88%
1, 2, H20, Resurrection
13%

Total votes: 8

Jason
Administrator

Halloween Timeline

Post by Jason »

Which timeline would you take from the original 8 movies? We're obviously ignoring Season of the Witch, here. But I'm sure everyone knows that there are two timelines. Both timelines involve the first two movies, but with 4, 5, and 6 we get the power of the thorn weirdness and with 7 & 8 (which ignores 4, 5, and 6) we get Jamie Lee Curtis back with one of the worst final movies to a franchise in Resurrection.

Both have their pros and cons for me, but I think I'm going with 4, 5, and 6, with the deciding factor being my preference of a Loomis era storyline over Jamie Lee Curtis. No matter how shit the thorn movies were, particularly 5 and 6, Loomis had a charm about him that raises those films for me. H20 would've been a far more ideal ending to the franchise, but with Resurrection coming along, I just can't bring myself to choose that timeline.

Thorn > Dangertainment
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Re: Halloween Timeline

Post by Jigsaw »

Easy vote for the Thorn era. I don't care for the sixth film (though I've yet to see the producer's cut), but the fifth film has grown on me, and I've always been a big fan of the fourth.

I used to like H20, but the last time I saw it, I was vastly underwhelmed. And Resurrection? Well, I've not seen that one in a long time, but I always don't feel like I'm missing out on much. :P
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

The Producer's Cut and The Theatrical Cut for part 6 are almost entirely different films, but ultimately even out in terms of preference. I don't know which I prefer overall. To sum it up, the Producer's Cut did a way better job of filling in the blanks and making sense of the story and shit that happens in certain scenes, but the ending is completely different from the theatrical. I prefer the theatrical ending in that regard, for sure. Overall I guess I'm 50/50 on it.

There is a bonus feature on The Producer's Cut blu ray that has an interview with Danielle Harris. She explains why she didn't do part 6 and the cluster fuck of shit that went down is mind-boggling and hilarious. Must be seen by all.
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

Let's see, Donald Pleasence or fucking Busta Rhymes... :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

LL Cool J was p. cool in H20, though.

Every time I marathon this franchise and I get nearer to Resurrection, I start to get more and more pissed at it. :p
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

it it cheating to go 4-6, if i haven't actually seen pt. 6? :P
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

Jason wrote:LL Cool J was p. cool in H20, though.

Every time I marathon this franchise and I get nearer to Resurrection, I start to get more and more pissed at it. :p
I remember back in '97, me and a buddy made a drinking game out of every time LL licked his lips. I cannot remember what movie it was, but that fucker licked his lips 127 fucking times. I mean, if I had lips like his, I'd show then off too, but damn man....... :lol:
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

zombie wrote:it it cheating to go 4-6, if i haven't actually seen pt. 6? :P
No, but you should be proud. 6 is horrible. I'd rather watch Busta go to work on Mikey for 90 minutes than see that movie again.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Headhunter wrote:
zombie wrote:it it cheating to go 4-6, if i haven't actually seen pt. 6? :P
No, but you should be proud. 6 is horrible. I'd rather watch Busta go to work on Mikey for 90 minutes than see that movie again.
cool. i can live with "proud". :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

1, 3, 2, 7, 4, 6, 5, 8
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

i will not do a ranking, so as not to offend jason or anyone else. :P
dave626

Post by dave626 »

I have to say 1-2, H20-8 for the first 20 minutes. 4 was good for me, but 5 and 6 went down a steep hill. Laurie's story was always best, which is why I am stoked for this new one. The one that got away. No family, just insanity.
CrazyRalphLives
Charter Member

Post by CrazyRalphLives »

Jason wrote:Which timeline would you take from the original 8 movies? We're obviously ignoring Season of the Witch, here. But I'm sure everyone knows that there are two timelines. Both timelines involve the first two movies, but with 4, 5, and 6 we get the power of the thorn weirdness and with 7 & 8 (which ignores 4, 5, and 6) we get Jamie Lee Curtis back with one of the worst final movies to a franchise in Resurrection.

Both have their pros and cons for me, but I think I'm going with 4, 5, and 6, with the deciding factor being my preference of a Loomis era storyline over Jamie Lee Curtis. No matter how shit the thorn movies were, particularly 5 and 6, Loomis had a charm about him that raises those films for me. H20 would've been a far more ideal ending to the franchise, but with Resurrection coming along, I just can't bring myself to choose that timeline.

Thorn > Dangertainment
I'm going with Thorn on this one.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

I figured Thorn would win but I thought it would be like 60-40. lol
Kwik Kash

Post by Kwik Kash »

Thorn.

H20 looks good on paper, and when I first saw it years ago it was great. But nowadays, H20 strikes me as kind of bland. Resurrection, while the worst in my opinion, is such a goofy and silly film - it entertains, like a train wreck.

H4 is decent fanfare, even if the mask is jarring to look at. H5 is mediocre to me, but it still tries to be somewhat serious, unlike Resurrection. It has a mess of swerves and plots though. H6 is a guilty pleasure of mine. Loomis is a lot better portrayed here than in 5, and Michael's mask is way better looking here than 4 or 5. The atmosphere, to me, feels very Fall/Autumn, in several scenes. And H6 has some great kills.

After H4, the series is a mess. That is undeniable.
" The best way to keep one's word is to never give it. "
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

I personally think the 5th movie has a decent amount of atmosphere going for it, and while I didn't necessarily love where the story took it, I did like the mystery of the men in suits and the ending of the film.

Not a great movie, despite the BIG COOKIE WOMAN, but I find I generally have fun with it. Definitely nowhere near as good as the first, second, third, or fourth movies, though.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

1, 3, 2, 4, H20, 6, 5, 8.

The newest Halloween (2018) would be somewhere near 4. Possibly above, possibly below.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Jason wrote:1, 3, 2, 7, 4, 6, 5, 8
Oh, I did this already. :p

My newest list has H20 behind 4. I made the list I quoted after rewatching the franchise. But I tend to remember 4 in a better light than H20.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

It's been a little while since I've seen H20, but from what I remember from my last rewatch, I found it vastly inferior to the fourth film, which probably makes sense, as I find the fourth film one of the best in the series.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Jason wrote:
Jason wrote:1, 3, 2, 7, 4, 6, 5, 8
Oh, I did this already. :p

My newest list has H20 behind 4. I made the list I quoted after rewatching the franchise. But I tend to remember 4 in a better light than H20.
Maybe you dig H20 so much because it would blend in with CW shows like Supernatch.