Biggest Opinion Shift in Movies?

You can talk about anything here
Jason
Administrator

Biggest Opinion Shift in Movies?

Post by Jason »

Ever have those movies that you like/dislike the first viewing, but your opinion changes, whether over time or in the next viewing?

I picked one for each.

Drive is a movie I thought was poor, at best decent when I first watched it. 2nd viewing, I was blown away.
Anchorman I used to love, now I barely find any of it even remotely funny.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Re: Biggest Opinion Shift in Movies?

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

Jason wrote:Ever have those movies that you like/dislike the first viewing, but your opinions changes, whether over time or in the next viewing?

I picked one for each.

Drive is a movie I thought was poor, at best decent when I first watched it. 2nd viewing, I was blown away.
Anchorman I used to love, now I barely find any of it even remotely funny.

I remember being bored to fucking tears when I first saw The Exorcist. Rewatched 5 years or so later, and for some reason I got hooked and now it's in my top 20 movies. *shrug*

As for the other way around...

Jason X? I know when I first saw it, I enjoyed it because I was starved for a new Jason movie. Rewatches pulled the wool from my eyes. Now I think it's the worst of each Friday the 13th related movie.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

halloween. i didn't like it for a long time. but it has since grown on me. (i blame you guys. :P ) and it's among my favorites now.

terminator 2. i loved it, but the most recent viewing i really saw the flaws in it. i don't know if that was because i watched the director's cut or because i wasn't so much in the mood at the time i watched it. (or a combination of the both) but i hope it doesn't last. :P
Dream
Charter Member

Post by Dream »

I'm having trouble thinking of one for either side...

I can think of some that I used to hate but can now tolerate, but that's not such a big shift in opinion...

Possibly F13? I used to loathe it, now I can watch it without being irritated, I'm just bored, so there's that.

That's a good question though, I'm gonna think on it and see if I can come up with something else. I don't think my taste has changed very much since I was a kid though, I still pretty much like and dislike the same movies, they just ebb and flow as to how much I like or dislike them. This is gonna be on my mind until I come up with one where my opinion actually changed on the movie though :P
I started an erotic writing podcast with a friend
Monster
Charter Member

Post by Monster »

Halloween III was a disappointment for obvious reasons. I've come to love it though.
Jmac Attack
Charter Member

Post by Jmac Attack »

I didn't like Friday the 13th part V.....now the only one keeping it from the top spot is part IV.

Drive Angry was another one I didn't like but dig now.

Fight Club was great....but I don't love it anymore.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

I always thought Fight Club was pretty good. The "Guess what?! Everything that happened in this movie didn't totally happen that way" endings usually bug the shit out of me. But I didn't mind Fight Club's so much.

Only other one I can think of is Predator. I liked it well enough my first viewing, my second viewing it became one of my all time favorite movies ever, and easily my #1 Arnold flick. Always liked it, but that was a big opinion shift.