Watching Supernatural wit Jiggy

TV Series, Made for TV Movies. Netflix and Chill selections, whatever the cultural phenomenon that is Game of Thrones is.
Forum rules
People persecuting you? Being mean about your favourite show? Don't just take it, lawyer up. Better Call Saul
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Watching Supernatural wit Jiggy

Post by Jigsaw »

So, I've never seen Supernatural before. Not a single episode. The only thing I knew about it was the names of the main characters (Dean and Sam) and that it didn't look good. That said, I was bored earlier, and as NetFlix has most of the seasons, I thought I'd give it a whirl. Ending up rather enjoying the first episode, so I thought I'd make a thread and talk about the show episode-by-episode, noting anything of any interest.

From my understanding, Jason is about the only one here who watches/watched the show, so he might like my first impressions on a show I know next to nothing about. Otherwise, as long as I watch the show, this'll probably just be a thread of me ranting alone, which I'm cool with.

There will be spoilers as I discuss each episode, I'd suspect, but given that I literally don't know anything about the show (I cannot stress this), please do not spoil anything that happens in later episodes/seasons.

So, onto Season 1, Episode 1, "Pilot"

The gist I'm getting is that this show is a series-length version of Frailty (2001). How they hope to keep it interesting, I have no idea. There's no way they can keep up the "Let's go on a road-trip and look for dad" plot for even a season without getting repetitive. The prologue was decently creepy (until the hideous special effects during the mother's death), so that's a plus.

I only have a few words about Sam's girl Jess:

She was smoking (get it? she died by fire at the end), and it's a shame that she left the series so soon. That said, she has no place in a road-trip between brothers, so good riddance. Still, she was #smexy. :P

Both Sam and Dean seems likable. Sam admittedly loses points for dissing Black Sabbath and Metallica (Motörhead I could take or leave), and I have a feeling he'll just be moping and super-pissed these next few episodes, but I suppose that's understandable. Better to hunt demons than go to law school, though - that's what my grandfather always said.

Dean's pretty cool. Fake credit cards, fake identities for various law agencies, solid guy all around. That "squeal like a pig kind of trouble" line was amusing. And he works decently well with Sam, so that's looking good.

I'm taking note of what Sam said, from this quote: "You remember the poltergeist in Amherst? Or the Devil's Gates in Clifton?" - no idea if these are just throwaway lines, or if they have any relevance, but it's good to jot down.

The weeping woman, or woman in white, wasn't the most amazing ghost/monster/supernatural thingy to open the series with, but she was done well. I don't think she should be able to force herself onto a man and call that being unfaithful, though - strikes me as cheating. As Dean said, she was a bitch. At least she's at peace (INB4shecomesbackattheendoftheseasonasasurprisevillainwhokidnappedtheirfatherforsomereason). :P

All-in-all, a solid episode. I like how it looks to lead into the next on, taking place in Colorado. I sort of wonder if the police are going to be looking for them, as another subplot.

More importantly, I sort of wonder what happens when they find their father, and how they've managed to prolong this series into 15 seasons.

That's it for now, folks.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Jason
Administrator

Re: Watching Supernatural wit Jiggy

Post by Jason »

Ava, D, Tigg and MX watch the show too. The first three seasons was some of the best television I've ever seen. Then it started going downhill pretty hard around season 7 for me. But whatevs, everyone else seems to love it after that too.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Three good seasons out of 13. Not too shabby. :P

Watched Season 1 Episode 2 "Wendigo"

Mostly a filler episode, sort of solidifying the whole "while we look for dad, let's help out people against supernatural shit" thing. Still, some solid stuff.

The design for the wendigo was pretty fun, and I liked it well enough. Brings to point something I missed discussing about the first episode: I appreciate how both Dean and Sam know all of the commonly-encountered creatures/beings, Dean even pointing out that wendigo are generally in Minnesota and northern Michigan, not as far west as Colorado. Makes me wonder what the first "new" thing is that they'll run into.

How the wendigo popped up every 23 years reminded me, of course, of The Creeper. And Roy's death scene was pretty on point, just a long arm reaching down and snapping the dude's neck. Shame, because though he was intense, Roy had character.

Anyhow, "Wendigo" was a pretty decent filler episode, but hopefully there's not too many of these before they end up finding their father.

On a side-note, I just wondered earlier if Sam would ever be implicated in Jess' death. Sure, fires happen, but I wonder what the official story was, and I wonder if police are going to look closer at the incident?
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Have fun Jigster. The only seasons I didn't care for were 6 and 7, but it smooths back out. None of it is on par as the first 5 though. The ending of 5 has a conclusive ending that they planned, but because the show was so popular they kept going.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Have fun Jigster. The only seasons I didn't care for were 6 and 7, but it smooths back out. None of it is on par as the first 5 though. The ending of 5 has a conclusive ending that they planned, but because the show was so popular they kept going.
Well, that's comforting. Nothing like spreading a story too thin because it's popular. :lol:

Season 1, Episode 3 "Dead in the Water"

I liked "Wendigo" pretty well, but this one was even better. The story itself isn't all that removed from what you might find in a generic ghost movie, but it was put together really well.

I guess for the time being, Dean and Sam will be solving random mysteries until they catch a whiff of where their father went. Fun times (and not that unexpected). Shame that Dean struck out on the waitress, though - she was a gorgeous gal.

Giving Dean some additional depth is nice, as until now, Sam's gotten the most backstory. I sort of wonder if we'll see an episode flashing back to one of the cases that Dean and his father went hunting on, or something like that. Seems like something this show would do at some point.

There were some pretty suspenseful scenes here also, one with the sink and the other with the bathtub. The twist wasn't that amazing, but it was still serviceable and overall fun. A generic vengeful spirit isn't as appealing as either the Woman in White or the wendigo, but how well the story was put together made up for it.

Best piece of dialogue:

"Door number two sounds good."
"That's the one I'd pick."
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Yeah, season 6 wobbled a lot because they really didn't know where to go, and 7 was recovering from that. But it's been pretty consistently good after that, just not as good as the first 5.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

My favorite episode of season 1 is definitely Scarecrow. Can't wait to see you get to that one.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:My favorite episode of season 1 is definitely Scarecrow. Can't wait to see you get to that one.
I'm going to limit myself to at most three episodes a day (and most likely, most days I won't be able to fit three in), but I'll be posting at least some thoughts on every episode, so keep a look out. :)
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Love it and have not been to disappointed with any season so far
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Jigsaw wrote:Three good seasons out of 13. Not too shabby. :P
No. Three absolutely phenomenal seasons out of 13. 4 & 5 dropped a tier. But still absolutely solid, though I think they should've closed it out at 5. 6 was surprisingly on par with 4 & 5. 7 & 8 saw an unmistakable drop in quality. 9, 10 & 11 were significant improvements. I haven't seen the two after that.

Important to note that this isn't an HBO, Shotime or AMC show. This was on local WB/CW. It did incredibly well for a show so limited in what it's allowed to do.

Seasons 1-3 is the most fun I've ever had watching any TV show.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:Have fun Jigster. The only seasons I didn't care for were 6 and 7, but it smooths back out. None of it is on par as the first 5 though. The ending of 5 has a conclusive ending that they planned, but because the show was so popular they kept going.
Pretty much this. Ending at 5 would've left me with a much better taste in my mouth about the show.

No gay jokes.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:My favorite episode of season 1 is definitely Scarecrow. Can't wait to see you get to that one.
I was gonna mention that one. My favorite as well, methinks.

The music in the show, especially the first three seasons, is pretty much exactly the music I listen to on the regular. With Scarecrow, though, they missed a golden opportunity to feature John Mellencamp's best song, Rain On The Scarecrow.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Jigsaw wrote:
I'm going to limit myself to at most three episodes a day (and most likely, most days I won't be able to fit three in), but I'll be posting at least some thoughts on every episode, so keep a look out. :)
You'll be done with season 3 by the end of the month. :p
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Jason wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:
You'll be done with season 3 by the end of the month. :p
If I was actually able to watch three episodes each day, sure. Most days, I'll likely only get one, if that. While I really liked the first three episodes, I do have other things that require my attention. :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

We'll see, fam.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Thoughts on Season 1 Episode 4 "Phantom Traveler"

Well, it's nice to see Dean and Sam play for the big stakes. Major plane crash (which was done really well, considering the budget), impersonating Homeland Security agents (one of these days, I fully expect these guys to go to prison), and going against a motherfucking demon.

Overall, a very solid episode, though lacking the charm of the previous few. Dean's fear of flying was pretty fun, as was Sam's suggestion of not only speaking the name of God to the demon to see if it flinches, but speaking it in Latin. Just the fact he knew "hey, this is a better way than holy water" is fun.

Given the ending, where the father's message is recommending people call Dean if they need help, is interesting. No idea what the father's up to, but I do suspect he's alive and doing something. Oh, and a shame about Jess burning in hell and all that. Shame Sam couldn't tap that one more time.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Season 1 Episode 5 "Bloody Mary"

Very solid episode. The fact that Sam had dreams prior to Jessica's death strikes me as being important, so we'll see where it leads. The vengeful spirit was great, and the whole, slightly more horror tone, of the episode was welcomed. Solid deaths, also. I don't really have much else to say, other than that it was a pretty good episode.

Season 1, Episode 6 "Skin"

The difference between Dean and Sam is further examined here. Sam has friends he made in college he'd like to stay in contact with, whereas Dean just doesn't have any interest in the constant lying. It's an interesting dynamic, especially when the shape-shifter began Dean and it became obvious that, to some extend, Dean's flippant remakes just show his jealousy toward the fact Sam got to live a somewhat normal life for a time.

I loved how, when the shape-shifter did replace Dean, they didn't try to drag it out or surprise us. Sam knew from the beginning, which of course he would, and it saved the episode from going a somewhat cliche route. Overall, while not as fun as previous episodes, it was still a solid way to spend your time.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

But most importantly, what do you think of the music?
Ava
Charter Member

Post by Ava »

[quote="Jason"]Ava, D, Tigg and MX watch the show too.

Yup. Still do. :D :D :D
I don't like the later seasons as much as the early ones but at least 2 or three a season I truly love. Plus this season they did an action that made me so happy. Not gonna say more and spoil for Jig.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Jason wrote:But most importantly, what do you think of the music?
You'll love this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Supernatural/c ... n_netflix/

First season of Supernatural changed a lot of their music. When I found this out on the episode "Skins," I re-watched sequences from previous episodes online, and will watch the first season online via DVD rips and not Netflix. After the first season, though, everything's good from my understanding.

AC/DC, Rush, Black Sabbath, Iron Butterfly, and (randomly) Fall Out Boy - what's not to love? :P

Ava wrote: Not gonna say more and spoil for Jig.
Appreciate that, Ava. *thumbs up*

One thing I missed about "Skin" - the special effects were brutally brutal. When the guy was pealing his skin off, that was harsh stuff.