May

The classics, be it Nosferatu or Last House on the Left.
Forum rules
If you want heavy moderation, this place isn't for you.
zombie
Administrator

May

Post by zombie »

cause it is a classic, of course. :P and it deserves more recognition and watching.
showa58taro
Administrator

Re: May

Post by showa58taro »

What is it about May that makes it a classic in your eyes?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i think that may should be considered a horror classic because of angela bettis performance as the title character. because of the tension building to a roaring bubble. because of the choice of score and songs that really compliment the story being told. it's a strange, quirky, uncomfortable horror flick and it's underrated and underseen. i don't want to give too much away but it's kind of a mix of carrie and frankenstein, in a way, so give it a watch, dammit! :P
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

May be I will.

I know of it but never saw it. Do you think the title makes it harder to sell though?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i guess it could be argued that the title doesn't do much to catch attention. it's the name of the main character though. it's not without purpose or anything.

and there is a wes craven quote featured on the dvd back cover ("startling, compelling, and truly original"), which could help to sell the flick.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

I think it's one of those ones where it does in theory follow the name like Carrie, but May seems quite the friendly name. Nothing horrifying about it. I would totally think twice if I just saw the DVD spine with that name, or saw it on a Netflix listing. Which does it a disservice in this case.
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

Didn't she play Carrie in the 2002 version? She was very good at playing an insecure, nervous wreck. Very likable. Not familiar with May but I'll have to check it out.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

she did, in fact, play carrie in the 2002 tv movie, and was the same year she did may. (though i'm not sure which was done first)

as to the name thing, i get that it could be a disservice if you're looking for something really eyecatching in the title... but what grabs you about annabelle or carrie, as just a title of the movie? (i'm sure there are other examples, horror-wise, but i'm blanking at the moment)
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

I remember liking it (it was after all Reign and I's first watch together, lol) but I have felt no urge to rewatch it since, and it's been over 10 years.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

what about it is dissuading you or not catching your interest again to give a rewatch? just out of curiosity.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Just felt no desire to rewatch. I liked it but didn't find it *THAT* good. I didn't think Bettis was that amazing in it (though, it's the best I've seen of her), it's "quirk" isn't my flavor. Just has no rewatch factor for me.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

much like dead alive or black christmas, i guess may is just not gonna be for everyone to appreciate. :P
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

zombie wrote:much like dead alive or black christmas, i guess may is just not gonna be for everyone to appreciate. :P
Don't just take it, Z. Fight him. He's wrong!
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

showa58taro wrote:
zombie wrote:much like dead alive or black christmas, i guess may is just not gonna be for everyone to appreciate. :P
he is wrong, but he's entitled to it. :P
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

also, may seems to be mocking the manic pixie dream girl movie trope (like zooey deschanel and such), with the lead character. so maybe that would generate more interest to those that wanna give it a go. :P
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Never seen it, and despite it being on my "horror movies to see" list, I probably never will, just to spite zombie.
:D
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

spiting me is a valid option, i guess. though it does kind of work against your plan to watch every horror movie ever. :P
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

showa58taro wrote:
Nada!
Ava
Charter Member

Post by Ava »

I've seen May only once.
I remember liking something to do with a freezer and the ending. All that stuck with me.