Recently Watched Movies

You can talk about anything here
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Re: Recently Watched Movies

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

Freddy's Fridays. A guy is sacrificing women every friday to demons. I really dig the costume design, everything else was kinda ass. The acting is bad, there's cg blood that looks awful, the kills are forgettable. That being said, I think it's a decent cheesy horror. Hell, I'd say it was better than most shit I've seen in recent years. Yeah, the acting was shit, but they were trying, it wasn't tongue-in-cheek like most shit these days(a major pet peeve of mine). This could have easily been made by Charlie Band in the 90's, so I say check it out.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

All Hallows Eve Trickster. Anthology horror sequel. Most of the segments were kinda meh and forgettable, but they were really short, so at least I didn't have to dwell on them. Highlight was the one-eyed alien with a monster dick that anally raped a guy. Kinda like a comedy version of Entrails of a Beautiful Woman(which was also funny, but probably wasn't meant to be). The tie-in segment had some cool costume design, but was otherwise pointless with a dumb ending. Worth checking out if you like anthology horror films, but don't expect anything special.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Here For Blood. A lady gets her wrestler boyfriend to fill in at her babysitting job where he ends up having to fight off a cult. This was an all-around fun time. Tons of over the top violence, plenty of laughs, and great characters. It almost has a troma feel to it, but with a better budget. The plot was even surprisingly thought out and kept expanding as the film went on. I was expecting a simple home invasion plot when I started, so that was a pleasant surprise. One of the better films I've seen from recent years. Highly recommend.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Life of Belle. Found footage film depicting the days leading up to a little girl's disappearance. Supposedly had a budget of $300 and is shot almost entirely inside the house using security cameras and a handheld camera the girl has. The acting is surprisingly good considering it's just a couple kids and their mom for most of the runtime. The setup and ending are questionable, but aren't horrible. Probably not a good idea to watch if you're a parent of a young kid, though, as it shows them having to deal with the mental breakdown of their mother. Better than most found footage shit, so I say check it out if you get a chance.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Killers of the Flower Moon

Disturbing. Scary. Tragic. Very good movie. Possibly a top 5 all time movie about (or involving) American Indians.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Poor Things. Went into this blind and it was ok. Very visually appealing and lots of philosophical shit about life and morality. Reminded me of The Bride a bit, but obviously on a much larger scale. Did not expect all the sex. Whole lotta sex. Dragged on a bit, but never got boring. Interesting film that I'll never watch again.

The Seed. Also a blind watch. Also had some weird sex shenanigans. About an alien creature with psychic powers that wants to bang. Less explicit than Poor Things, but with 100% more fleshy sac sex. Reminded me of a less crazy Xtro, with a dash of Society thrown in. Of note, the wire used to move the hand of the creature was very noticeable in one scene. And the scene with it in the bed just gave me a "yeah, I'm a pimp" feeling that was hilarious.
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Poor Things - It's better than I expected a few things did make me laugh out loud. There are themes about female empowerment told in an insanely strange way that I thought were more ridiculous than anything else but overall the acting is great the visuals are outstanding and it made me laugh. B- ( Also lots and lots of sex )
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Indian Summer (1993)

Finally watched this movie. It's kind of like a reimagining of The Big Chill, but instead of college friends reuniting for a friend's funeral It's a bunch of childhood camp friends reuniting at camp with their old camp counselor for the last time before it closes down. One of the very few Bill Paxton movies I hadn't seen until now. His death still hurts 7+ years later. No matter what movie I watch with him in it, at some point during the movie I remind myself that he's gone and what a massive bummer it was. A very solid movie, nonetheless. The Big Chill is an all timer for me, so Indian Summer falls short of equaling it, but an absolute recommendation, for sure.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Jason wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:42 am Indian Summer (1993)

Finally watched this movie. It's kind of like a reimagining of The Big Chill, but instead of college friends reuniting for a friend's funeral It's a bunch of childhood camp friends reuniting at camp with their old camp counselor for the last time before it closes down. One of the very few Bill Paxton movies I hadn't seen until now. His death still hurts 7+ years later. No matter what movie I watch with him in it, at some point during the movie I remind myself that he's gone and what a massive bummer it was. A very solid movie, nonetheless. The Big Chill is an all timer for me, so Indian Summer falls short of equaling it, but an absolute recommendation, for sure.
I just watched Crossing the Bridge by the same writer/director. Not bad, looks like he tells original stories based on his childhood/growing up.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Reign in Blood wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:17 pm
Jason wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:42 am Indian Summer (1993)

I just watched Crossing the Bridge by the same writer/director. Not bad, looks like he tells original stories based on his childhood/growing up.
I looked it up. One thing this dude knows how to do is put great music in his movies. One look at that soundtrack from those two flicks and I'm already in no matter what.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

poor things was stunning to look at and very well acted, it kind of dragged with the segments and then really rushed the final segment for my taste, but it is my favorite lanthimos film so far. so that's a plus. also... cheese to meet you. :P
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Crabs! Comedy about killer horseshoe crabs. It's surprisingly funny, but has some garbage cgi. I thought I'd hate the comic relief character, but he ended up being funny stupid instead of just stupid. It's just a dumb fun film.
Lazerus

Post by Lazerus »

Highlander the original
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Frogman. Found footage film about a guy trying to get footage of the frogman that he saw as a kid. It took a turn I didn't expect, but still ended the way you think it would. It does set itself up for a sequel, though, which is weird for a found footage film. It's short and decent, so worth a watch if you got some time to kill.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Satanic Hispanics. Anthology horror with an hispanic theme. First, awesome name. Second, the wrap-around story stars Pedro from Napoleon Dynamite. Partly serious, partly cheesy fun. The stories involve ghosts, a vampire, a witch, and some demons. The last story is pure comedy, but is worth it for how ridiculous it is. If you're a fan of anthologies, check it out.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Arcadian. In a future where creatures hunt us in the night, watch as a teenage boy puts everyone in danger because he got a boner. The creatures are...weird. Still not sure how I feel about them, but they're definitely different. The camerawork is pretty shitty; it's almost entirely handheld and when it's dark, you can't see shit. The characters are typical clichéd stereotypes. And the ending, well, it happened. There are worse ways to kill 90 minutes, but there are far better, too.