October Challenge 2020 Discussion Thread

Participate in our annual horror movie binge-watching throughout the month of October.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Re: October Challenge 2020 Discussion Thread

Post by Jigsaw »

Been waiting for this day all month.

I'll be watching seven different versions of The Hound of the Baskervilles - 1914, 1929, 1937, 1939, 1959, 1972, and 1983. Three of these are rewatches (1939, 1959, and 1972). Should be a fun time.
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

So the 1929 version is missing a few portions, so in those missing moments, the restoration summarizes the plot while using stills of characters introduced within the missing scenes.

Actually works out quite well, and a bit better than some telesnap recreations that Doctor Who later had to do (such as the DVD release for The Underwater Menace from the Second Doctor).
For my thoughts on the horror films I've seen, please look here: https://jigsawshorrorcorner.wordpress.com/
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

The Holmes from the 1914 version (Alwin Neuß) was, in my opinion, a better rendition than the 1929 version (Carlyle Blackwell), but I will give the 1929 version a far stronger sense of ominous atmosphere present, and that opening was killer.

Onto the 1937 version.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Jigsaw wrote:Been waiting for this day all month.

I'll be watching seven different versions of The Hound of the Baskervilles - 1914, 1929, 1937, 1939, 1959, 1972, and 1983. Three of these are rewatches (1939, 1959, and 1972). Should be a fun time.
Oh damn
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Despite the 1937 being the weakest of the first three, I do think that the Sherlock Holmes (Bruno Güttner) was the best-portrayed there. It probably helped that the movie wasn't silent, but neither the 1914 nor 1929 really showed a more analytic side of him, whereas Bruno Güttner's portrayal was more in line with what you might see from more modern-day adaptations.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

Onto one of the most classic versions, 1939's starring Basil Rathbone.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

I think I've only seen 3 of those, and pretty sure 59 one was my favorite, but I'm so unsure because now it's been a while since I've seen it. I know I didn't care for one of the later ones (pretty sure it was the 83 one, with Lancelot from Excalibur). I believe the 39 one was the other one I've seen, but not since I was *much* younger.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote:I think I've only seen 3 of those, and pretty sure 59 one was my favorite, but I'm so unsure because now it's been a while since I've seen it. I know I didn't care for one of the later ones (pretty sure it was the 83 one, with Lancelot from Excalibur). I believe the 39 one was the other one I've seen, but not since I was *much* younger.
'59 with Cushing is a fantastic movie (just about to start it shortly), and it helps that it's both Hammer and in color, but I'd recommend looking back on the '39 version whenever the moment arises.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jigsaw wrote:
zombie wrote:really liking what keeps you alive, so far. so i hope the ending doesn't blow it like it did for jiggy. :P
It didn't necessarily blow it (I still rated the movie an average rating of 7/10) but I do think it could have been better, especially with the first half of the film being a decent 8.5/10.
the ending was a slight drawback to an otherwise good ride.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

bad blood looks to be fun low budget fare, so far. hope it keeps up.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Ready or Not in 4k
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Jigsaw wrote:
DancesWithWerewolves wrote:I think I've only seen 3 of those, and pretty sure 59 one was my favorite, but I'm so unsure because now it's been a while since I've seen it. I know I didn't care for one of the later ones (pretty sure it was the 83 one, with Lancelot from Excalibur). I believe the 39 one was the other one I've seen, but not since I was *much* younger.
'59 with Cushing is a fantastic movie (just about to start it shortly), and it helps that it's both Hammer and in color, but I'd recommend looking back on the '39 version whenever the moment arises.
I might actually do so.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Watching a retrospective on Halloween 5 before I start anything. Layton Eversaul puts together pretty damn good retrospective/reviews on youtube, and he just freshly uploaded this.
Jigsaw
Charter Member

Post by Jigsaw »

So I've seen the 1972 television version before, but God, talk about a dry and tedious movie. It's the first one that's getting a below average rating, and not just a little below. :P
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

zombie wrote:bad blood looks to be fun low budget fare, so far. hope it keeps up.
chalk it up to another dead hate the living kind of flick, that only i'll dig. :P
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

New watch Bliss
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Tiggnutz wrote:New watch Bliss
I waited to watch this because it looked like something I would hate. So far I was right :|
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

No new watches this year. I've got a handful or two or watches this year. Really a pathetic outing.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote:No new watches this year. I've got a handful or two or watches this year. Really a pathetic outing.
you still have time.