Jeepers Creepers 3

News and thoughts on new movies.
zombie
Administrator

Re: Jeepers Creepers 3

Post by zombie »

Reign in Blood wrote:
zombie wrote:fair enough. i just feel that we've never judged the greatness of horror on box office, but on appeal and acclaim. horror is the weird genre out that box office success does not equal influence or favor for the majority of films. texas chain saw massacre was nowhere on the lists we cited, for boxoffice, but everyone would agree that it is among the most influential and acclaimed ever. night of the living dead is another such example. (though not 70s or 80s)
Foo's better than that.
i guess so. :P
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

It matters when we are talking about what gets made and what gets in theaters. That is the influence of the box office.

This is not about my favorite movies, it is about what is getting to theaters.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

horror is making it to theaters and succeeding. the genre goes in cycles, and we likely won't get something like the 70s or 80s in terms of qualify. but the 2000s were particularly strong, notwithstanding.

so, the question becomes what do you wanna see out of horror, theatrically?
Headhunter
Charter Member

Post by Headhunter »

Horror needs to continue doing what it's always done. Build around the fears of contemporary society. Horror has a built-in brand that never loses its core appeal.
Not removing until John Elway is fired.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:horror is making it to theaters and succeeding. the genre goes in cycles, and we likely won't get something like the 70s or 80s in terms of qualify. but the 2000s were particularly strong, notwithstanding.

I would like to see grittier horror and not built around pre-existing brands. Theatrically, there is a reluctance to make those because they do not make much money.

The only reason It got any significant push is because it is an existing brand, not that it is supposed to be particularly gritty, but does that same script get any push behind it if it is original?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:horror is making it to theaters and succeeding. the genre goes in cycles, and we likely won't get something like the 70s or 80s in terms of qualify. but the 2000s were particularly strong, notwithstanding.

I would like to see grittier horror and not built around pre-existing brands. Theatrically, there is a reluctance to make those because they do not make much money.

The only reason It got any significant push is because it is an existing brand, not that it is supposed to be particularly gritty, but does that same script get any push behind it if it is original?
yeah, it probably got a lot of push from name recognition, as production goes. i don't think that accounts for the hype and expectation around it though. i also don't consider that to be gritty at all. so it's a little weird that you apply that label, even if it's "not particularly". no one claimed that, so it's on you. :P

gritty to me would be something along the lines of the devil's rejects. and rob zombie is reportedly gong back to that with a new film. but that is an existing property. what are some of the more recent horror flicks that you would consider to be gritty? so i've got something more to go on.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

do you like any recent (2010-2017) horror flicks at all, foo? american mary, it follows, don't breathe? anything at all?
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

American Mary stunk it up. Was surprised when peeps finally started watching it that they actually liked it. Prompted a rewatch from me, no opinion shift.

JaySherman.jpg
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

did you watch it before the most of us? interesting. sorry you didn't find the appeal though.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

yeah, it probably got a lot of push from name recognition, as production goes. i don't think that accounts for the hype and expectation around it though. i also don't consider that to be gritty at all. so it's a little weird that you apply that label, even if it's "not particularly". no one claimed that, so it's on you. :P

gritty to me would be something along the lines of the devil's rejects. and rob zombie is reportedly gong back to that with a new film. but that is an existing property. what are some of the more recent horror flicks that you would consider to be gritty? so i've got something more to go on.
The Devils Rejects, High Tension, Hostel, Hills Have Eyes...then I start to struggle at movies that actually had a US theatrical run of any note.

Since 2010, the horror landscape has been dominated by Blumhouse shit, and practically nothing else.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
The Devils Rejects, High Tension, Hostel, Hills Have Eyes...then I start to struggle at movies that actually had a US theatrical run of any note.

Since 2010, the horror landscape has been dominated by Blumhouse shit, and practically nothing else.
you don't have any interest to give a try to the movies that don't make wide theatrical release?

i can't think of anything recent like the stuff you mention, so not so much gritty, but there is still some cool non-blumhouse stuff. at least in my opinion.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:do you like any recent (2010-2017) horror flicks at all, foo? american mary, it follows, don't breathe? anything at all?
Have no interest in American Mary. Katharine Isabelle is terrible. The other two I would like to see.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:do you like any recent (2010-2017) horror flicks at all, foo? american mary, it follows, don't breathe? anything at all?
Have no interest in American Mary. Katharine Isabelle is terrible. The other two I would like to see.
ouch. :P just cause of being bitchy? i remember you don't like her criticizing freddy vs. jason. or is it more than that?
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote:did you watch it before the most of us? interesting. sorry you didn't find the appeal though.
Yeah, I bought it around the time it got released. Was disappointed. :(
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:
zombie wrote:did you watch it before the most of us? interesting. sorry you didn't find the appeal though.
Yeah, I bought it around the time it got released. Was disappointed. :(
so, you probably saw it around the time that i did. fair enough. you and i don't often see eye to eye on horror. :P
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:

you don't have any interest to give a try to the movies that don't make wide theatrical release?

i can't think of anything recent like the stuff you mention, so not so much gritty, but there is still some cool non-blumhouse stuff. at least in my opinion.
Of course I have interest in non-theatrical stuff. That is not the point. The point is direction of horror is demonstrated by theaters, not outliers that are direct to digital.

Horror has gone through many phases, but there have always been outliers outside of the studios. Demonic possession movies had their time and well after they were out of style, you saw them still pop up on video. The overall direction of the genre at this moment is not interesting to me. At some point, either my taste will change or it swings back to something I like.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
Of course I have interest in non-theatrical stuff. That is not the point. The point is direction of horror is demonstrated by theaters, not outliers that are direct to digital.

Horror has gone through many phases, but there have always been outliers outside of the studios. Demonic possession movies had their time and well after they were out of style, you saw them still pop up on video. The overall direction of the genre at this moment is not interesting to me. At some point, either my taste will change or it swings back to something I like.
yeah, right now it's primarily supernatural as far as theatrical goes. but horror goes in phases. hopefully the 2020s will resemble the 2000s more than the 2010s. :P
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
ouch. :P just cause of being bitchy? i remember you don't like her criticizing freddy vs. jason. or is it more than that?
I just don't see anything in her.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Zombie, if they remake Sleepaway Camp, do you think they should try to hire an actual tranny to play Angela?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

no, i don't. there's no need for that.

also, don't think sleepaway camp will ever get remade. it seems too obscure to me.