Greta Van Fleet

Rock, Country, Rap, Classical, Oldies, German Industrial. Anything you fancy sharing with us.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Re: New Rock & Roll Band Recently Hit the Scene

Post by Reign in Blood »

I've said it more than once, Plant's Aersosmtih thing was a total joke. Nobody get hung up on that.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Jason wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:
Jason wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:
Jason wrote:I bang them all equally.

Check out that 26 minute live Lover, Leaver performance and tell me that ain't among the best shit you've ever heard.
It ain't. They're really not doing anything for me. Everything I've listened to just sounds like a decent Zep cover band playing songs I've never heard before. Maybe it's why I'm not into John Bonomassa either, too much of a throwback. Hopefully they age better than John because he's just stuck in the same dad-blues-rock blandness he broke out with.
What Zeppelin song does A Change Is Gonna Come sound like?
Here, I'll copy and paste exactly what I said, and bold it above: "playing songs I've never heard before". Where it that sounds like I said specific songs sounded like specific songs? No where. It's their overall sound and style, which they apparently deny: https://www.iheart.com/content/2018-04- ... influence/
Lol. That article is written with so much butthurt. If you actually watch the interview, Plant was generally warm to them and the "eyeroll" was obviously Plant joking. People are clearly going out of their way to not like them. But that has been the dividing point between rock fans with this band so far. "They sound too much like Led Zeppelin" or "rock and roll is back, can't wait to see these guys to evolve". No matter what they sound like, they will always have the haters in the background whining about their sound and stealing from Led Zeppelin. Oh, the hypocrisy.

We're living in an era where rock and roll has been dead for years, a young rock and roll band rises from out of nowhere and now people are mad because they sound similar to Led Zeppelin in some of their songs. As if sounding like Led Zeppelin is all of a sudden a bad thing. lol. "But but the singer said he likes Steven Tyler!" Cry me a fuckin' river, babies.
I'm aware Plant is warm to them. The whole point of the link is them denying their obvious influence.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Jason's getting angry!
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jason wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:There is no trapping, I walked by the room, looked in, walked on. Keep coming back because some monkey in here keeps telling me to, but nothing new here :P
You can check out any time you'd like, son.
...but I can never leave *cue solo*
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Fucking hell. They're making a "Case" on it, and will bet getting back to me in 2-3 days.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:I'm aware Plant is warm to them. The whole point of the link is them denying their obvious influence.
By cracking a joke about Steven Tyler?

They know they sound like Zeppelin. And I have little doubt that Zeppelin is a huge influence, but they don't want to be known as the band that sounds like Led Zeppelin. And rightfully so. They're doing their own shit, writing their own songs and generating their own sound that is built through their influences. Ironically, just as Zeppelin did with Joan Baez, Robert Johnson, Willie Dixon, John Lee Hooker, etc...

End of the day, I dig the shit out of nearly every song they've released so far. They have a few weaker tracks for sure, but they came out of nowhere and I am high on them.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

What's with the rumor that they're a corporate band? Like put together the way a company hand picks to make a boy band? Has anybody else heard that one? I see it all the time brought up in the messages every time Guitar World and the like posts about them. Of course none of it's backed up, but I'm perplexed at how many believe it.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:What's with the rumor that they're a corporate band? Like put together the way a company hand picks to make a boy band? Has anybody else heard that one? I see it all the time brought up in the messages every time Guitar World and the like posts about them. Of course none of it's backed up, but I'm perplexed at how many believe it.
Never heard that rumor. I don't see how it could be true. The entire band talked about their family always having campfires and singing songs throughout their childhood, which actually inspired the Black Smoke Rising song, and the entire theme for their first EP. The drummer is the only non-family member of the rest of the band, but he is lifelong best friends with the bassist and was always there during jam sessions. Their family and especially their Dad are all huge lovers of music and it's stuck with them, and it shows.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Downloaded. Played a couple times. It’s fine I guess. It sounds like Led Zeppelin which I had so little care about that I thought the lead singer was genuinely named Led. So I guess it wasn’t for me as such but at least Jason can be happy I tried I suppose. Will keep it on the phone, it’s easy enough to listen to, but forgettable. A bit like elevator music done well.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

showa58taro wrote:A bit like elevator music done well.
Dayum! Someone console Jason.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Reign in Blood wrote:
showa58taro wrote:A bit like elevator music done well.
Dayum! Someone console Jason.
Lol. I’m sure he values my 3 artist loving taste so much. At least I downloaded and played them. Should give them some cash.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Who is the third?
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

Reign in Blood wrote:Who is the third?
Yeah to be fair there’s only really two. :D I was thinking I could count Amon Amarth the Viking metal band but they are not on the same level of following as Metallica and Rammstein.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

I know Seb meant "elevating music", so I am OK with his assessment.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:I know Seb meant "elevating music", so I am OK with his assessment.
well, they do call it a "lift". so maybe you're onto something. :P
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

zombie wrote:
Jason wrote:I know Seb meant "elevating music", so I am OK with his assessment.
well, they do call it a "lift". so maybe you're onto something. :P
That is some grade-A wordplay.

I figure my 31.2 cents is probably more than they’d have expected.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

What kind of elevator music do you get over there? Ours is like 8-bit Kenny G shit...
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Oh, shit. I got a story for you bros about elevator music.

My local grocery store that I've been going to for like 26 years has played elevator music every day that I've ever went in there. That peaceful, umbrella-in-your-drink, relaxing-in-the-sun type shit. Makes Barry Manilow seem like heavy metal. Anyway, I'm in there about a week ago and they got fucking Rocky IV going. No Easy Way Out, and I'm walking around the store thinking I'm in the fuckin' Twilight Zone and shit.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

So I was playing the new album with some peeps who haven't heard them before last night, and one dude in particular was making cheese jokes (cheese to go with lead singers whine), and I couldn't bust balls back too much as there are instances of that, high-pitched whiny-ness. Didn't get that so much from the Black Smoke Rising tunes.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

What kind of music is your buddy/relative into?