Watching Supernatural wit Jiggy

TV Series, Made for TV Movies. Netflix and Chill selections, whatever the cultural phenomenon that is Game of Thrones is.
Forum rules
People persecuting you? Being mean about your favourite show? Don't just take it, lawyer up. Better Call Saul
Jason
Administrator

Re: Watching Supernatural wit Jiggy

Post by Jason »

Jigsaw wrote:
Jason wrote:But most importantly, what do you think of the music?
You'll love this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Supernatural/c ... n_netflix/

First season of Supernatural changed a lot of their music. When I found this out on the episode "Skins," I re-watched sequences from previous episodes online, and will watch the first season online via DVD rips and not Netflix. After the first season, though, everything's good from my understanding.

AC/DC, Rush, Black Sabbath, Iron Butterfly, and (randomly) Fall Out Boy - what's not to love? :P

Ava wrote: Not gonna say more and spoil for Jig.
Appreciate that, Ava. *thumbs up*

One thing I missed about "Skin" - the special effects were brutally brutal. When the guy was pealing his skin off, that was harsh stuff.
That Fall Out Boy song was not random. The scene that featured it was focusing on teenage girls, and that is the music they were listening to in 2005.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Jigsaw wrote:
Jason wrote:But most importantly, what do you think of the music?
You'll love this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Supernatural/c ... n_netflix/
God, I hate netflix. I fucking hate netflix.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

I listen to Fall Out Boy today. Does that make me a teenage girl? :P
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Season 1, Episode 7 "Hook Man"

Absolutely loved this one. Thought the story was great. When the minister got attacked by the Hook Man, that was solidly done. And when the ghost is dragging his hook against the wall, it was suspenseful. Perhaps one of my favorite episodes thus far, the horror movie atmosphere of this one worked extraordinarily well.

Quite amusing how they got arrested (which will happen many more times, I have to imagine). Origin of Jacob Karns (Hookman) was quite fun, as was the episode as a whole. Still haven't found their father yet (which I still fully expect before the halfway point of the season), but a great episode nonetheless.

Season 1, Episode 8 "Bugs"

Another solid episode with a solid story, Bugs showed some strong differences between Sam and Dean in relation to their feelings of their father. Dean, the older son, is far more obedient (and, as we learned in Skins, somewhat jealous that Sam got to go to college), and thinks that following the words of their father is key. Sam felt as though their father wasn't as amazing as Dean makes him out to be (though apparently he did check up on Sam secretly while he was at Stanford), which leads to an interesting clash.

Onto the horror aspect, that spider shower scene scared the fuck out of me. That was terrifying. I could do without ever seeing that again. I was deeply amused that Sam and Dean were twice thought to be a gay couple. Good stuff. As was the story of how the white man kills the Native Americans. Can't blame the tribal chief for wanting revenge after his people were decimated like that.

One problem, though, is that toward the end, it seems that Sam and Dean get there around midnight, with the curse supposedly ending at sunrise. But it seems like just ten minutes past before they're up in the attic and the sun comes up. It felt way too rushed, and I don't think they did a great job of showing hours pass while bunkered in against the swarm of insects. Aside from that error, it was a good watch.

"Bow-hunting's an important skill" indeed.

Season 1, Episode 9 "Home"

Well, Dean now knows Sam occasionally dreams about the future, so that cat's out of the bag. Feel bad that Dean's so uncomfortable about going back home - you could tell throughout this whole episode that he felt off and moderately subdued.

That scene with the garbage disposal was absolutely intense and brutal. Loved it.

Missouri is a very fun character, and especially with helping at the father at the end, I'm hoping that she comes back as the series progresses. Great personality, and would love to see her interact more with both Sam and Dean.

I don't love the whole sequence with their ghost mother helping defeat the evil that was going after Sam, but I get why it was necessary. The whole John (their father) being there the whole time, though, was a jaw-dropper. I wonder what truth he's after. And I wonder how long it'll exactly be until Sam and Dean actually run into him. A solid, more personal, episode, but not my favorite.

Season 1, Episode 10 "Asylum"

It felt a little generic, but I still got a kick out of this episode. It had a solid horror feel, a brutal beginning, some decent mystery, and again, some good personal disagreements between Sam and Dean regarding their father (who, though seen last episode unknown to Sam and Dead, sort of confirms he's alive to the both of them via a text).

Of course, Dean again shows his support of their father's agenda: "Dad's telling us to go somewhere. We're going." He later says that of course they "have to follow dad's orders" - his loyalty really gets him the extra cookies. :P

Loved their ruse to get the cop to talk. Seemed very Better Call Saul, and it was great.

Playing Gavin was a young Nicholas D'Agosto, who appeared as Harvey Dent a bit in Gotham. Not that important, but he was sort of interesting to see.

The whole sequence in the asylum was decently fun, from a crazy doctor ghost and (harmless) spirits of patients popping up, but it did feel more than a little "been there, done that." Fun story about patients rioting against the doctor, still. The "just a friendly request" line got a good chuckle from me, also.

Been apparently six months since Jesse's death and the Pilot. Time sure does fly.

That ending episode - I almost wonder if, upon hearing it's Sam and not Dean, he'll hang up, but I doubt it.

Next up, Scarecrow.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

A little mood music for the Scarecrow episode...

Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

God damnit, Jiggy, you pos. Can you finish one thing ONE THING for God's sake? (you pos)

:p
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Jason wrote:God damnit, Jiggy, you pos. Can you finish one thing ONE THING for God's sake? (you pos)

:p
Yes. I just need to take the time and write out my thoughts. I'll try to get it done today after work. :!:
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

:mrgreen:
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

I still haven't seen past season 11. I assume Netflix has added at least season 12 by now.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Monster wrote:I still haven't seen past season 11. I assume Netflix has added at least season 12 by now.
NetFlix has Seasons 1 through 13 at the moment.
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

Sweet
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Season 1, Episode 11 "Scarecrow"

Fantastic episode. Nice to see Indiana representing one of the finest episodes thus far despite being a shitty state. :P

Great beginning and creepy-ass scarecrow. Also important is their father's message to "stop looking for me," causing a rift between Sam and Dean, as Sam wants to ignore the order, and Dean's purpose in life is to do whatever their father says. I loved how quickly Dean buckled. Sam's arguing, asking questions, and Dean gets the phone - seconds later: "Yes, sir." :lol:

Apparently a demon killed their mother, and the father's on it's trail, and doesn't want to involve either Sam or Dean. We'll see how long that lasts.

On a side-note, when Indiana is portrayed as dismal and dull, having lived here for most of my life, I can confirm.

So, Dean and Sam split up (for a single episode), which is a somewhat fun dynamic. Meg is hella cute, and I'd have tapped that so fast (which, given the end, would perhaps be a mistake). I never really felt she was shady, so the end sort of took me by surprise.

Before that, though, Sam and Dean eventually get back together and Dean agrees to continue looking for their father despite his father wanting otherwise.

And before that, Dean deals with the hella-scary scarecrow, who is apparently a pagan God who this small Indiana town sacrifices humans too to keep their harvest a-harvesting. Very Wicker Man-ish, so I approve.

William B. Davis was suspicious from the get-go, but it was certainly nice to see him in his cameo appearance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlNtKqm1Bm4 Solid line there from Dean.

So, Meg is apparently an agent of some Demon, probably the same one their father is hunting. Somewhat glad Sam didn't decide to travel with her, but I'm guessing she'll pop up again and make more "calls."

Very solid episode, and I hope that despite my stream of consciousness coverage of it, you can tell how much I liked it. Certainly one of the best episodes in the series thus far.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

It hits like a storm when the plot ravels together in the last few episodes.

Get on that shit!
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

INB4thedadturnsouttobethedemon
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Did you not hear me when I said the show doesn't get retarded like that until season 7? :p
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Jigsaw wrote:INB4thedadturnsouttobethedemon
That would've been an eye-roll twist, glad it doesn't happen.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Just watched this seasons episode about the comic book store and it really took me back to when the show was at its peak just Sam and Dean going somewhere random and dealing with the supernatural. Stick to that recipe and Supernatural could go on for a long time.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Tiggnutz wrote:Just watched this seasons episode about the comic book store and it really took me back to when the show was at its peak just Sam and Dean going somewhere random and dealing with the supernatural. Stick to that recipe and Supernatural could go on for a long time.
As opposed to their run already? ;P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

The show lost its aura and charm after season 5.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Reign in Blood wrote:
Tiggnutz wrote:Just watched this seasons episode about the comic book store and it really took me back to when the show was at its peak just Sam and Dean going somewhere random and dealing with the supernatural. Stick to that recipe and Supernatural could go on for a long time.
As opposed to their run already? ;P
If they stop with the boring 4 season long storylines they could easily hit 20 years.