Watching the Friday the 13th Franchise, with Jason

There's a legend around here. A killer buried, but not dead.
A curse on Crystal Lake. A death curse. Jason Voorhees' curse.
Few have seen him and lived. Some have even tried to stop him... No one can.
Jason
Administrator

Watching the Friday the 13th Franchise, with Jason

Post by Jason »

Because unlike Jiggy, I won't half ass the event, and I'll actually finish what I started!
Spoiler

Starting tonight, I will begin with the original Friday the 13th and work my way through the entire franchise, including Freddy vs. Jason and the remake, giving an in-depth review of each film. Aside from maybe the remake, I have probably viewed every film at least 20 times. It is important to remember that these reviews aren't coming from a famous blogger on the internet or a youtube star with 10 million subscribers, where they tend to be casual fans at best. They are coming from a seasoned and wise viewer, whose first journey with the franchise began as a youngster on a weekly bike ride to the video store to rent them all on VHS. After seeing the franchise so many times, I have picked up on minuscule things and patterns here and there throughout many of the films that may or may not have even been deliberately placed there by the film-makers. A sign of an excellent horror franchise is how mysterious it can remain after so many decades and new generations of film. In my opinion, Friday the 13th is the overall greatest franchise in movie history, and for the first time, I will be giving them all an in-depth review right here in this thread, and possibly presenting patterns and theories that you may have never heard of before.

Friday the 13th (1980) is tonight.
Foo
Administrator

Re: Watching the Friday the 13th Franchise, with Jason

Post by Foo »

Sweet!
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i think i'll join you. and maybe watch pt. 6 for the first time too. (unless the copy at the library here is too scratched to work. :P)
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:i think i'll join you. and maybe watch pt. 6 for the first time too. (unless the copy at the library here is too scratched to work. :P)
I welcome all!

Is it pure disinterest that shied you away from ever watching the entire franchise? Is part 6 the only one you haven't seen?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

yeah, part 6 is the only one i haven't seen. awhile back, there were more. (2-5 as well) but i've since watched them. i hadn't watched six yet, as kind of a running joke. cause i also haven't halloween 6, so yeah. it's dumb but oh well. :P

i might not be able to watch jason takes manhattan or jason goes to hell either. unless i can dig them up on youtube, but i have seen those before.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

You gonna review them too, or just watch them?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i'm probably gonna review them too. and look for anything interesting i can try to start a convo about. i'm not gonna use number or letter rankings though.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Me neither, but I will probably rank them all in order and rank every Jason, as well.

Over the years, with every viewing of the franchise, the order of my favorite films changes less and less.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i can probably rank the jason's too. but i'm not gonna get into debate or defense of how i ranked them. :P
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Already like 2/3rds into the first movie, lol. Alli's going to the store after so there's a break before pt. 2
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:i can probably rank the jason's too. but i'm not gonna get into debate or defense of how i ranked them. :P
I am not entirely sure of the general consensus for a couple of these Jasons. I might get some flack for one or two being too low, maybe.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Already like 2/3rds into the first movie, lol. Alli's going to the store after so there's a break before pt. 2
I'm starting within 30 minutes. Likely gonna fit in 2 & 3 tonight, as well.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

gonna try to start right around 9 colorado time, so probably near to when jason is too.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:gonna try to start right around 9 colorado time, so probably near to when jason is too.
Got about 15 minutes in and had a little stomach pain on the right side. Was slightly concerned, but ultimately hoped I was a little bloated from too much liquid at once or something. So I took a 20 minute break because it was distracting me from the movie. Let out a nice long fart and a few minutes later the pain went away completely. AND NOW I'M BACK IN THE GAME!
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:gonna try to start right around 9 colorado time, so probably near to when jason is too.
Got about 15 minutes in and had a little stomach pain on the right side. Was slightly concerned, but ultimately hoped I was a little bloated from too much liquid at once or something. So I took a 20 minute break because it was distracting me from the movie. Let out a nice long fart and a few minutes later the pain went away completely. AND NOW I'M BACK IN THE GAME!
That story was better than the cumulative scripts of parts 7-X.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Not sure if I ever told this story, but I'll tell it now. I was gonna put it in as an aside in my review of the movie, but I will just tell it now before the review.

About 13 or 14 years ago or so, a fellow horror message board owner and I were in touch with Ron Millkie, who plays Officer Dorf, the motorcycle cop in the original Friday the 13th. These were the days when message boards reigned supreme, as there was no facebook, twitter, or even myspace yet. We helped Ron set up a proboard message forum of his own so he could interact with fans. We'd chat on his forum from time to time, but after a while he wasn't online very much and the forum never really got popular. Haven't talked to him since.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i don't really know what to say about this one. i remember liking it better than i do upon this watch. but there is really nothing there. sean cunningham is kind of a terrible director. :P and the script felt like a guide only, honestly.

the music was decent and the kills were okay. i wish they'd have been more consistent with mrs. voorhees' character. all through out the film she's an unstoppable force and then she has to resort to trying to slap alice around at the end. i don't know. if ever there could be a case made for nostalgia factor being the main draw, this would definitely have to rank high up there.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

American Giallo
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

jason's appearance at the end did make for a decent scene though. they didn't do anything to hide that it was all built around a scare though. (but i guess the carrie scene that inspired didn't really try to hide that either, so yeah)