October Challenge 2023 Discussion Thread

Participate in our annual horror movie binge-watching throughout the month of October.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Re: October Challenge 2023 Discussion Thread

Post by DancesWithWerewolves »

The Lair features much of the same flaws of Dog Soldiers (generic monster shoot'em-up, plus lots of bad soldiery one-liners), but amplified even worse.

And manages to look even cheaper.
zombie
Administrator

Post by zombie »

Jason wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:25 pm Definitely some Wizard of Oz color and some Sherry Bobbins stuff. I really felt the Lizzie Borden shit at the end. lol. Unless that was just a major coincidence.
lizzie borden didn't come to mind for me. but i'm not familiar with that, the way you are. it could be an inspiration in the story, i suppoae.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:36 pm For MaXXXine we're looking at 80's sleaze, lol.
It's already my favorite then. Lol
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

zombie wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:11 pm
Jason wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:25 pm Definitely some Wizard of Oz color and some Sherry Bobbins stuff. I really felt the Lizzie Borden shit at the end. lol. Unless that was just a major coincidence.
lizzie borden didn't come to mind for me. but i'm not familiar with that, the way you are. it could be an inspiration in the story, i suppoae.
Spoilers for Pearl below...

Well, mainly just the way she was dressed at the end in that old style as she chased down Howard's sister and chopped her death with an axe.

I'm sure you've heard the nursery rhyme... "Lizzie Borden took an ax..."
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

If I hadn't known The Lair was a Neil Marshall film, I'd have assumed it was a SyFy movie of the week.
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Glorious was pretty damn good. An A (let alone A+) feels too strong of a grade (I may have to sit on that) but I think it's the contender for best new-watch so far. No clear front runner, but at least a handful of A-'s so far. Lots of D ranges too. At least no F (so far).
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:50 am Glorious was pretty damn good. An A (let alone A+) feels too strong of a grade (I may have to sit on that) but I think it's the contender for best new-watch so far. No clear front runner, but at least a handful of A-'s so far. Lots of D ranges too. At least no F (so far).
Check out the Killing of a Sacred Deer for a nice little F'er rating
Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Jason wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:51 pm
Tiggnutz wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:37 pm
Tiggnutz wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:10 pm New watch The Pope's Exorcist
I wanna like this more but there is just zero originality in these exorcism films. The way this steals from the Exorcist is almost shameful. C+
Wait til you see Exorcist Believer. :P
At least that's in the same franchise
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Put on 30 Days of Night late last night. Got about 45 minutes in and passed the movie to play with the kiddo and put her to bed. Dozed off for a couple hours, woke up at 3:30 A.M. with a fuckload of energy. Finished off 30 Days of Night, now I'm further destroying my sleep pattern and putting on Hell Night. :P

Been about ten years since I've last seen this one I think.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Tiggnutz wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:06 am
Jason wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:51 pm
Tiggnutz wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:37 pm
Tiggnutz wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:10 pm New watch The Pope's Exorcist
I wanna like this more but there is just zero originality in these exorcism films. The way this steals from the Exorcist is almost shameful. C+
Wait til you see Exorcist Believer. :P
At least that's in the same franchise
But is worse.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:29 pm If I hadn't known The Lair was a Neil Marshall film, I'd have assumed it was a SyFy movie of the week.
I know, what the fuck happened? I actually liked his Hellboy with Hopp better than the original and then he went to shit. I think he hit the bottle hard during the pandemic or summat.
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Only for Jason, could be Paul Bunyan or Madman Marz, motherfucker is still gonna be dreaming about Lizzie Borden, he loves that sick bitch.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

7 minutes into Hell Night, a guy asks "Is there something funny about a man murdering his family and then killing himself", but reading his lips, they clearly mute the guy when he says "fucking killing himself".

I'm watching the Scream Factory bluray. I'm gonna check my old DVD copy tomorrow to see if it was taken out of that one too.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Reign in Blood wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:47 am
Only for Jason, could be Paul Bunyan or Madman Marz, motherfucker is still gonna be dreaming about Lizzie Borden, he loves that sick bitch.
Did you know:

The woman who played Lizzie Borden (Elizabeth Montgomery) in the 1975 made for TV movie The Legend of Lizzie Borden was actually her sixth cousin once removed, both descending from 17th-century Massachusetts resident John Luther. Rhonda McClure, the genealogist who documented the Montgomery-Borden connection, said, "I wonder how Elizabeth would have felt if she knew she was playing her own cousin." One of the gowns which was worn by Montgomery in the film is on display at the Lizzie Borden bed-and-breakfast which now occupies the Borden house...

I mean... the more you fucking know right?
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

DancesWithWerewolves wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:50 am Glorious was pretty damn good. An A (let alone A+) feels too strong of a grade (I may have to sit on that) but I think it's the contender for best new-watch so far. No clear front runner, but at least a handful of A-'s so far. Lots of D ranges too. At least no F (so far).
Is that the one in the shitter?
Reign in Blood
Administrator

Post by Reign in Blood »

Jason wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:55 am
Did you know:

The woman who played Lizzie Borden (Elizabeth Montgomery) in the 1975 made for TV movie The Legend of Lizzie Borden was actually her sixth cousin once removed, both descending from 17th-century Massachusetts resident John Luther. Rhonda McClure, the genealogist who documented the Montgomery-Borden connection, said, "I wonder how Elizabeth would have felt if she knew she was playing her own cousin." One of the gowns which was worn by Montgomery in the film is on display at the Lizzie Borden bed-and-breakfast which now occupies the Borden house...

How she would have felt? I don't give a shit about any of my sixth cousins once removed.
Jason
Administrator

Post by Jason »

Reign in Blood wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:08 am
Jason wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:55 am
Did you know:

How she would have felt? I don't give a shit about any of my sixth cousins once removed.
What if it was Patrick Swayze
DancesWithWerewolves
Administrator

Reign in Blood wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:06 am
Is that the one in the shitter?
Si. With JK Simmons as the voice of a Great Old One (sorta) talking a dude into helping him not destroy existence.
Slaughterhouserock
Administrator

Post by Slaughterhouserock »

Is it weird that this is what I think of when someone mentions Lizzie Borden?

Tiggnutz
Administrator

Post by Tiggnutz »

Five Nights at Freddy's. All I know is it's from a video game I've also never seen.