News and thoughts on new movies.
zombie
Administrator

Re: It (2017)

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:what do you consider first tier and second tier, in terms of actual numbers?
I think to move into the first tier you would need to be at least in the neighborhood of top 100 adjusted. The Exorcist and Jaws and 7 and 9 respectively. Top tier is tentpole type of business.

Tier 2 I would look around the $200 million adjusted mark. This would be the area where studios would bring it up in investor conference calls, still actively similar properties to develop, etc.
according to boxoffice mojo, it is #68 of rated r movies, adjusted.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/do ... 017&p=.htm

so that would be tier 1? i haven't found a list for just horror though.
I officially award IT status as "Tier 1 Industry Influencer".

Hundreds of scripts were reviewed and re-evaluated immediately after the huge opening, I am sure.
here's hoping that saw legacy does well too. maybe jason is right about making horror great again. :P
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

Rooting for Leatherface to be a hit.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

didn't expect the exorcist to be the top (by a good margin) for all r rated movies though. take that horror naysayers! :P
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:didn't expect the exorcist to be the top (by a good margin) for all r rated movies though. take that horror naysayers! :P
It can hardly be over stated how big The Exorcist was when you consider content. Changed cinema. Sometimes change is so sweeping and enormous it is overlooked.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Foo wrote:
zombie wrote:didn't expect the exorcist to be the top (by a good margin) for all r rated movies though. take that horror naysayers! :P
It can hardly be over stated how big The Exorcist was when you consider content. Changed cinema. Sometimes change is so sweeping and enormous it is overlooked.
i'll agree that the exorcist did a lot for horror. i don't know about the whole overlooked thing though. maybe forgotten would be accurate though.
Foo
Administrator

Post by Foo »

zombie wrote:
Foo wrote:
i'll agree that the exorcist did a lot for horror. i don't know about the whole overlooked thing though. maybe forgotten would be accurate though.
Just think about what it did for movies with purely adult themes and stretching boundaries. One of the biggest movies of all time shows a child violently masturbating with a crucifix and graphic vomiting, etc. Language...
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

put it in the context of religion and you can get away with murder (cinematically). :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

The IT remake comes roaring in, bringing asses into the seats, selling out like crazy and now the horror genre seems back on the rise. And what big movie comes out in theaters next??: ... ... Friend Request...

Fun while it lasted.
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

They can’t all be winners. Still good to see this filling seats.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

fun while it lasted? it is going to stomp over friend request and we'll still have a chance for some great horror to come.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

zombie wrote:fun while it lasted? it is going to stomp over friend request and we'll still have a chance for some great horror to come.
Like most actual Friend Requests...it will be forgotten :P
showa58taro
Administrator

Post by showa58taro »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:
zombie wrote:fun while it lasted? it is going to stomp over friend request and we'll still have a chance for some great horror to come.
Like most actual Friend Requests...it will be forgotten :P
Oicwatudidthere.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

I will stomp over Friend Request. That's not the point. I just want to see a good stretch run of horror in theaters for once.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:
I will stomp over Friend Request. That's not the point. I just want to see a good stretch run of horror in theaters for once.
annabelle 2, it, jeepers creepers 3, leatherface, saw legacy. looks hopefully good to me.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

zombie wrote:annabelle 2... looks hopefully good to me.
Seriously?
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Slaughterhouserock wrote:
zombie wrote:annabelle 2... looks hopefully good to me.
Seriously?
i've heard good things about it, a lot better than the first is the word so far. i haven't seen it myself, hence "hopefully". and this is just theatrical. i think the better horror stuff tends to not be in theaters or only limited in theaters, usually.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

zombie wrote:i've heard good things about it, a lot better than the first is the word so far. i haven't seen it myself, hence "hopefully". and this is just theatrical. i think the better horror stuff tends to not be in theaters or only limited in theaters, usually.
Good things from actual horror fans? Or good things from the general public? And by that I mean the same people that think shit like Lights Out and The Babadook are amazing? Cause it looks like warmed over shit to me.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Slaughterhouserock wrote:
zombie wrote:i've heard good things about it, a lot better than the first is the word so far. i haven't seen it myself, hence "hopefully". and this is just theatrical. i think the better horror stuff tends to not be in theaters or only limited in theaters, usually.
Good things from actual horror fans? Or good things from the general public? And by that I mean the same people that think shit like Lights Out and The Babadook are amazing? Cause it looks like warmed over shit to me.
well, it's mostly youtube critics and such. i haven't heard a lot about it here.

but as for actual horror fans... most don't like repo! or oculus and such, so i take that with a grain of salt. i'm an actual horror fan and i like both a lot. :P
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Repo isn't even a horror movie, yo. Oculus was p. decent.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

repo is a horror movie musical.