen 5.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Lunachic
Charter Member

Post by Lunachic »

zombie wrote:not one of the big three (elm street, halloween, friday the 13th) but arguably holds better as a series / franchise. definitely among my favorites.
Completely agree Z
Lunachic
Charter Member

Post by Lunachic »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Phantasm is incredibly solid. Even the weak ones are still good.
Right on
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Definitely the best franchise in terms of continuity. Writer/Director and stars have a vested interest in keeping the legacy alive and respecting previous entrees.

It is a shame budgets have fallen since part 2, as it really could have been special if that continued.
flyingspider

Post by flyingspider »

I have not seen any of these, with all I am reading here, should I bother? I like horror enough, that is why I am here, but if it is going to suck, even I can find something else to do with my time.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

flyingspider wrote:I have not seen any of these, with all I am reading here, should I bother? I like horror enough, that is why I am here, but if it is going to suck, even I can find something else to do with my time.
Phantasm is pretty universally loved here. I don't think anyone has ever badmouthed a single installment on HMF. Even the lesser sequels tend to be considered above average at worst.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

flyingspider wrote:I have not seen any of these, with all I am reading here, should I bother? I like horror enough, that is why I am here, but if it is going to suck, even I can find something else to do with my time.
It's my second favorite horror franchise, behind Evil Dead and ahead of Friday the 13th. The first four are perfect, IMO. The last one was meh, and seemed pointless. The ending of four closed up the series just fine, so Ravager was an unnecessary sequel with too much shit cgi for my liking.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i recommend at least giving the first one a watch, and see if you want to continue with the sequels. not sure what you read, here, that gave you pause about the first four. maybe ravager, i could see having doubts about though.
Ava
Charter Member

Post by Ava »

I've always loved the uniqueness of it. Especially the first one. It didn't feel like what was all over the place playing. I remember as a kid sitting slack jawed staring at the screen impressed by the ball going down the hallway. I've definitely got my favorites but I adore them all.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Part 2 has a chainsaw duel, which in itself is quite possibly the finest thing in all of cinematic history.
Lunachic
Charter Member

Post by Lunachic »

oh my
DAEBO
Charter Member

Post by DAEBO »

That is what I was going to say.
dave626

Post by dave626 »

Ravager was interesting to say the least. No spoilers, but it was definitely a trip. Then again, that's the point of this franchise. To screw with your mind. Can't wait til it becomes officially released on Blu Ray. That one I will own.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

dave626 wrote:Ravager was interesting to say the least. No spoilers, but it was definitely a trip. Then again, that's the point of this franchise. To screw with your mind. Can't wait til it becomes officially released on Blu Ray. That one I will own.
They released it on blu ray. I bought the full box set with all 5 at Best Buy for 50 bucks or so.